Mint In Sealed Box

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Brainchild, Aug 17, 2010.

1. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

botcon and fanclub exclusives seem to be a wise investment if you want to look at it that way. You never know what will happen over time though, look at what comics from the early to mid 90s go for now and baseball cards etc.
    Japan exclusives seem to be a good way to go too I guess, and maybe some of the hasbro reissues

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    a rare item does not mean it has high demand. So don't only go by that. And btw, this investment is always a gamble. If everyone that reads this thread starts to buy say, Arcee... then the value won't be as high now would it as supply of MISB maybe higher.

3. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Never gonna go for G1 prices, but your best bet is one of the later animated figures - arcee/rodimus/blackout... They can be tricky to find now, so it'll be a pain later.

4. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Man, that really was maybe the worst piece of shit anyone has ever made

..after Beast Wars :lol 

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    No kidding! why do you think the buried so man copies in a land fill? damn crapfest nearly killed the home console market!

6. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    The only modern TF's that could be considered an investment are limited release items, Botcon, Wonderfest, FP stuff etc.

Anything mass released won't be worth a fortune, including TFA Arcee. Hardly anyone collected as we know it back in the 80's, there a loads of MISB/MOSC TF's in a lot of collections nowadays.

7. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Its like collecting baseball cards in the 80s and 90s. Once everyone is doing it, its not rare anymore. The only reason transformers from the 80s are expensive is b/c nobody at that time thought to save them/keep them sealed. I mean, they were toys. Now, they are purchased by adults as collectibles.

If you're trying to make a good investment, buy toys that little kids play with now, and will be looking for in 20 years to re-live their own childhoods.

8. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So Bakugan?! Lol

9. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    or just buy Hasbro stocks if you think they will last at least another 20 years.

10. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    For mass-released stuff, there's just no way to know; For the most part, what's worth the most is the combination of What Everyone Wants and What Isn't Easy to Find, but that changes in an instant.....

- what's popular and hard to find now may not be worth anything later (ahem, concept camaro Bumblebee, Henkei Thrust),
    - what everyone was throwing away at the time is very precious now (Classics UM),
    - what was hard to find back then is still something no one cares about now (Energon Grimlock/Swoop)

etc. etc. Tuner Mudflap won't ever be worth anything, even if all the shelfwarmers are destroyed, because even if he becomes What Isn't Easy to Find, he'll still be something no one wants. Generations Drift may always be What Everyone Wants, but he'll never be difficult to find because he's a first wave release and not an exclusive.

I doubt Animated Arcee will ever approach Holy Shit prices. If anything, maybe the Classics SE figures will be the most expensive, but only for great condition MISB, since most of the Marshall's releases looked like crap, and no one bought them at the high HTS prices.

11. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes well said bro, very true indeed.

12. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    when someone(s) has to spend that much time to pull off a prank like that, I think the prank is on the prankster.

13. Eternalm

Eternalm Hasbro owns my Childhood

Ebay:
    Go to the store, and buy every Tuner Mudflap you can find. In ten years time, you'll be sitting on a treasure trove of figures that no one owns, because no one wanted it ;) 

14. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

:lol  :lol 

Wow, that was funny. Thank GOD you were joking, because this is exactly what I hate about this fandom.

15. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    These.

And this is why.

And this is an example of something that is rare. Anything that is limited in production numbers, even if it is third party, especially if it is third party, or limited under original license, will create a greater value.

Even before I saw your post, that's exactly what I was thinking! And then that made me think of the Angry Video Game Nerd episode on that cartridge. Hilarious.

16. piranacon2005

piranacon2005 Seacon Super Warrior

This is spot on and to take it one step further, from strictly an investment standpoint, I think you're best off purchasing super rare and desirable toys from lines that are about 10 years old already. Those toy lines tend to explode as collectibles when the kids who played with them at 5-12 years old start graduating college and making money.

I've seen this same phenomenon carry out with vintage Star Wars, G1 Transformers, GI Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and even G2 Transformers and Beast Wars...I never really followed the next batch of popular toys(Power Rangers?) but those would be the ones you'd want to research now and start hoarding the rare and desirable ones as they will explode in value over the next ten years.

17. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I think just Japanese store/online exclusives. I keep duplicates in MISB not for investment just because they looks nice in the box...