How can i get my ps3 to work on my tv

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by G1Decepticons, Jan 17, 2010.

1. G1Decepticons

G1Decepticons Banned

Ok so comcast has decided to delete alot of channels on our tv. Idk if it is the same with yours but but i got channels deleted on my tv of 25 and above i will no longer get signal for. So my father and i bought comcast box thigns that will help me get signals on those channels and i get alot more tv channels now. But here is the problem i cant se my ps3 cause I cant get it on that one channel in order for the ps3 to show up on screen. my dad says it is channel 3 but when i press 03 on ym remote it doesnt go to channel 3. How do i get my ps3 to show up ons creen on the tv now because ever since i got that new comcast box for the tv and i got a new remote for that tv to help me change the channels. But idk how to sue that rmeote to help me get my ps3 to come ons creen Please help.

2. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    This is the wrong place for this thread, but you're using an RF modulator with a PS3?

3. G1Decepticons

G1Decepticons Banned

sorry about that i realized this i put it in the wrong place

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Get a new tv. One that uses RCA cables at the LEAST.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    How is your PS3 hooked up to your tv? HDMI or Red, Yellow, White cords?

You may just need to find which video channel the ps3 is set up on?

6. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You may need to get new connectors for your PS3. It sounds like previously you had an RF modulator and connected with coaxial cables. Comcast's standard cable box connects with the same cable, and when the installer set it up (if they did) likely it was removed from the setup.

First thing to check is if everything is still wired up. If it is, then try changing the channel manually at the TV. Comcast's remote will not change your TV's channel, even if you are on the TV setting. Their thought is that you have no reason to change the TV channel when everything runs through the cable box.

If everything is still wired up, and when you power on the PS3 and change the TV to channel 3 and you still get no signal, you will probably need to upgrade to a new connection. Check the back/sides of your TV and look for additional connectors. The two to mostly look for will be colored circles in a set of 3 (Red, White, Yellow) or 5 (Red, White, Red, Blue, Green). If you have an HDTV also look for a HDMI connector. Any of these connections will give you a better picture than a coaxial connection, and if you have the time, buy them online becasue even the cheapest cables at Wal*Mart will cost you 10 times the amount of Amazon.com.

7. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    The cable company cannot stop you from physically changing the TV to channel 3, lawl. If it won't change, your TV is broke.

8. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    No, being a Comcast user I can tell you that the cable remote will not change the TV channel despite being a "universal remote". Even if you have it set on TV mode, even if you ask it very nicely.

9. GogDog

News Credits:
    You not supposed to set the CABLE BOX to channel 3, which is all the Comcast remote can control, you have to set the TV to channel 3. Two very different things.

The TV cannot be taken over by a company.

The cable company cannot deactivate the button on a TV and prevent it from changing channels.

But I imagine that his problem is unrelated to that but it's being lost in communication.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  10. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    We're talking cross points. The older generation Comcast remotes when the TV button was selected would let you change the TV channel, and when the Cable button was selected would let you change the cable channel. The newer generation ones don't let you change the TV channel by the cable remote. If the OP only had the old cable remote for the TV, going to the new remote would make it seem that the TV can't change channels.

11. GogDog

News Credits:
    You're adding like 15 billion layers of complication on what is a simple concept.

12. GogDog

News Credits:
    OP, if you are using an RF modulator for connecting your PS3, it should be connected DIRECTLY to the TV, and then the cable box should connect to that. That way, as long as the TV is on channel 3, the box is completely out of the picture.

Most cable boxes already work on channel 3, and since it stopped working after you got new equipment from Comcast, I suspect that you may be trying to connect the PS3 AFTER the box instead of directly to the TV, THEN connecting the box.

Even so, using an RF Modulator for a PS3 is a waste. Im wondering if that's what you are using anyway since you have to buy that after the fact, but anything is possible. Either way, you would benefit greatly by getting a TV with RCA inputs if you don't already have them (the yellow, red, and white cables).

13. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    No, I've just done enough family tech support things to know that to some people, the cable/universal remote is all. Alpha and Omega. And as such can go a bit to explaining why the OP can't change the channel.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Screw what the cable remote can and can't do, that has literally nothing to do with it. Use the channel changing buttons on the TV and change it to channel 3. If Channel 3 has been removed on the TV, go into the TV menu and add it.

And seriously, who still hooks stuff up with an RF modulator? Is that even what's going on?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010