Chevy Stingray makes it in, but Dodge Challenger doesn't - opinions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Basically, I think he's saying that since Dodge committed to building the Challenger, they didn't have to worry about being naive.

2. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

Dodge didn't make the comparison.

If he wanted to take the poster to task for calling the challenger a POS. It would have been wise to point out the Stingray isn't something us mere mortals can buy. ;) 

3. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

dodge challenger is an UGLY car....

4. HankHill

HankHill Banned

Well, FriskyPinewood, The Stingray isn't basicly a film prop, it's basically a film prop. GM has not committed to production yet, and according to your logic, I would have to be naive. Now that we have your atrocious spelling out of the way, I'll be happy to address your question. :D 

I was just going off of the old Corvette Stingray models, as the new one is only a concept, and the performance summary isn't even available yet. As a big car and truck fan, I actually like the Challenger, but that is my opinion. It has been great debating with you, FriskyPinewood! :D 

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Much better execution. Hat tip.

6. HankHill

HankHill Banned

Thank you for the hat tip, Ops_was_a_truck! :lol 

7. FriskyPinewood

LOL! Thats awsome! I put as much effort into spelling as you did in comeing up with a reason for your stance in this "debate". SWEET!

2009 Challenger Vs 30 year old car! Even such old Ferraris would have thier doors blown off under such performance pressure! Total ownage!

I like the Challenger too. Of the three retro pony cars it stays the most true to its roots. But it is not built to take on the Corvette, that is why the Viper exists. It is built to take on the Mustang and Camaro, where it holds its own...just barely.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man I think you meant to say hat trick not hat tip! :thumb 

9. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:
    This guy knows it. As a Charger owner, the Challenger test car was a mule (Challenger 'frame' with a charger exterior). Kudos to you boss. The Charger is about 40% Mercedes (platform, transmission (NAG-1) etc)

I doubt we'll ever see that stingray, at least close to what it looks like currently

10. ItsStarscream

ItsStarscream ImmortalSeekerGod

You thought Dodge was part of GM? uuhmm Im sure this has already been said so excuse me if I repeat myself but...Dodge has never been a part of GM....the Dodge brothers were their own standing car company until the merge with George Chrysler back ... 30s or 40s or maybe a bit earlier...Plymouth was bought or merged with Chrysler as well and the 3 together became known MoPar -- the winner of the car wars of the late 60s. When mercedes took over MoPar they eventually spun off Chrysler back as its own company. So Im rather shocked to have seen around that Chrysler shut down some Dodge dealerships recently... I thought Dodge was still part of mercedes (or as its know to us gearheads Mo[par]cedes).

I havent read all the posts in this thread but a couple....I don't consider the vette (stingray) anything sexy...its an over-rated plastic POS IMO. A favorite description of the Stingray/Vette on the street for years was 'Plastic Pig' GMs entire thougth process behind all design/techincal aspects of their 'cars' is so outdated and wrong...its partially what got them in this mess.

As for Challengers being boxy gas hogs?.....ROFL Thats a new one...I used own a 1972 Challenger...cant tell you its gas millage...the motor was not stock...not gonna say whether it was a BB or SB...not important here but I could have cared less about its gas millage. :p  The original E-Body (Dodge Challenger 1970-74, Plymouth 'cuda 1970***(typo fixed)-74 MoPars) is also one of the most sought after an expensive beasts to get. The new Challenger might seem boxy to some (though I can't see how to be honest) but it was a slight homage to the older one in appearance and it is a production vehicle. Ive seen a couple on the roads in my area. I would imagine production has been stopped on them for right now at least.

11. FriskyPinewood

Depends who you talk to. ;) 

Right out of highschool Guy offerd to sell me his a big block 71' Cuda. The engine was a warmed over 383 with a pretty big cam in it. Body was salvagable, but there were big holes in the floor, made me worried about the torsion mounts. Ran pretty strong, but the stock torque convertor wasn't happy with the cammed motor. I could have nabbed it for $1,200, but I was knee deep in building my 4-speed 72' Trans Am at the time. This was around the time Edelbrock released thier alum. Poncho heads. One of those "Do I buy the heads, or a second project car" situations.

Looking at E-body values now, I'm kicking myself. :( 

So what did you run in your Challenger? Ever take it to the track? I used to bracket race back in the day, high 7s in the 1/8th. Never took home any tropheys, way too hard being consistant in a stick.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jesus God, are you serious?

Dude, the OP has been corrected so many times by "lol yer wrong" types that he ACTUALLY EDITED HIS POST TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT HE WAS WRONG. Which means you weren't only too lazy to read the entire thread, which is only fifty posts, you were too lazy to EVEN READ THE FIRST POST (but not too lazy to correct him). And you know who that makes look dumb? Hint: IT ISN'T OWAT.

And if you were sure it had already been said...THEN WHY WOULD YOU SAY IT AGAIN? Is that how you roll in real life? I mean, are you at a party, and somebody comments on a political topic or something that's going on with a mutal friend, and then you're like, "Uh, I know somone just said this, but I thought I'd repeat it." And then afterward, do you go into excruciatingly irrelevant detail about the topic?

Hey everybody! The OP made a mistake. He wasn't aware that Dodge wasn't a part of GM. This egregious error has been corrected (although not forgiven, because that's out of the question for such a trespass), so please, move along. Nothing to see here. I know you really, really, really want to correct him, and that the temptation to do so must be overpowering, but please, make an effort to restrain yourself.

13. FriskyPinewood

*facepalm*

14. ItsStarscream

Dude, you should have gone for the E-body but Im sure you know that now. My 72 Challenger actually had a SB in it...318...course they are one of the few if not the only small block that can go head to head with a BB and win..so take that for what you will... I believe it was its original motor but I never ran the numbers on the block. The VIN was coded for a 318. Anyway I did some pretty simple mods to it. I popped a 340 6-pack cam in (upper end 318 mods can take 340 goods though for 340 heads on a 318 you do need to notch the pistons and I think even the cylinder walls for valve clearance...pardon Im a bit fuzzy on this..its been a few years), decided against the heads, headers, 4bbl...it had the 904 slapstick...I just left it....I wasnt looking for total road killer, just something to have fun in but nothing in my area could touch it. What an insane monster that thing was when I opened it up. The best part was on the rare occasions when I'd admit it was /just/ a normally aspirated 318. Not sure what got the guys going more...the fact it was a small block or that it was a chick that just kicked their ass on the road...

I kind of wish I had kept it now. But it needed a new roof badly...for a unibody thats a death sentence worse then blown floor pans. It had a vinyl roof and you couldnt see anything wrong from the outside but when you looked up at it from the inside (it had no headliner)...it was scary... yes the body would flex on that thing too because of it (course I drove it 'balls' to the wall all the time to sooo). On unibodies the A and C pillars are a major stability point of the frame (as far as Ive always known) and if they get weak, you have a problem. Its why you never saw a factory convertible B or E body for that matter and the ones that did it aftermarket were nuts if they didnt put in frame supports beforehand...I was mainly B-Body Dodge anyway. My one and only E-body was just for fun.

Anyway, as for who won the car wars...Im sure it does vary depending on who you talk to but I wanna say there is some documentation out there that MoPar was the winner in the end.

Holy crap take a chill pill....And this is partially why I stayed away from the TF fandom for the most part for so long...cripes everything has to turn into a F**** war when you try to hold a conversation with one.....and why tell me how lazy I was? I even commented I hadnt read it all so excuse me if it had already been said. I stated the facts anyway because gee, it could NOT have been said...I mean that can happen.... wow....shall I go back to the shadows now where I was before and forget trying to come back into this fandom and be nice this time? Will that make you happy? Please don't wind me up...I am not nice....

15. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Importanted
    :p 

16. Spyro

Spyro Banned

I agree that Dodge should be in the TFs movies. Dodge is teh awesomeness.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, I was gonna respond, but then you warned me off good there at the end. I'm pretty afraid of finding out how not nice you can be, so I'm gonna back off now.

Whew, I dodged a bullet there.

18. ItsStarscream

...actually, you did... Im not bothered in the slightest over getting possibly banned.... lets just say a few here know me from elsewhere and have seen me lose it sort of ...

Anyway, I can appreciate what you were trying to say. Sure, I should have read it all before I posted...sue me..../you/ could have been bit more tactful shall we say though instead of SCREAMING about it? But whatever....have a nice night...

19. FriskyPinewood

Sounds like it was a fun car, shoulda taken it to the track. The brackets can be quite fun, challenging, and best of all legal ;) 

My T/A was a bored out 455 Poncho, heads, cam, domed pistons, 850 Holly D.Pump, cage and welded subframe, Muncie 4-speed, 3.73 posi, headers and 3" exaust. Best time was 11.66 at Gateway, but I usualy ran on the local 1/8th mile track. Took it to the season opening of the Brickyard back in 1996, got to make a parade lap...smoothest road in all of Indiana. Sold the car about 8 years ago, sad to see it go but needed the money.

I've got two bikes now...a nice little runabout and a lean mean fighting machine. Been thinking of selling them off and getting into hot rods...T-Buckets, Model As, etc Always loved those, but that wont be for a few years.

Buddy has a T-Bucket with a pretty wild 383 small block chevy stroker. Pulls the wheels in second gear :D 

20. ThaRizla

ThaRizla Well-Known Member

Bottom line is GM has way better quality than Chrysler hands down.