Netflix Ghost in the Shell

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    The PS2 era graphics aren't making me very optimistic about the art direction of this show, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 3
  3. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

I'm not too happy about the visual direction of this. I can only hope then that the writing will carry this show if the animation cannot.

4. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Where does this take place?

And yeah, those visuals aren't so hot...

• Like Like x 1
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    There's already Ghost in the Shell on Netflix. The movies and S.A.C. And maybe Arise. We don't need this.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Why is this style of cgi becoming popular? It looks so cheap. Someone above mentioned PS2 era and that's pretty spot on. They must save a lot of money doing this as I've seen a lot of shows starting to utilize it lately. I want to like this, but damn if the style isn't off putting.

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Reminds me of the derpy cgi from the 'video game' scenes of Heroes Reborn

8. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

That little clip isn't enough for me to judge on.

Moar plz

9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Sceptical.

What it's supposed to bring to the table what Oshii's movies and SAC shows didn't already do?

10. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That animation is not going to measure up with the hand-drawn animation from the past.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Jesus christ that is ugly. Last time I read it was going to be a continuation of SAC, but I don't know if I could take that seriously with that shitty ass animation. Also, when did Motoko de-age? Granted, she's a machine, so she coudl take a younger body, but am I really supposed to also take her seriously in that 12 year old looking body?

• Like Like x 1
  12. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Really? The graphics remind me of Dragon Quest XI more than anything. I'm actually quite fond of how this looks.

I know Netflix has most of Arise (the first three, but the third only has subs I think), but the movies and SAC? I don't think so.

All in all, I think we're probably jumping the gun a smidge.

Relax.

13. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

wow.. that looks awful

14. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Considering how it makes the animation in Ultraman look amazing and that animation sucked ass, it's hard to relax when one of my top favorite anime properties gets the Berserk treatment.

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

The character design here reminds me of that "anime people" mod for Fallout 4 on the nexus, except less quality.

16. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

It looks like someone took a bunch of source film maker models, and just dumped them into an environment to play with ragdoll.
    Not to hate on Souce Filmmaker, as you can do impressive stuff with it. But this artstyle though...

• Like Like x 1
  17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Maybe it's different in your region. But my Netflix has them. Well, they might have taken off the first movie, but they still have Innocence and SAC.

And I'm perfectly relaxed. I'm just saying I don't need to watch a cartoon that looks like garbage. I also don't need the same property re-adapted for the billionth time when the adaptations we got before were already great.

If your bar for satisfaction really is that low and you can be happy with garbage, I'm a little bit jealous. Because that is a happier way to go through life. But I think a lot of us are more discerning.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter anyways. This could be the most necessary series in existence, and it's still looks awful. I'm very lenient with animation. I can typically say good things about even the worst pieces of animation. As there is typically a lot of effort put into animated things. It's my favorite form of entertainment. Everything in it is designed and drawn from someone, and put in there. I can even say something good about Dingo Pictures.

With this, it's hard to say anything good about it. It's hard to say anything bad about it either. Mainly because the animation looks like it's barely had any effort put into it. The backgrounds look like they just copied and pasted some generic post apocalyptic images, and then used a bunch of pre-existing character/3D models from video game versions, mixed them together, and called it a day. And, that's our teaser. It shows us nothing about it. Is it a remake? Is it a sequel? A series? A movie? This teaser had less effort put into it, than a Dingo movie.

This teaser is designed to get people excited about it. But, there is nothing exciting about it in the trailer. Just a bunch of generic footage, and a woman saying stuff. And, if this trailer is anything to go by about the series/movie or whatever it is, then it's going to be just generic garbage riding on the name, Ghost In The Shell. I think they'd be better off with just a teaser image, if this is all they have to advertise for it, with.

If I am going to watch generic looking garbage animation that doesn't need to exist, I might as well just watch a Dingo movie. At least they put effort into their tracing over other people's characters with MS Paint, then animating it. Can't really say the same here. Just looks like stock footage tossed together. Then, BAM! We have a teaser! Get excited for this! Is it a movie? A TV Show? A 20 second advertisement!? Stay tuned to find out in like a year. Yay?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why cg? Why not classic 2D animation?

• Like Like x 1
  20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, everything is moving that direction. Even 2D animation in Japan is using more and more 3D elements. There's no escaping in. And Production IG is notorious for wildly varying quality. Some things they do look fantastic, and some are drastically subpar, like they cut every corner and saved every penny they could. This looks like one of those.