Heavy/Scratch: My first custom ever (wip)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by KRZTFR, Apr 10, 2009.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Eh. I'm cool with my cheap-o. Never had a problem with it over about a year of moderate use. No need to upgrade.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    You spent $30 on it, and when something internal breaks, you'll shell out $30 more for a second one, and ultimately spend more than a dremel. ;) 
    EDIT: Not aimed at megamoonman, but to the thread's poster (or anyone else with a rotary tool in mind) so they can save themselves the hassle and headache early.

3. KRZTFR

KRZTFR Well-Known Member

I know Dremel is the #1 hobbyist tool there is, but I'm not sure about buying a tool that I don't know if I'll use after this project. & I know theres other things I could use it for outside of hobbying, I'll do my research & make the best decision based upon my needs & income.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Do you own a house? I'm constantly all over my house fixing things with mine.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Dude, it's cool. I like it and it has never let me down - sorry you can't seem to handle that.

Should I ever need another, I'll just grab one of those $7 ones now that I know about them. I'll never waste money on a real dremel. ;) 

6. KRZTFR

KRZTFR Well-Known Member

Nope,I rent an apartment that doesn't really let you do any repairs yourself. I understand all your points, but the thing is, I think is F_R uses his everyday of the week on home & commissions; probably 8-10 hours a day(thats just me guessing by reading up on him), but the usuall hobbyist would use it maybe 3-4 hours a day average (depending on the obsession I guess). However, I was looking at cheaper Dremels at Walmart.

Hopefully we can move on form this Dremel Drama

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Completely understand. If you're simply looking for one for this particular project and it will most likely collect dust, then go for the cheapy kind. Though, a Dremel is a tool you'll want to have for random projects for many years to come.

8. KRZTFR

KRZTFR Well-Known Member

Thanks to my darling wife I got my easter present alittle early now I can get to work on this thing.

Attached Files:

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    :thumbs2: 

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Excellent investment. A Dremel is more or less the duct tape of power tools: it can do nearly anything. I bought one of the more advanced types of Dremel for one simple job, but I've used it for so many different things in TF customization and other things that it's saved enough money to make up for buying it again and again.

11. KRZTFR

KRZTFR Well-Known Member

Well I finally got to use my dremel today, been so busy with other things in my life. this is what I got done so far with the little free time I had. I was just noticing that there was a gap that makes the upper & lower part of the body shift. Wondering if I should cut an old credit card into stirps to fill the gap.

Attached Files:

12. KRZTFR

KRZTFR Well-Known Member

Whats the best method to hollowing out G1 Grimlocks head for a ball joint? I'm thinking about using Uni. Sideswipes ball joint for him but I don't want to try drilling without knowing whats the does and dont's. I already checked the tutorials and its just commercializing the yellow submarines ball joints rather then telling you how to recycle the ball joints on the figures.

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    it works the same, though, so it's really not. All you have to take into consideration is space. A head doesn't have to have a large balljoint, it weighs nothing. Simply get a balljoint that fits in the area you need it to, and doesn't make the head sit up too high for your aesthetic tastes. now, drill a hole in the head to fit that ball.

I'm moving this thread to the project area, no reason for it to be in discussion, it's a typical WIP thread.

14. Bumblebee92

Bumblebee92 Wheeljack Fan

sir welcome to the radicons and just have fun while you are doing it

15. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    welcome to radicon and enjoy yourself. i have alot on on going projects. while im not up to some of the standards of some people on here i still ejoys the few pieces i do and post on here from time to time. good luck, this project is also on my list to do :) 

16. Voltron III

Voltron III sum dum cum bum

man i realy liek robo dinosours good job

17. KRZTFR

KRZTFR Well-Known Member

Can anybody give me some input?

18. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I thought I answered that question. I guess it wasn't detailed enough? Use a drill.

19. KRZTFR

KRZTFR Well-Known Member

Well I haven't quit I just been too busy with family & work. I get maybe a few hours a month but mostly its all planning & seeing what works or not. Plus researching my next project for my wife. But heres a pic of my arm for Grimlock. I used a Classic Sideswipes arm for the bicep swivel.

Attached Files:

20. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    try glue