Anyone else feel a bit overwhelmed with social media?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Jul 26, 2021.

1. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

It seems like every time I look at my phone, I have 10-20 notifications waiting for me.

I actually keep my phone on mute all the time now because of it.

I use Twitter, Reddit, and Snapchat mostly. But I also have accounts for Facebook, Instagram, and Messenger.

It seems like every time I log on to browse through the apps, it's just the same old stuff, and Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter have been getting worse and worse with ads and "suggested posts".

I've started just swiping my notifications away whenever I look at my phone rather than going through them, lol.

I feel like the conversation I get from websites like this one are much more significant and personal than those from social media channels.

Just curious if anyone else has gone through something similar.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

I'm not to be honest. I have a Facebook account but I do get friend request from people who I respond with "who the hell are you?"

I only have people from school, social events and online friends I've made over the years.

It's a small list but I get to see who my real friends are.

I do have a Twitter but that was years ago and I haven't touched it since. It's more of a "HEY LOOK AT ME!!!" Thing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I wouldn't say overwhelmed, but I would say annoyed, particularly with Twitter. I follow MAYBE 15 people/organizations consisting of various comic convention organizations (SDCC, NYCC, etc.) and sports writers for (49ers, SF Giants and Lakers) updates, but for whatever reason, I keep getting notifications from people I don't follow, which irritates the hell out of me. Twitter decided that it was okay to start sending me post updates for lewd cosplay models and crap that I don't follow. I barely use the app as it is. It makes me want to delete Twitter all together.

I also use FB and Instagram, but those apps are somewhat under control and I've muted the notifications, so it doesn't annoy me throughout the day with chimes and phone vibrations that drain my battery. That said, I don't need FB to alert me every time a friend changes their profile picture, posts a story or posts something in their feed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Doesn't overwhelm me at all. I don't have any friends on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. So I don't have to deal with anyone's bullshit drama. I only use social media to keep up on bands that I like, movies and pop culture in general.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Nope, not on any of that stuff. Have plenty enough drama in the real world ;) 

• Like Like x 5
  6. TF rocks

TF rocks Try and stop me! Studio Trigger for Transformers!

Nope. No social media for me. I have a Facebook account, but I never touch it, and I only follow a writing website on Twitter (no account there either).

I mostly use this site, my writing websites, Deviantart, Discord, or even YouTube. No real social media stuff like Facebook, Twitter, etc for me. :3

• Like Like x 1
  7. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    No, why do you ask?

8. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Maybe don’t use Social Media?

Despite what some people will tell you, social media is not required to live your life.

I have this account, a Reddit account I can barely stand, and Youtube. No Twitter, no Discord, no Snapchat, no Instagram, and no Facebook. And you know what? I love it. I don’t give two shits what you had for dinner, and it’s none of your business what I had for mine.

People have built this psychological dependency on social media, wanting to be seen and liked, and struggling if they aren’t, but it only adds stress to your life that shouldn’t have ever been there in the first place. Your better off without most of it.

• Like Like x 11
  9. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    What is this social media you speak of, and what is the magic therein?

• Like Like x 6
  10. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

lol i don't use social media

^this right here, folks. If what you follow doesn't bring you joy or keep you informed on what you want to be informed about, kick it to the curb.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I use only Facebook and HitRecord (HitShrekord?).

12. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 真破壊大帝

News Credits:
    If you're ever feeling overwhelmed by these sorts of things, it's completely understandable to wanna take a step back from them.

Basically, what @Purple Heart said. I can respect anyone who just doesn't wanna bother with it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No social media accounts for me. I only post here. My wife does Facebook, if anything happens, she'll tell me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    ive been finding social media as toxic, there are groups on facebook for transformers i wont mention who (as per rules) that constantly post hate posts about g1 or bay, it gets annoying, i only stay because its like 10% of the posts meaning the other 90% is epic, website pages to do with comics, anime, manga, cartoons, games is constantly full of people trying to bait you to put you into on of those hate boxs, you know racist, sexist and so on because once your in there its no longer about the topic its about you and your stuck on defense until you just delete your posts, example i said i like the idea of insert person as insert super hero, this didnt go down well.

there is a reason there is such thing as a social media detox lol

Now the big issue for me is, all my friends only contact each other though social media, its got us by the short and curlys, for the reasons above i haven't had an opinion on anything on facebook twitter and all those others for a long time and what i use to have a deleted some comments dont age well even if they are factual e.g i dont care who plays the role but if they screw it up people are gonna hear that i dont like it (only in person do i talk about those topics these days)

trying my hardest here to not get ranty or break any rules lol

15. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

I quit most social media but the only one I left because I felt overwhelmed was Instagram. I did toy photography and made a lot of friends and it got to the point I was spending hours just liking and commenting on people's photos to try and keep the peace. I got burned out and quit after almost 4 years.

• Like Like x 1
  16. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've been taking a long break from Twitter and Instagram. The whole election drama of 2020 really wore me the fuck out.

• Like Like x 2
  17. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Disgusted is more the word.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Banned

News Credits:
    Turn off the notifications. It helps, big time.

19. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

I only use Facebook. I would completely drop it, but all the Jeep clubs I'm in are only on Facebook. There's no other way for me to see events, etc.

20. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    Not really but I only use Facebook and dont pay much attention to it. I'm steadfast in my avoidance of the other platforms, especially the cesspool that is twitter.