Maketoys MTRM-12 Lightning (G1 Thundercracker)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

Looks good but I'm curious to see what MT will do with the Cross Dimensions seekers.

2. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Skywarp's black hands are curious but man did they nail the right shades of color for these guys

• Like Like x 1
  3. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

It looks like they're trying to save money by sharing the same colored parts with Lightning and Skycrow. Both have lightning's black hand's as well as Skycrow's black nose cone and hinges on the tail. These are adult collectables and MT is so close to being the best out there but they keep doing stuff like this that stop them from taking that next step.

Saying this, these are pretty small issues and I think most can/will get over them in time.

I currently have a set of 6 YM seekers with Meteor in my POL (preorder-not paid). I'm strongly debating on whether I want to make the full change or not. I love the look of these guys, but do I want to drop $720 on all new seekers? Not sure what I'd get for the YM versions these days.

4. raptor22

raptor22 @TFBotShots on IG

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I wonder will MakeToys supply a optional replacement head for Starscream with a lighter face.

MakeToys, HINT HINT!!! If you're reading this.

5. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    Why isn’t his nosecone blue...starscreams is grey skywarp’s is black...why can nobody do all 3 the same?!?!?

Also skywarp’s hands should be purple...just sayin...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Knight Prime

Knight Prime QC 33

They shouldn't be trying to save money as they already have the mold. What they should be doing is making head improvements and the right color matching. Some of these companies bots are starting to look like this:

123995b.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mentasm

Mentasm I check in, but I don't check out.

YouTube (Handle):
    His tailfins should be purple.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That doesn't make sense since they changed the colour of parts that should be the same colour for both figures (in the torso). Also it probably costs extra to make a extra black hands for SW since they should be on the same sprue as the forearms...after all both meteor and lightning's hands and forearms match. The same can be said for the nosecone on Lightning. No, I have to believe that someone at Maketoys purposely chose these incorrect colours, for whatever reason, not as a cost-saving measure but purposefully, for what reasons I cannot say..

9. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    Frag, when you’re right you’re right...how have I never noticed that?

• Like Like x 1
  10. MegaDarth

MegaDarth Well-Known Member

Yeah but not enough to replace my KO versions. All that really wow's me here is the painted canopy. If you never owned these guys before, then yeah sure, i'd pick these over any other offering - though Skywarp's black hands and T/C's black nose cone would wind me up.

11. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I'm in love. He is perfection. I never liked the darker blue Thundercrackers. Bet he's outta my price range too.

12. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't remember where I saw it, but Maketoys said they aren't planning on making Cross Dimension seekers.

13. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

Proof?

14. zgbsn721

zgbsn721 Well-Known Member

I'm 100% in on these....

but since we are nitpicking color based on toon accuracy...

Thundercracker should have a dark grey color for his forearms and hands.

There I said it, do with it what you will.

Super excited for these, hopefully @dalianjj doesn't break my heart an tease a seeker prototype or something. Already gotta turn my Takara Trio into alt mode for these lol.

15. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

It was cell shading that appeared dark grey like Thrust when it was really black. Takara even went both ways when they released the toy and then the MP version. Thrust was also a burgundy color versus the red they put out. I think MT will fix the little issues but I still want someone to put out a toy TC version with the dark blue color and the black nosecone. Need me some Toycracker.

16. zgbsn721

zgbsn721 Well-Known Member

I can't speak to the colorist intent, but assuming the grey values in his head are black, I'd say his hands and forearms were colored lighter most of the time. Either way I'm ultimately fine with it.

Obligatory cartoon screen shot defending my honor below. <3

IMG_2567.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You mean the vertical stabilizers. Yes. :)  But they are just hinges, so I'm not too bothered with that. Maybe a Repolabels sticker will cover that up.

The tail fins/horizontal stabilizers should be black, not purple.

I'd like to hope that theses are just some early test shots and that the final product will have the correct coloring on them.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I understand the off-colour hinge bits, but the larger squares on the backs of the jets are animation accurate and are represented on the official Masterpieces as well. They're based on the hinges at the wing roots of the original toys, that made it into the animation models.

19. Zoidstar85

Zoidstar85 The pre-hysterical monster machine!

The hinges don't bother me too much. Maybe they'll fix it later... They still got my money.

20. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

Man some of you guys will hang off Fanstoys sack all day long and ignore obvious flaws in their figures but absolutely rip Maketoys for smaller issues on theirs. I own a lot of figures from both companies and in my opinion overall Maketoys is the surperior company in many ways. The one time they went head to head on a figure I own both of was Hound. I give FT the win by a slim margin just for show accuracy. But this seeker mold, while not perfect, couldn't be topped by fT without completely stealing the engineering and adding a bigger head with an upswivel. I just think it stinks that MT has done so much for our fandom and gets shit on by so many in the community (and it's usually the ones who parade Fanstoys as the end all be all of transformable robots)

Rant over, can't wait to get the other 5 seekers in this mold. But between these and FT Berserk, Jabber, and Rogue my wallet is screaming in pain.

• Like Like x 8