Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Haloid1177, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Apparently the kind with no intention to ever come back.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I've got to agree.

That's cool.

I never realized that was Simon Pegg until now.

3. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, he lives near Pinewood Studios and was on-set almost every day having the time of his life, lol. Lucky bastard.

And that link won't load on my phone. Is it just confirming the existence of the scene or is there an actual link to the scene itself? I'd love to see it.

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think the scene is viewable, but it requires Flash (which I've disabled).

The 3D release also has a new commentary track with J.J. Abrams that's generating mini-articles online. Apparently he thought we'd be totally unsure of whether Kylo Ren would really go through with killing Han Solo. Oops.

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Poe likes Finn.
    Finn likes Rey.
    Rey likes BB-8.
    BB-8 likes Poe.

Oh what a tangled web we weave!

In other news the 3D Blu Ray was dropped through my door just now. On a Sunday no less. The Force must be with me today. Let's hope the 3D conversion is decent and not a hack job like it was with Captain America 3: Civil War.

6. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Lemme know how it is.
    May want this

7. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It's not bad.

I never saw this in 3D at the cinema so I can't compare, but the 3D is pretty good on this, unlike in Captain America 3: Civil War. In Cap 3 their heinous crime was in order to give depth to the background they kept it normal in one eye and moved it off to one side in the other. Which does work, but when you do it cheaply and quickly you leave a void on one eye. It's not something might even notice (it's a bit like seeing a blank space at the side of a mirror or something) in dialog bits but in action sequences where the shot changes so quickly that 'void' changing size and sides all the time looks really shit.

Anyway, none of that in this. There are some really nice 3D shots too, like an establishing shot of Kylo Rens Star Destroyer looking like it wants to poke you in the eye, and generally it's not overdone. It's a properly nice conversion! I haven't seen the whole film yet though.

8. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Ah damn, I thought I'd get my 3D Bluray soon as well. Just checked and it will be delivered 24th of November. :( 

9. flamepanther

In the 3D theatrical version, there were some issues with backgrounds. In wooded areas, there were "forcefields" around the tree roots and branches, where they were overzealous selecting what to move into the foreground. When Rey find's Luke, there's a shot where part of the hill Rey is climbing suddently changes depths even though the shot isn't moving. For the sake of my curiosity, would you mind checking to see if you can spot either of those issues?

10. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'll check them out tonight!

• Like Like x 1
  11. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hmm, so I checked it out, no evidence of 'force field' greenery that I could see, and the only instance of 3D weirdness on Rey's Ireland run is just after the Falcon lands. The camera changes it's focus point, so while the actual perspective doesn't change the focus of the shot does (it changes from the path in the distance to Rey when she steps into shot).

It could just be I'm not seeing it but the 3D looks pretty good for Post Production.

12. flamepanther

Who knows, maybe they fixed it!

13. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hmm, maybe?

I would have thought the 3D should actually be processed differently depending if it's going to be watched on a big screen or on a TV... but I have no actual knowledge if they do or not. Cynical me would say 'no' just because it's another cost.

14. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I did not even notice bad 3d at the cinema. That was one of the best 3D effects I ever saw. Like when the big star Destroyer suddenly fills the whole cinema like Boom there it is!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Agreed.

I have audio field recordings from several opening night 3D screenings and you can literally HEAR the audience jump back in its seats and exclaim "Oh, shit!" and "JESUS!" when the Star Destroyer almost poked all our eyes out, lol. It was pretty fucking epic. XD

NO COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE 3D HERE.

O_O

• Like Like x 1
  16. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Yeah, me too. I only had 2 experiences where I jumped back in my seat. One movie, which I sadly forgot, was, where I tried to evade debris :lol  and then the Star Destroyer in Star Wars. Usually I can see the 3D better than my friends, but I'm not that impressed. So EP7 had really good 3D :) 

17. flamepanther

The bad masking in the woods and the depth wobble in the final scene were the only places I noticed anything wrong. You wouldn't notice unless your eyes wander around the frame a lot (like me) and/or you've been a fan of all things stereoscopic 3D for way too long (like me) :p  Everything that you're actually supposed to be looking at looks great. I just feel like the stuff you're not supposed to focus on should look great too :\

Knowing the pitfalls of 3D postconversion kinda sucks. If you don't know what to look for, you might never notice, but once you know, you can't stop seeing it. The 3D conversion of Godzilla (2014) was generally good too. But I noticed that in some of the scenes where characters are wearing radiation suits, their faces were placed at the same depth as the face windows on the suit instead of behind them. So it looked like a flat picture of their faces pasted onto the suit instead of their faces being behind something transparent. It bothered me, but I bet most of the audience never noticed. :( 

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. flamepanther

Anyone listen to the director commentary track yet? Evidently Abrams confirms that Rey has not met Kylo Ren or Leia Organa before, and that they don't know her. There go some of the most common fan theories! :D 

19. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

In that case, my money is on
    Nien Nunb
    being her dad.

• Like Like x 2
  20. flamepanther

You could be right. At this point, I feel like whoever turns out to be her parents (and whoever Snoke turns out to be) will either be an anticlimactic letdown or a credulity-breaking WTF. I've honestly stopped caring who those turn out to be.

I'm more interested in this news because of the amount of people who were convinced beyond all doubt that Kylo Ren/Ben Solo already knew Rey and had a deep existing connection to her. Y'know, as opposed to him just obeying the "everyone has to like the Mary Sue" rule being impressed with her potential as a student. Abrams says "he's heard of her," which is interesting. If he doesn't just mean Kylo heard of her when his troops said "there was a girl" (entirely possible) then this points to something else altogether.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016