Dragon Age: Origins Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, May 11, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Awesome, cheers man.

Wait, I can fight Flemeth? I totally missed that side quest on my first playthrough. Seems I may have rushed it all a little :eek: 

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    In the Mages tower you can find a Black bound Grimoire which if you give it to Morrigan, turns out to be an old book of Flemeths.

Anyway, the option to fight Flemeth comes up after this. I don't want to spoil anything, but make sure your team is super badass otherwise Flemeth WILL DESTROY YOU.

I know this because she kicked my ass many many times. Fucking witch of the wilds.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Thanks, brosef.
    I knew about junk, but I thought you could just sell it.
    The "sell all junk" option made me think it was just a pre-sales inventory management option.

The UI on the game leaves a lot to be desired, but the game itself leaves little to be desired.

PS.
    I'm trying to avoid spoilers so I have stayed out of this thread.
    I apologize if my topic was covered before.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sten officially loves me. He's like my Chewbacca now.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I pretty much leave Sten at the camp now.
    He's too high maintenance.

Plus, the game kind of glitched when I met him.
    The second time I talked to him he just came out of the cage referencing these things that I "did" to convince the Chantry to let him go. But I didn't do anything.

I'm not sure if it's a consequence of the glitch or if I just haven't done the prerequisites yet, but I just never get any conversation options with Sten other than the conversation enders. Seriously, it's like "I want to ask you something," but the only thing I get after that is "we should get moving."

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, that's just him not liking you. He doesn't talk much, and he is high maintenance. You say you want to ask him something and he says, "I'm not surprised." But I saw the intro movie of the game where Sten is running with the main character, and I thought, "I want that to be my Sten" so I worked on him "that's what she said," and yesterday I helped him with a task, and now he's spitting out about his past, which is what I wanted. "Come on big guy, let it all out, tell me about your problems." But I found the dwarf to be extremely fun in the party, especially if you pair him with Morrigan.

While the sci fi guy in me still like Mass Effect more, this game trounces ME in terms of character interaction. Sometimes I stop walking just to hear them talk.

"The things I could do to you" - Oghren to Morrigan.

7. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Oghren is great, it's funny when you pair him with Wynne. They discuss ale, and she knows as much as he does and one time he's all, "If I were younger, I would take you into the bushes and --" "Give me more ale?" :lol  His comment about liking to watch when you kiss your partner is great too.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DAMN, that sounds like an awesome combination. I'll have to pair them up. I wish the game supported 5 characters at a time, or that I could get rid of "me"

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The one thing I wish this game had was multiplayer.

'Multiplayer? Is he insane?' I hear you ask. But wait.

Don't you just wish you could set up a team with all your first tier characters and tactics slots filled and ready to go, and then save that team?

Then you could take that team, download someone elses team (like a friends) with equivalent levels and then set them off against each other in a proving match, with only CPU AI (guided by your tactics and behaviours) in control, and just see what happens? Cuz not only would it be lulz for all involved it would also show up whatever weaknesses your team has.

Hmm. Wonder if I can suggest this to anyone at Bioware for DLC? Can't be hard to set up surely?

10. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

I disliked that the game forced one of the most entertaining characters (Ohgren) into the worst combat style (2 hander). Thank God for respec mods.

11. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Just finished beating the broodmother and finished the anvil of the void quest.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, multiplayer coop through the story as an option would be cool, but not deathmatch crap on an RPG. The only thing would be losing your characters' freewill (ie. their conversations with you, etc etc), but maybe you could be playing as them, but all of their conversations would be the same. White Knight Chronicles is going to have a story mode and a 4 player coop game, so hopefully that works well.

edit: I reached the part of the game where
    Leliana sings her song.
    . it felt like some of the old Forgotten Realms books I used to read. This game is now my second game of the year, and easily would be number one.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree about Morrigan, and I also love Ohgren. Someone really studied the Fantasy Dwarf archetype before writing this guy. He is constantly making me laugh. That's what this game oozes. Personality. I can't wait for ME2 and the expansion to this.

14. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Woah. I completely missed that part of the game too.

My first playthrough was very much just focusing on the main quests and I suppose in hindsight I should have forgotten about them and just concentrated on these awesome side quests. What quest was this?

I never used Orgren much but i've read multiple times people are very fond of him. I suppose he would have made for more interesting conversation than with Sten. That miserable fuck :D 

Yeah it certainly oozes personality and when you play each origin starting quest it ties it all together perfectly, so each additional playthrough seems to add more. I really got attached to my party members :eek: 

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The part with Liliana just happened in camp. Every once in a while I'll go to camp and do my round and see what people are up to. Ohgren mistook me for a woman once and tried to seduce me, before collapsing to sleep, lol.

I just walked up to liliana and she started telling me about a song her mother sang to her, and then
    began singing it. It's the song in the opening of the game... It was fucking awesome because as she was singing it, they showed all of the characters doing their own thing in camp. Sten was looking off into the distance, Morigain was shaking her head (like shut the fuck up), Allistair was watching in awe, and Stitch (My dog) was just mesmerized.
    . Great freakin moment.

Sten and Ohren argue all the time, and Sten made fun or Ohgren and his only response was "You mother," to which Sten replied, "That's really all you could come up with." Now that Sten likes me, he tends to send dry jokes towards the party members.

16. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Dunno if I said it already, but I finished the game on my 1st playthrough with a Human Warrior. Now, Im being an elf mage. After that I might go Elf or Dwarf rogue.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Congratz, dude. I think on my next playthrough I'm definitely going with an extremely fowl/ugly dwarf warrior with no regards for anything.

18. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

My problem with games like these is that I usually cant bring myself to be much of the evil type. I never went down the dark side in KOTOR. It's just not as satisfying for me. I went both Paragon & Renegade in Mass Effect because you are still being the hero throughout the whole thing, it just is based if you're a jerk or not. There's more to it than that, but that's the general idea.

19. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I found it harder to be the "hero" in Dragon Age as usually both points of view are valid when it comes to those decisive moments during the main quests and sometimes your responses available to questions have no nice reply.

At least there isn't a good or bad gauge like in those games so you're allowed to mix and match depending on your mood that day :D 

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not only that but there are moments that your decisions are not good or evil, just difficult decisions, like the quest in Redcliff.