Knives Out - Rian Johnson

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Pharoid, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Yup, exactly my thoughts on all fronts too.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A) political humor always ages like sour milk, and dates the work unless it's very, VERY general.

B) "I read a tweet about a news article about you." Okay, and...? That's not a joke. It could be a component of a joke, but it in and of itself isn't an actual joke. Sounds like something off family guy.

C) Much like Johnson's other films, it sounds like he is way too far up his own sphincter to be able to tell a competent story. I am sure that it will be pretty to look at, but analytically as deep as a kiddie pool.

• Like Like x 2
  3. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Ironic, that's my "cut the shit" moment for that movie. Where it all falls apart as logic goes right out the fucking window. Then the whole thing descends into stupidity. Brothers Bloom is about the same. Rian Johnson is a bad as Chris Nolan for being shit at story iffy at best at characters.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I bet he'll subvert all our expectations by leaving the knives in.

*kills self*

That never made sense to me. Shouldn't he just immediately fall apart into nothing as soon as they start cutting bits off his younger self? I mean his old self basically just became an amputee on the spot, where his wounds and missing limbs were healed. So why did they come off one by one in the order they were amputated? He was only tortured over the course of a few hours IIRC. Either they should all vanish as soon as the torture starts or he shouldn't lose anything and just vanish the moment they kill him. It makes no sense.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    A) Movies are art. Why shouldn’t they reflect the world around them? It’s sort of the point.

B) Okay...

C) Well everyone has their own tastes. But I think it’s pretty clear he knows how to make a movie and tell a story.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Political messages/commentary and political humour are different though. Problem is, a political joke is only funny as long as it's relevant. Once it isn't, future generations aren't going to get the punchline and/or it won't be funny as soon as the political climate shifts another direction.

An actual political piece which sets itself in the time doesn't have to worry about that, since it's not telling a joke or trying to be funny, it's conveying information, which anyone can absorb at any time as long as said information isn't false. It all about context, which jokes rely heavily on since the moment you try to explain a joke too much it's no longer funny.

It's a lose-lose, and that's only if people even find it funny to begin with. There's a reflection of their times, and then there's being stuck in their times. Nobody looks at dated pop culture references in five-year-old comedies fondly, for example.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Pharoid

News Credits:

924DD364-85AC-49F0-AF75-244248FDC948.jpeg

*edit sorry that’s Voltaire.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  8. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? How could you guys not like Bad Times at the El Royale? It was my second favorite movie of 2018. So damn good, suspenseful, always changing up its narrative, etc. It was the best Tarantino movie not made by Tarantino.

9. wampa1

wampa1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    There isn't a single piece of criticism here that isn't laden with the subtext of "RUIN JOHNSON MAKE BAD STAR WARS"

• Like Like x 4
  10. Pharoid

News Credits:
    All the way to suggesting movies shouldn’t be topical or make jokes. Lol. God forbid movies are topical or make jokes...that never happens, and no one likes it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Candide wasn't funny at all, though.

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said..."

There's times like this that I wonder if you are purposely misinterpreting what people are saying, or if it really does fly over your head. Political humor is like pop-culture references, they age horribly. How is that hard to understand?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I agree, political humour it tends to work best when it’s about people rather than policy since policy changes by the hour but people remain fairly consistent over time. Like I can still watch and laugh until I’m blue in the face with Yes, Minister since the central conflict is between a politician and the Civil Service. The lean and purpose of Hacker’s policy and political desires is irrelevant because as far as Humphrey is concerned it would be ruinous for government and ergo he blocks it at every turn.

As for Knives Out, well, even if I end up not liking the message, as long as he’s up front about it I can respect the candour. Plus I really wanna see Craig in more non-Bind stuff and Michael Shannon is always a fucking treat.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Yeah that’s it you’re over my head. Movies shouldn’t comment on society or reflect the culture that created them? Oh and god forbid things age. Insightful criticism.

Oh I guess it hasn’t aged well. It’s weird that it’s a satire and people read it over two hundred years later though. Huh a book that satirizes government, religion and class and it’s still reflected upon 100s of years later... How hard is that to understand?

• Like Like x 2
  14. bumblebeej8

bumblebeej8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't disagree with you there. There are some writers who don't get the art of writing good political humor that feels topical and also could still be relevant many years later.

But...political humor that makes fun of our current society, if given to the right writer, can be fascinating and interesting. While I understand you don't like Rian Johnson because of his work on Star Wars, that doesn't take away from the fact that he isn't a fascinating writer.

His screenplays are incredibly interesting and subversive. Looper is a good screenplay, The Last Jedi does have a really good story to it, and I believe Knives Out has the same potential.

Every reviewer who has seen it has given the film a good review. While listening to critics isn't always a great idea, people should be willing to at least give a film that has been given this many good reviews a shot. I wouldn't have seen some films that I've seen this year without the reviews they got.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Prime Red

Prime Red Banned

No, it doesn't.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    And Looper, and his other films...

Opinion noted.

See, I get really tired of this getting trotted out like it's a virtue. A work being subversive doesn't automatically make it better. Unless you do something with said subversion it is just pointless.

doubtdoge.jpeg

wha.gif

• Like Like x 3
  17. bumblebeej8

News Credits:
    Okay very cool. Thanks for your insightful contribution. I learned a lot.

Opinions noted.

We can all agree to disagree. I do believe Rian Johnson did something with some aspects of the subversion in The Last Jedi, but the script is not without flaws. But it's the eye of the beholder. It's okay that we disagree. You have your reasons that are pretty well stated and thought over, which is more than what I can say for others.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    *Someone respectfully disagrees instead of going full on REEE in response*

I-I feel so confused.

:D 

• Like Like x 2
  19. bumblebeej8

News Credits:
    I know. It's a surprise that people can actually have a conversation. :D 

20. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the very first time I won't go see a movie cause I HATE the director. What a world. After the last Jedi and his social media antics I just can't support a guy like this.

• Like Like x 1