Takara Generations Selects God Neptune

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by chchchch, May 12, 2020.

1. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    Yeah, the interview is with the person that was in charge of naming the character. Wonder if he'll have any interesting anecdotes to share.

2. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

No offense, but the japanese only G1 cartoons are a bit more "silly" than the 3 seasons from the US, that silliness comes primarily from the anime style of those shows. The japanese transformation sequences and the drawing style were better though...

• Like Like x 1
  3. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    【公式】トランスフォーマー情報局 on Twitter

• Like Like x 2
  4. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    Fair enough. There were a lot of characters from Japan's G1 that still looked good enough to incorporate into the original G1 which is why I'm preordering this set.

For me they'll probably have a Predacon/Terrorcon vibe with a pirate aspect to them from some of the more respectful villains in "Pirates of the Caribbean" (Davy Jones). Which is why I wanted the Nautilator figure more than what I guess is a Squid.

5. levandowski

levandowski Temp Banned

News Credits:
    Any idea when we will see the box art?

6. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or, coming soon... DK-17 Gear Master Accessory Series Mammoth Fusion Cannon

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jmaster99

Jmaster99 Well-Known Member

8. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 2
  9. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    We can get a Matrix Buster/cannon from BBTS et al without buying Takara exclusive Matrix Buster Big Convoy!

$26.99 from DNA Designs/BBTS:

DK-17 Gear Master Accessory Series Mammoth Fusion Cannon

• Like Like x 1
  10. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Team Lovehammer

News Credits:
    I'd rather pick up the eventual Matrix Buster/Lobclaw figure. ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I was wandering if they were going to do the BWII characters.

I was not expecting Scylla to actually be a retool rather than a straight repaint like the original was. They said this was done to match her animation model but it actually doesn't. I'm looking at references right now and her animation model is still a bit more blocky than the toy turned out to be which isn't really a bad thing. This doesn't actually look all that feminine.

[​IMG]

Honestly I think it's more gender neutral and I think that's why they choose to make her female. I mean those parts on the chest were also present on the male version and were originally intended to represent pectoral muscles rather than breasts... neither of which makes any sense on a robot.

The new robot mode actually seems to have changed the proportions to make her a little more obviously female. Some might think that means making the breast bigger but no, they're actually smaller. They're more obviously female because they went with a rounder more natural shape rather than these awkward rectangles. And it doesn't just stop at the chest her entire robot mode was given a more rounder robotic form similar to other fembots we've seen rather than the blocky robot we see here.

Side note, Tentakil is also a little less blockly than his original figure. I think that probably has more to do with the fact that they now have ball jointed shoulders and hips so no square shoulders or weird robot box shorts... not boxer short... I mean those box shaped shorts she appears to be wearing in that image. But Tentakil still has a boxy torso and lower legs where as Scylla does not. Even her head design despite clearly being based on the same design has a slightly more feminine look with softer more rounded edges than the hard squared off sides on the male version.

In short the figure actually looks BETTER than her animation model... at least in robot mode. In beast mode... which being a Beast Wars figure I'm pretty sure this is how people most often saw the character.

[​IMG]

And the toy kind of fails to capture that. I don't think they even remolded anything as far as the beast mode goes. The lips were basically already like that on Tentakil... in fact looking at the references it looks like the lips actually should have been smaller on Tentakil but are perfect for this version. The main difference that I'd actually like to see as far as the mouth goes is that they're both molded with the same scary open mouth snarl which is fine for Tentakil but kind of out character for Scylla. She should really have this more neutral expression or the big smoochy mouth... which would be better if we had an updated Generations Scuba for her to interact with. The eyes on the beast mode are also wrong, they're too narrow and they didn't even bother to paint on her eye lashes.

All that said it's still a really good figure and I honestly wasn't even expecting them to remold anything. I'm just pointing out that the figure doesn't really match the animation model. That's not a bad thing because I actually like the figure more than the animation model. Some how that overly feminine beast face is more scary looking to me than the snarl. Especially when she's making the smoochy face, this more neutral expression is really the only way I can stand to look at her animation model.

If you wanted a more screen accurate Scylla generations selects really doesn't do it. I don't know why you would want that cause... well look at that thing, she UGLY! But if you just wanted a decent figure that won't haunt your nightmares then I love this Generations selects version.

Now I am curious about something. Nautilator/Lobclaw... one of the rare cases where his Japanese name is actually better than his English name because I don't what the hell a Nautilator is. Anyway... I know he was never repainted for Beast Wars... not quite sure why, maybe they lost the mold when they were making the Beast Wars Seacons. Even though he's TECHNICALLY not a part of the team I think it'd still be interesting to see him in that sort of Beast Wars color scheme as a Predacon if for no other reason than so they can still use their weapon modes because having only 5 members instead of 6 means there's really no reason any of them should still have a weapon mode since the combined mode is the only one who can hold it. They need that extra 6th member for the weapon mode to be able to do anything. You wouldn't have to use him or anything, you could leave him off if you only wanted the 5 who were actually in the cartoon but it'd be an option for anyone who wants to use it and options are good!

I may be watching too much Emgo... I'm starting to sound like him... but he's right, I can't help quoting him when he makes a good point.

• Like Like x 2
  13. B3k

B3k Well-Known Member

Nautilator could be a reference to the nautilus the submarine of captain Nemo in 20000 league under the see or nautilus the ancient sea creatures (which the sub was a reference to). However it's not very fitting as it's a spiral shell with no claws.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Nautilator is as unfitting a US name as Kraken is a Japanese name. Both would be more fitting names for Tentakill than they are for Lobclaw and Seawing.
    Nautilus still exist btw:
    Nautilus - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 2
  15. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  16. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
  17. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Transformers Prime being serious was the least of its problems since it was not actually lacking in humor (and beside which they added Micron Theater for that purpose).

18. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    When it shows up in the mail

• Like Like x 1
  19. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If it's anything like the prior Select releases, it may not be anything fancy. I would be very surprised if it was in a Unite Warriors-style box. I expect the plain cardboard with black graphics type packaging that has become the norm.

Haha, possibly very true.

20. djtfmd

djtfmd Well-Known Member

it's too bad God Neptune (and King Poseidon actually) aren't just actual Unite Warriors releases - wonder why they didn't just make them that way? o_O 

• Like Like x 1