When should I start buying doubles?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sixshot, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    On lines I really love, I try to get doubles, one to open, one to keep misb. Given Classics relatively shorter life as a toyline, when should I start getting my doubles? I already have all of the released toys, but I've opened them... :)  Also, seeing as Jetfire and Grimlock are hard biotches to find, it might be potentially harder to find another one of each to keep misb.

2. DDM

DDM Super Steve

Grimmy and Jetfire won't be so hard to find eventually, they just need to saturate the market a bit.

Dont buy doubles unless you really want to, that's all there is to it really. And theres no real "time" to buy doubles

3. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

If you want to buy double to sell them later, forget it. But if you just want to keep it sealed because you like it then by all means. I got doubles of Grimlock so far but I may get doubles of Starscream, Rodimus, and BB later as well because I love the toys.

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    It's not like there is a set rule or anything. I don't have doubles of any newer toys to keep sealed. It's your choice really. Any figures you want two of, buy as soon as you can afford to do it. I only have doubles of reissues. I usually bought two of them as soon as they were released, cause they went up if you waited.

5. butz

butz slippery when wet

I bought up doubles of the Classics right away (yes, even Grimlock and Jetfire), but I open all of mine.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I buy doubles of only toys that I really like and am afraid of breakages. I find myself getting clumsier as I get older! LOL!

7. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Instead of buying doubles, just buy more unique toys. Troop builders are except from this argument.

8. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I just love the look of a misb, but I feel the need to play with them! I have doubles of RID and some exclusives I love, like Rid Scourge. There's always the option of selling them down the road, but I haven't really considered that option ever. :D 

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    As soon as I feel like I can afford it, I'm buying doubles of all the Classics to keep MIB. I already have an extra Grimlock...felt like I needed to get it now since he's relatively hard to find (though I've seen him several times 'round these parts)

10. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For semi-rare figures like the wave 2 classics right now, I'd wait a month or so till they're a little more plentiful. Give everyone else a chance to get a first, then go for doubles once the initial rush is over. Of course I broke that when I got Mirage, but I'd been waiting for so long to get them that I just couldn't resist.

11. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I'm not usually a doubler unless I'm going to eventually make a custom... one is enough for me.

12. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I notice that the MISB hoarders never respond to these types of threads. It's just like when there is a thread about opening figures or keeping them sealed, everyone is always telling the poster to open everything, then I look in the Collection forum and half the collections are all MISB!
    But back on subject, I usually just buy doubles of Starscreams or Clearance items.

;) 

13. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The whole keeping a toy misb because it's going to be worth more later doesn't apply anymore. Everyone now seems to do it which provides an over abundance of sealed figures. It really only works for vintage figures. And if you're thinking any of these lines will be worth in the hundreds 20 years from now, I would have to disagree. I would only buy doubles for the reissues. Those I think will be worth more down the line.

14. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Who cares if people buy doubles? It's their money.

15. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Not a huge fan of doubles myself... unless something has happened to the original. I guess it technically would not be a double at that point. Also if you like to dabble in the kitbashing.

Otherwise, it is your money. Go nuts! Buy them all!

16. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I really like the classics line and I do plan on picking up doubles eventually. Grimlock has been the only exception because he looks to be the one shortpacked item in both wave 2 and 3, so I picked up my duplicate now.

I use to really try and collect duplicates, esp during the RID days, with the US only releases. That changed quickly as space started running short and well I woke up one day and said this is stupid. Now I only get duplicates of items I really like ... or their dirt cheap i.e. when the local TRU was clearancing the reissues for ~$5 each.

17. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I have doubles of all the classics thus far, excluding the prime vs megs two pack and the minicons. I did this because I REALLY LOVE them and transform them constantly so I know they will get worn.