The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

Yeah see my point is that they DIDN’T. Don’t know if you were around but there were absolutely howls of outrage when Bumblebee wasn’t a chibi version. There has been a demand for a toon-accurate one - which by its nature is wildly different to MP22 - ever since the first grey prototypes were shown.

As for Prime, again, the point I’d make is that the rules are different for him simply because of the character he is. That’s why they’ve been able to get so much mileage out of the original MP10 mould. But there’s a reason we haven’t seen a lilac Evangelion Soundwave. As popular as he is, there isn’t the demand. He’s at the top level, but he’s not Optimus Prime.

And nor is Sideswipe.

Not having a go by the way - if you want these v2s then by all means I respect that - but what I’m struggling to understand is why people feel so badly that they’d rather have TT recycle an expanding roster of the same characters rather than bring in new ones. The last brand new, new G1 character mould was Sunstreaker. That was 2 years ago.

Yes I know Hound is coming. But let’s say you’re right and what we have next is a v2 Sideswipe and v2 Soundwave. Those plus then v2 Red Alert, v2 Tigertrack, v2 cassettes, v2 Soundblaster etc, plus all the Beast Wars still to come... you’re looking at the middle of the next decade before maybe a Trailbreaker or a Blaster drops. I just don’t get why people would rather have that - why it’s so important to have Soundwave articulated enough to scratch his arse or whatever - than have some new ones. It’s just a puzzle to me, is all.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  2. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

To be totally fair, the howls were, like in most cases, a vocal few rather than a large number. Some folks cared one way or the other, and many didn’t.

I think the thing that you both might want to consider is that there’s a lot of personal perspective involved in your side of the debate. You’ve got a range around people who really like the new direction and want older characters to match it better, and then another range around people who’ve got the old one and that’s fine with them, the character in question has been checked off, onto someone new.

The reality is that Prime and Bee are big characters, so yes, they can get redone. That said, so are Starscream and Soundwave. They’re part of the evergreen big six, so they could benefit from that same exemption.

Characters like Sideswipe may be different, but it’s not just that they’re less popular or visible. Takara has clearly forged a good relationship with Lambo, so why not do a V2 at some point? Maybe not for a while, but there’s literally nothing stopping them. They can probably sell a red Lamborghini a hell of a lot easier than a black pickup truck (though I desperately want one). There will be some who howl with rage, and an awful lot who don’t. Likely, quite a number that get excited. The funny thing is that it’s really easy not to buy something if you don’t want it. This line is a long game.

On a separate note, I’ve just seen some tweets and FB posts about Bumblebee possibly being delayed until November. Anyone have any confirmable details on that?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Announced on TT website
    MP-45 バンブル Ver.2.0発売日変更に関してのお詫びとお知らせ|トランスフォーマーオフィシャルサイト|タカラトミー

Screenshot_20190919-055845_Chrome.jpg

4. GearsRollo

• Like Like x 1
  5. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I’ll admit I’ve got some personal bias on this, since I’m a major fan of the new direction’s complexity and appearance. But I never once said I wanted redos over new characters. I’d kill for a Trailbreaker, Mirage, Brawn, Jazz, anyone. And yeah Soundwave was above average in quality in that he can still kinda hold his own when placed with MP-36 or MP-44. But I still want a Soundwave with a more complex design that replicates the look I grew up with perfectly. But choosing one over the other? Not sure that’s a decision I could make on a dime.

• Like Like x 5
  6. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

What puzzles me are people that desperately want and desire completion but won't turn to the dark side. Sorry to say, but it's the only way it will ever happen. If you're entirely opposed to 3P and would rather not have the character at all than a 3P representation, that's well and good, BUT then you need to accept and embrace the fact that you're NEVER going to have a complete cast of any kind. TT doesn't have a goal of finishing your collection...in fact, they don't want you to! Their goal is for you to keep buying their product. It's actually in their best interest for their customers to WANT them to redo the same characters over and over...

BTW, this response isn't directed specifically at you, SS1980. It may or may not apply to you at all. I just quoted you as a springboard.

edit: BTWII, I actually agree with your opinion on redos...but what I wrote still applies. TT is out to make money...it's their one and only goal. Redoing the most popular characters is typically going to be more profitable than releasing obscure characters for the first time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

@kibble I do agree that 3P is a pefectly viable option for the characters Takara has not given us.
    I own Sphinx, J4ZZ and Downbeat and really like all three of them.

While I'm still convinced that we will get MPs for Jazz, Mirage and CJ, their respective 3Ps are stellar standins.

Personally, I'm one who prefers the Official product to 3P. It all boils down to personal preferance, and budget. I'd rather spend money on an extra MP of a favorite character.

If it looks like TT isnt't going to do a particular character, that's when I start looking at potential 3P alternatives.

So should I expect an email from AJ about Bee?
    I have zero problem with this dude being delayed.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2019
  8. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

I think it's less that people want "do-overs" over new characters, and more that they're expecting it, that Takara is going to try and cash in on the popular characters by remaking them in the new direction.

That's the cynical way of putting it, and there's a good amount of backlash against it. Just because some people are more positive about it and receptive to it doesn't mean we want it to happen next. The other sentiment I've seen is that the only characters that are left are those that are either less popular or those that present challenges with licensing, so there's that, too.

I feel Starscream 3.0 is inevitable and will be happening sooner than I'd like. I would rather get more carbots and minibots first. So I'm with you in wanting new characters before more remakes. I think most people are. Doesn't mean I don't want the remakes at some point, though.

But even if people want a remake of Sideswipe before, say, Jazz or Mirage, what's wrong with that? It's a collection goal that isn't in alignment with yours, but so what? If this hypothetical person wants a Sideswipe 2.0 before any new characters, that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

9. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Count me as a guy who's not just "receptive" to re-dos, but actively wants them. Ever since the current line's direction solidified in Inferno with max articulation, accessories/gimmicks, paint, and cartoon accuracy (while still retaining licensed alts), I've wanted all characters done and re-done up to that standard, especially the core characters. In fact, I'd rather have re-dos of Starscream and his bros, Soundwave and his tapes, Grimlock, and Rodimus than just about any new character (Galvatron might be my only exception). For me, Starscream 3.0 > Jazz haha ;) 

• Like Like x 10
  10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Yeah I actively despised redos before but now welcome them. Especially a Soundwave. Can you imagine him slavish cartoon colours and build with the articulation of mp44/mp36? He'd be glorious posed with his tapes (MMC)

Just give me Galvatron first please.

• Like Like x 7
  11. MSWF377

MSWF377 Mike

Blasphemy!!

• Like Like x 4
  12. Maglite

I get it, man. I would love to see Prowl get a 2.0 at some point, because he's one of my favorite characters and the + version isn't enough for me. And Starscream certainly needs an update. MP-11 is fine for what it is, but a cartoon accurate Starscream, slathered in paint...it will be a thing of beauty.

Still, I'd prefer to get official versions of the characters I've been waiting on since 2013 (Hound, Trailbreaker, Mirage, Cliffjumper, Galvatron, Blaster, Perceptor) before any more do-overs. I doubt that'll happen, though, and I certainly won't turn away the remakes.

I'm just enjoying the ride.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

Well, there we go! I’m obviously in a minority - fair play...

• Like Like x 1
  14. MSWF377

MSWF377 Mike

I wouldn’t consider it the minority unless you’re completely against redos of older characters. But better versions of more popular characters is certainly appealing. I’d rather have a better Starscream than say Huffer. But I would jump all over Jazz, Mirage, Brawn, or Cliffjumper

• Like Like x 8
  15. Maglite

Yeah, I was trying to say that I didn't think you had a minority opinion. Like I said, I actually agree with you - partially - in that I want new characters first, but am okay with remakes. I think there are plenty of people that agree with you, but I'm not sure they frequent this particular thread...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Bah. Make me an old school clunky Perceptor, and we'll be besties, TT.

17. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

I like the redos and preemptively sold my Starscream and Soundwave (both were Hasbro so they didn't fit 100% colorwise for me anyway) in prep for eventual + or remakes. But honestly, I also want to get TT on track for rolling out some of the good ol boys who haven't been done in tandem with these redos. Hound finally coming out is a dream come true for me, but I want a complete S1 set, and then I can happily move on to BW, I think.

• Like Like x 3
  18. GearsRollo

Snip

:eek: :eek: :eek: 

That’s living dangerously my man.

You’re in the danger zone.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm with you, I don't currently own a MP Starscream or Soundwave either.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4