What anime series are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by mrhillz, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That was me, and yeah, I preordered it when it went up back in August. Thanks though.

As for YYH, the box set is bullshit. Not just because they're locking the OVA to this collection that people already own the series to, but they're not even including the two theatrical films.

2. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

Okay. Saw that on the front page today and hadn't noticed it before, so I assumed it had gone up recently.

I'm actually considering getting the Yu Yu Hakusho collection at some point. I haven't bought any of the series since the old single-disc releases (at $20-30 for 3-4 episodes...), and even that I don't have complete. I had kind of thought the movie(s) might be included under the "OVA" label, but I don't remember caring much for the one movie I already own, so it's not a big loss to me personally.

3. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    See, I've never seen the movies so it would have been a reason to get me to want to buy the box set.

4. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Music video (it's a clip but they call it a video) for one piece red is out. I guess the soundtrack is really big in japan right now.

Also, the movie in japan made Japan's top 10 defeating harry potter 2!

In other words, it's doing big there.

5. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

• Like Like x 1
  6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finished Vermeil in Gold.

Pretty archetypical ecchi/magic battle school series, and an obviously low-budget one at that. It doesn't really do a whole lot to differentiate itself in this first season.

But...but, if it actually manages to get a second season, I think I'm in (unless its reception is extremely poor).

The one thing it has going in its favour is that this season was very fast paced, by genre standards. It's already moved past many of the sticking points that cause many similar series to tread water for indeterminate lengths of time.

The third-wheel love triangle cliche was practically dead on arrival (does make me wonder what Lilia's purpose is in the story, going forward). The fact that it's set in a prestigious magic academy means that the characters are halfway competent from the beginning instead of needing a lot of training and coddling to reveal their potential. And Alto's "gotta be the very best" personal goal actually dovetails nicely with the antagonist plot, streamlining his character growth (contrast to, say, Naruto, whose "become Hokage" goal isn't something he has an easily projectable path forward with).

Alto doesn't quite manage to shake the generic milquetoast protagonist syndrome, but his rapid social advances give him a lot of potential. And he managed to do in about 10 episodes what takes most anime/manga protags their whole damned series to do.

The dangling villain plot thread also serves a not insignificant point of intrigue:
    the fact that seemingly all of the Platinum Squares, the world's top mages and revolutionary scholars, have entered into this conspiratorial pact to "destroy the world" really makes one question what exactly it is they've discovered.

Even by "designated best girl" standards, Vermeil is top-tier adorable. I kinda hope the series hasn't shot its load too quickly as far as her relationship with Alto goes. While I highly appreciate the series sidestepping the wishy-washy romance, I do wonder how that dynamic moves forward, hopefully without sadistically toying with them. I really like how, despite the imbalance of power between them, they never treat each other as anything but equals.

While most definitely wish-fulfillment, I'm sort of liking this trend towards more wholesome, egalitarian romances as of late, as opposed to the almost toxic tsundere worship that plagued 2000s-era anime/manga. It's a good thing that the role models are more well-adjusted and healthy.

So, painfully average start, but a huge world of potential moving forward.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. IronMonger986

IronMonger986 Well-Known Member

Getting back into Gundam now. Just picked up Gundam Wing part 1 on blu. Ready to buckle in for some 90's goodness.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I finished the 3rd season of Dog Days and it was just so cute again.

9. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    Half way through Gundam 08th MS Team. Still one of my favorite Gundam series since there's no MAGICAL VOODOO SPACE SORCERY BULLSHIT(glares at Seed and slightly at 0079), just the war from the eyes of normal soldiers.

10. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

Then You watch 08th because wing will bore you to death with its mediocrity.

11. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I started watching Engage Kiss and it is weird.

12. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V The token Asian one

agree, but it's not bad for a refresher/bare minimum as to what to expect. 08th is the only one that I bothered purchasing on DVD because I liked it so much.

14. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

15. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Why does she have to retire? He's the one that cheated on his wife without her knowing he was married.

16. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Is anyone else here the type of weeb that doesn’t watch much anime but is still a hardcore anime fan?

Like. I guess I play more anime games then anything, it’s always been that way. I’ve seen plenty, sure, and I stay deep-rooted in the community. But I don’t actually watch too much anime. I’m very picky about what I watch and when.

17. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just weird you've been/ worked with him for 10 years and have no idea he is married. Thats kind of a tough one to believe. Atleast he acknowledged it, the Gesu no otome guy pretty much went into hiding and the "other woman" was kind of forced to apologize.

18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    She was emotionally overwhelmed. But she may get better and return to writing, hopefully.

19. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

20. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

I saw the recent horror anime mini-series Housing Complex C and it gave me a terrible Stephen King novel adaptation vibes. People being assholes for no reason, mysterious children, the dead turning to something else, ancient mythology, and goofy shock moments.