Paramount is taking the extra step to stop piracy of the Movie

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Super_Megatron, Jun 23, 2007.

1. deathprime

deathprime age old noob

dang, heated thread.

I dont do piracy, but it will happen sadly no matter what.

Funny how someone is attacked for holding a black and white view point, but by the vary nature of the attack the attacker promotes a right and wrong viewpoint as well.

2. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

This isn't gonna stop people from sitting in the back of a theater with a camcorder sadly.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm one of those realy anti-piracy people, but I used to want bootlegs all the time in Afghanistan. I remember watching T3 and some guy in the theater turns around and tells the camera, "Yo, this shit is CRAZY!"

It woulda ruined the film for me, but I mean, it was T3. So no real harm done.

4. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a theatre employee, I'm of two minds about this. I'm glad Paramount is taking an extra step, but I'd rather we have a chance to screen it for any assembly errors. I'd rather not have to stop a show at 8:13 Monday night because my projectionist put the thing together upside down.

Once, we got a print of 'Spy Kids 2' that had a reel in French. Oddly enough, this reel started during a scene featuring the 'international spy convention.' As it wasn't screened, I was in there with the first audience. At first, I was thinking, 'So, the international spy convention is in French...you'd think there'd at least be subtitles.' But then the kids got back to their treehouse headquarters, and were still speaking French. That's when we started to get some very upset parents. Made me laugh, though.

As far as who piracy hurts- it hurts my theatre, and employees thereof. I know of people who chose not to come to my theatre because they were able to download a movie for free, or buy a copy from a local source. That's real money coming out of bonus checks. Enough to make a difference in anyone's lifestle? Not really. OTOH, you'd be pretty annoyed at me if I just kept coming up and swiping a couple pennies from you for no reason. Movie pirates = jerks.

So far, though, we've managed to catch 2 camcording thieves, and haven't seen any in a while, so we're pretty sure we've run them out of our building for now.

-Tony!

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Perfect comic for this thread topic, especially after Omegatron1's post.

[​IMG]

6. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lolol 

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The main thing I see about the locked reels is to cut down on the amount of bootlegging done before the release date. Doesn't really do anything else, nor is it meant to (except maybe increasing the potential for showing mixups).

The whole piracy debate boils down to people having varying attitudes about the legal nature of media and intellectual property compared to physical property, especially since it's possible to copy and distribute media without depriving the owner of the original. Most of the pro-bootlegging arguments sound pretty silly if one replaced "movie / CD / software" with physical property, like "car".

"I wasn't going to buy a car anyway, so It shouldn't matter if I just take one." ;) 

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hehe, so the stealing the movie is going to help the poverty then?

9. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

It won't stop a thing. As I pointed out earlier, the vast majority of bootlegs come from outside the U.S., and there's no indication that this dual-can thing is being done overseas, or if there's anything in place that's keeping overseas theaters from opening the can early.

Even if it does, it only delays the bootlegs by what.. a day? Maybe two?

Most bootlegs are also done with the full cooperation of the theater staff. That might be unheard of here in the States, but at some small-town theater in eastern Europe? A few bucks in the right hands is more than enough to give you a nice spot to set up the tripod and hook into a line-feed for direct audio.

*shrugs*

10. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    hey, if you wanna go download it, go ahead. you won't get my respect and I certainly won't loose sleep over it

At least I can walk around with integrity knowing I supported the guys that put all this work into this movie.

My band is on tour in the US for most of July, so I can't see it untill around the 16th or 17th, but as soon as I'm back in town, you better believe im gonna be spending well over 50 bucks in tickets going to see this movie, several several times. I can't fucking wait :D 

11. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Sorry if this has been covered before, but frankly, I got tired of reading through the bitchfest in this thread....

What are they doing about digital copies? The theater I frequent (a Carmike Cinemas theater) has converted all of its screens to pure digital. Supposedly no film involved anymore. (Last couple of films I saw that way were incredible - clearer than ever, no spots, no damaged film cels, etc.) Hell, I don't even know how they do the delivery on those. Just wondering. I'm not a pirate.

12. optimus1

optimus1 Well-Known Member

Australian prices are nearly $16.00 AU a ticket
    and if you go LA PREMIRE to which my wife did as an early b,day present she paid $36.00 a ticket this means though you get to sit in reclining chairs , get to drink a beer or wine and even eat food but this is all extra
    Im happy as i get too see it on opening day after work but man i hate paying $16.00 a ticket i only do it if it is a movie i really wanna see.
    Entertainment is too expensive these days

13. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

I don't buy this. Who told you this? What did they say? Why would they ever admit something like that to you?

There are always going to be SOME people like that, but the vast majority of people will only see movies they have little to no interest in seeing on the big screen to begin with. Watching it on a small screen and going to a cinema are two different things.

DVD sales are STILL great, people are still seeing movies. Pirates only make up a small fraction here - and ultimately, for those people, it means they get a lot of experiences they possibly wouldn't have been able to have any other way.

This is something complex to understand, which is why it probably shouldn't be on a public messageboard. You really need a good understanding of utilitarian reasoning to understand why piracy generally does more good than harm.

14. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

Not really. Nobody can't eat for the winter because of pirates. It's a very sad comparison.

15. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

The world is a pretty overpriced, dull and depressing place. Simply existing is no good, you need something worthwhile to do with it. I hate people who think it's acceptable that someone is simply there and eating and drinking enough. Life can be hell even if you're like that, and very often is.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    if you can afford internet access and a computer, you can damn well easily afford a movie ticket.

wrong. piracy almost killed the RPG Maker division of Enterbrain. RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 were so heavily pirated worldwide that the software's sales once dipped into the low dozens while the download counters at countless websites soared into the hundreds of thousands.

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    [​IMG]

That should help the context a bit.

18. JusticeSabre

JusticeSabre FLUKE the SYSTEM.

Ebay:
    One word: VIACOM.
    AKA the future owner of everything entertaining.

19. JusticeSabre

JusticeSabre FLUKE the SYSTEM.

Ebay:
    Good, except those carrots would be filet mignon.
    Or in Bay's case, 2 bricks of nose candy.

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Did you even read Omegatron1's post for context? If everyone pirated, then the theater he works at would either close, or atleast have to downsize. That means people losing thier jobs or hours being cut. Less income means less money. On a tight enough budget, it could even mean less food to eat.

I need to come up with a word that I can call people who take statements out of context. :rolleyes2 

Although officially, I'm staying out of the Pirating comment. That's a shady area because you can get copies without depriving anyone of the original. Especially in the area of people that will see it in the theater and buy the DVD anyway. The biggest wrong I see in that case is the rightful owner of the media didn't give permission. Those that say they wouldn't pay anyway shouldn't watch it. If you want to see it, pay. If you aren't willing to pay the people that made the movie for all their work, you shouldn't enjoy the fruit of their labor.

My posts up to this point were always about your statement that sometimes stealing is not wrong. Put yourself in the shoes of the one being stolen from. Regardless of how much money someone has or how they got it, it's theirs. No one had the right to just take it because they want/need it. Sure, I believe they should be morally obligated to help those in need, but you can't force someone to do it.