Seeking some convention advice....

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by NaSMaX, May 8, 2017.

1. NaSMaX

NaSMaX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ok, this year I have a chance to go to either TFCon or New York Comic Con and I can't decide which to go to. I can't go to both because I won't have enough time saved up at work to go to both events so I kinda have to choose.

I know New York Comic Con is bigger but TFCon is more geared to what I like the most: Transformers. And I was always regretful that I did get a chance to go to botcon before the cease operations.

More to the point I've never been to either conventions before so I don't know what to expect. I do know that one of the major reasons I want to go is convention exclusives and I don't know which will have which. So I'm asking the board which one is the better bet (experience, money, exclusives, etc.)

2. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

TFcon will be much cheaper. 50 bucks gets you an entire weekend admission. That's a single day for NYCC admission. Crowds won't be as unbearable as NYCC

3. NaSMaX

NaSMaX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Bump

4. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since you've never really been to a convention before, it is difficult to recommend one or the other because you don't know what kind of experience you will enjoy better. Although I've never personally been to NYCC, I do know that it is kind of polar opposite of TFCon.

From my personal experience of conventions in general, I prefer the smaller, more intimate ones like TFCon. There will be "exclusives" at TFCon, but they are more likely to be unofficial 3rd party toys. That may or may not matter to you at all. NYCC and even SDCC are like madhouses. There are lots of things to see and do for sure, but you are likely constantly fighting crowds, walking around and squeezing between people who have bad hygiene etc, etc, but they are more likely to have "official" exclusive toys. I guess you just have to decide which experience you are LIKELY to enjoy better and pick one.

5. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never been to either convention but maybe you can compare the guest lists for both conventions, if that makes a difference to you.

6. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have not been to NYCC but I have been to Rose City Comic Con as well as Emerald City Comic Con, and both of these are large Comic Cons. I have also been to three TFcon USA conventions. After experiencing all three of these types of conventions, I can tell you that I enjoy TFcon more. This is not due to that TFcon is just geared towards Transformers but the attendees get to hang out with the voice actors more at TFcon than at the larger conventions. I have hung out with 10 voice actors at TFcon whereas, with the larger conventions, you will not get that chance. At the larger conventions, you might get their autograph and a picture with them but that can be very expensive. At TFcon, it is much cheaper with both as well as hanging out with the voice actors. Like others mentioned, TFcon is cheaper than the big name brand conventions in terms of admission.