What changes would GEEWUNners accept?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Silver Bullit, May 17, 2006.

1. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's Beast Wars Neo or nothing for me, and anyone who prefers anything else is so incredibly delusional and full of denial it just isn't funny.

STAMPY RUULLLZES!! :ev: 

2. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Dead End was my favorite toy for about a year after I discovered Neo.

3. buckmana

buckmana Well-Known Member

None.

The only thing I would accept is completely identical 3D-models of the original designs. I'm not decided on whether or not they should use the original voices (if these people are still around). The only one I know that might still be available is Susan Blu (Arcee). I've seen her name as voice director on a few newer cartoons (not Transformers).

I haven't seen many of the Dreamwave designs (other then what came with my Transformer series DVDs (I have them all, I'm so happy :D  )), but they seem like they were a good blend of their own ideas and faithfulness to the original designs. That kind of thing I could have lived with.

But a complete redesign? Forget it. Who wants to see Soundwave as a helicopter, Ravage as a humanoid robot and Arcee as a bike?

4. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Then why be offended

It's all in your mind Nightrain,your taking offense at something which by your admission isn't even directed to you.

If you realize that then you've got no reason to be offended then do you? ;) 

For instance I'm an anime fan,you don't see me getting offended when someone talks about "Otakus" Why,because I know I'm not one

I'm a G1 fan and I'm not even CLOSE to offended.Why? Because I don't act like a "Geeunner"

I consider "Geewunner" to be a stereotype.And personally I feel that the people most likely to get offended by a sterotype are the ones who perpetuate it. Anyone else will just brush it off a tripe.

If you don't act like a Geewunner then don't worry about it.As we're not talking about you :) 

5. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

I think the goal should be to make the robot modes look a LOT like the original character when you're dealing with the main lineup (pretty much 84-85, and the Movie cast) and with everything else, whatever bone you want to throw is pretty cool.

Energon Galvatron seems like a really great compromise between G1 authenticity and Alt-mode updating.

I did pass on Alt. Grimlock as a Mustang. I think it suited the character well, but Wheeljack appealed more to me because it seemed to suit him better.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Jury's out on chopper Soundwave. I didn't think Soundwave would work as an aircraft, but Cyb. Soundwave works pretty well IMO, and Energon Arcee totally does, better than a pink convertible anyway.

Can't say I've been a fan of any toy named Ravage outside of G1 thus far.

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Pretty well sums up my feelings on those, too.

I do think Soundwave would work great as an RAH-66 like helicopter. That thing was about as close to silent as a helicopter gets. Makes for an interesting irony.

8. Wheels

Wheels Cammy's Boy Toy

:rolleyes2  Of course it doesn't apply to me or others who haven't watched BW Neo yet. :p 

9. buckmana

Sometime back (and I don't know exactly where and when), I discovered there was a kind of car called an RC. I'm not certain, but I think it's a open-top car, much like Arcee's original vehicle mode.

Do you see where her name comes from? ARCee.

And that would make sense, since two Autobots that were in the show with her also had names based on their vehicle transforms.

Hot Rod - obvious.
    Kup - picKUP truck.

But I was just picking on them as examples. I think it'll be like that for every Transformer in the movie. What's the point of going to see guys (and girl) I don't know?

But I'm just an obsessive G1 fan. Don't worry about me.

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Basically, they just need to stay true to the original mythos. As this movie is going to be (supposedly) inspired by G1 with fresh stuff thrown in (along with nods to the newer stuff I'm sure), I would say that even in G1 standards you've got some variants going on.

Which G1 do they stay true to? The American Cartoon? The Japanese Cartoon? The US Marvel Comic? The UK Marvel Comic? The DW G1 Comic? ...well, screw DW anyways... But my point basically is that all of these others (both cartoons and the US & UK comics) were all basically around at the same time and all could be considered by one G1 fan as being the "definitive" version of G1.

11. Shaun_C

Interesting thought,but then this leaves the question

"What does staying true to the mythos mean?"

To me EVERY TF series to date has stayed true to the mythos.You have 1)Autobots/Maximals 2)Decepticons/Predacons 3)Planet Cybertron 4)Planet earth 5)The Matrix.All that was established in G1 and every TF series afterward has included all those concepts

That to me is what staying true to G1 is.And Armada,Energon and Cybertron even went a bit further with the return of vehicle transforms & a SERIOUS amount of homages.

What I described is what I personally take "G1 inspired" to mean.Has nothing to do with voice actors but the key concepts of the series itself

12. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

AMEN

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Agreed. The current lines have all been G1 inspired. Which, if you were to take a close look at the comments made by the production staff of the movie... it mostly seems to mean that the movie is going to be like most of the current series out there. Characters we're familiar with, but different at the same time. Really we're not going to know until the movie comes out.

But, again, I agree with what you've stated as the basic mythos of TFs. However, I think that (as with what is the definitive version of G1) it's another concept that the fans are going to have wide ranges of differences on. I remember in the other thread where we were discussing this... I believe someone stated that they didn't feel that the Matrix was needed to be true to the mythos since it wasn't really a part of the first two seasons of the cartoon and the comic version of the Matrix started off drastically different from what it was after Simon Furman took over the US comic. So, it's all really open for interpretation.

Basically, some of us are going to love this movie and some are going to hate it. As long as it's more like the X-Men and Spider-Man movies... I'll enjoy it. But if I get something like Catwoman or Punisher... well... I'm trying to remain optimistic while not getting my hopes super hypde, because that doesn't help either.

14. Shaun_C

That's that person's problem if he feels like that to be bluntly honest

Transformers:The movie is part of G1 right? The matrix was introduced in the movie.Thus making it part of G1.The G1 toon doesn't end at season 2,it ends after the Rebirth trilogy.

15. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

For me, G1 does end with season two. The movie was the deconstruction of the franchise, and the beginning of G1.5. I don't really have much use for anything introduced in the movie, or after it. I've always felt that Galvatron should be Megatron's subordinate. He'd make great harrassment for Starscream.

This is entirely my opnion. It's bound to vary from a lot of people's opinions. We can't even agree on what color Runble was in G1. We'll never come to an agreement what the "Deffinitive Version" of G1 is.

16. buckmana

Personally, I'm more concerned with visual style than story.

I just want to be able to recognize the characters. With the exception of Optimus Prime and Unicron, I have no idea who the newer toys are.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Considering the movie and season 3 stuff was labeled "Generation One" by hasbro ( example: CS Reissue Ultra Magnus ), we do have a definitive definition as to what G1 is...

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IMHO of course, G1 really ended when Cybertron grew vegetation.:wink:  RID is set in LA-LA land, and then A/E/sorta-kinda C, is someplace/sometime else.:D 

Of couse in Japan G1 would be everything before Car Robots.

"Shields UP!" and flys off. :lol 

19. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Which is basically the point I was getting at. Everyone has a different idea of what the "definitive" version is. Doesn't mean that the different ideas are wrong, but it's going to make this movie a hard sell overall IMO.

20. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Like I said, "my opinion." It still doesn't give us a deffinitive version of G1. The cartoon contradicted itself, a lot. Which contradictions do we keep, which ones do we ignore? What a bout the comics? They differed pretty heavily from the cartoon? And, that's just the Marvel comics. There's olso the Marvel UK comics, Dreamwave's, and IDW's comics. Let's not forget how the tech specs often dissagreed with everything else. What's deffinitive G1? there?

There are too many choices available. Everybody is going to pick their own favorite. Even if I'm the only one standing out in the rain, saying season 3 is not G1 to me (and I probably am) the rest of the fandom is still going to be argueing as to what they consider canon for G1.

There is no deffinitive G1.