Heavy/Scratch: Aerialbots Project (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by jezones, Aug 28, 2010.

1. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

update on page 5, 12-12-2010

I've been wanting to build a Superion For years now. I don't know what has come over me but i actually have started the process of gathering all that will be needed and building him. It's probably a little early to be starting a thread, but i think I will need this. I will use this to keep myself motivated and on track. I'm going to build this from scratch useing 1/72 scale models and trying to stay in the theme of the G1 transformations. I will add things like seperate legs and bending joints. I have recieved the first two models being an Italeri F-15E Strike Eagle and a Hasegawa F-4E Phantom II. These will be used as the legs of Superion. I know that in the G1 figure the Phantom is used as one of the arms, but in scale the F-4E and F15E are the same length. Wouldn't want superion walking with a limp. I'm still waiting on the F-16C Falcon, Concorde and the Av-8B Harrier to come in the mail. I got them all on Ebay trying to save some money on the kits. I actuall got the AV-8 for one dollar plus four bucks shipping. At first I was going to just build Superion with the Aerialbots not transforming. I figure I should just go all the way with this project.

Today i really didn't do to much but i did get Air Raid Cut into some of the basic pieces. It's still ruff around the edges but i have plenty of time to clean up the edges.

Thanks for visiting my post and i'll keep updating progress

Attached Files:

• 30.jpg
      30.jpg
      File size:
      300.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Looking forward to this one. Are you planning on using the G1 schemes or will you be using military colors.

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Good luck with this project, man! I picked up some model kits for some Aerialbots reshells about a year ago (still haven't gotten started yet though). I look forward to seeing what you do here!

4. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

This sounds like it'll be a very interesting project to watch :D  I like how you're going with a consistent scale as well.

5. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

After a lot of thought, and asking friends, reading what people think of the G1 paint schemes i'm going with real world paint schemes. I think this will make for a better looking figure. I think with the detail of the models that the G1 paint schemes would look funny.

6. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

In that case I would get a model of a B-1B Lancer then. I know you said you already have the Concorde enroute, but if going with realistic military paint schemes that would be the one change I would make in alt modes.

7. TronCity

TronCity TRANSFORMER JUNKIE

looks good bro! I am also in the beginning stages of making my first custom transformers which will be superion.

8. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is a project that I also picked up five 1/72 aircraft kits for, but they have stayed in their boxes so far as its a really scary thing to start on. I will probably go with more realistic versions of the original G1 colour schemes if/when I ever get that far, though. I also changed Silverbolts alt mode.

I came to the same conclusion as you about leg/arm length, but actually will reverse it and use the F15 and Phantom as arms.

9. JL4

JL4 Active Member

Hi

Nice idea mate!

How big is the kit? Im looking into scratch building a seeker, are the 1/72 kits good for a deluxe sized figure?

Thanks

10. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

I thought about using the B-1, I want to see what I can do with the Concorde first. I think with the right weathering the Concorde will fit in with the others.

11. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

The 1/72 F-15E is a little over 10 inches long. Should make for a good deluxe sized seeker

12. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Looking forward to this. :) 

13. JSP

JSP Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    this looks awesome I love seeing scratch builds and will be following this

14. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Great idea. This is going to take a long time to finish if you can pull it off properly. I also think the B-1 would be a better choice if you're going for a more military look.

15. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

im not really going for a military look, just real world. Havent really seen any red f-4 phantoms sitting at any airforce base. Silverbolt was a Concorde so thats what he will be.

16. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    *laughs* Oh my goodness you have the EXACT same model aircraft as I do for the Aerialbots! Same manufacture, same box! What fun! ^^
    I wish you luck, I can't wait to see your final product

17. jezones

jezones REEVERS!!!

That's funny. I just went on eBay and started looking for the cheapest kits. I was lucky to be able to get some of the good name brands that I got.

18. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

be careful when you buy cheap kits... i had to replace 2 of mine because the plastic juke broke off everytime i tried to cut into it !!! not a fun experience lol

19. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thus far the plastic of my kits has held up very well to cutting and gentle heating and reshaping, I'm actually surprised at how well it held up! ^^ But thanks for the advice, have you run into any companies in particular in models that I should watch out for? I'd hate to find out after buying a model.

20. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

well if i remember correctly i was an italian company (i dont recall the precise one because i was mad as hell and threw them in the garbage lol)

just stick with the ones you know.... revell, tamya, ect......