Bubble taped up?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grimlockfirst, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Grimlockfirst

Grimlockfirst Member

Hello,

This is my first thread started here, so forgive me if it's in the wrong forum.

I have a substantial collection of unopened Transformers from the movie trilogy. In particular, I try to collect those figures that were actually in the movies. I am very particular about the box conditions.

So, because there was no U.S. commercial release of the Deluxe Leadfoot, Soundwave, and Que figures, I bought the Japanese versions online from a seller in Tokyo.

When I got them, they all had heavy (and sloppy) tape about the bubble edges. At first glance, it looks like they were either opened, or the bubbles were pulling loose and someone decided to tape them up.

The seller tells me this is normal for the Japanese releases (Takara) and swears they are unopened and fresh from the case. Is the assertion about the tape true? If so, the U.S. releases looked exponentially cleaner . . .

2. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HasTak has been using tape on their blister cards for a few years now. Tape is on both the US and JPN releases.

3. Grimlockfirst

Grimlockfirst Member

And the HasTak is different than the figures I've been buying in the stores for the past 5 years? I've never seen any this sloppy

4. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Japanese figures are taped up pretty hastily, people in factories don't give a fuck (or the machines), speed is money. If you want to check if the item has been opened you can usually tell by looking at the top of the bubble which is attached to the bubble in the traditional matter, if the bubble has been lifted from the card, you should see some tell tale tearing or even stress marks on the plastic bubble. Sounds normal to me, if you're really not sure post pictures.
    Of course, lot's of people would say these figures should be opened, but those people are probably jealous of your storage space and will power :) 

5. sideswipe88

sideswipe88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah all takara dotm deluxes use tape, my topspin and vortex had it

6. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is normal for Takara releases. I've picked up a few takara figures and they have always come like this, at least for me.

7. Grimlockfirst

Grimlockfirst Member

Thanks, guys. They are pretty sloppy, which is disappointing. If I ever chose to get them AFA rated, I wonder whether they would believe them to be unopened :) 

As sloppy as they are, I'm not sure a picture would do them justice if I tried to post them for you to see.

8. Zendai

Zendai Minicon Addict

My first Takara transformer came the same way. I opened it so it didn't matter to me but that was very sloppy.

9. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

as far as I know, that's normal for Takara, I bought a Takara Insecticon from ROTF and it was taped to the cardboard, no glue in that (and it was AMAZING, the cardboard is so nice without having to destroy it to open the figure...)

10. Grimlockfirst

Grimlockfirst Member

I don't think this tape would come off without destroying the cardboard. It looks like they used half a roll on each figure :) 

Seller still swears that's how it is in Japan (which I guess he's referring specifically to Takara).

11. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Yup. Takara LOVES TAPE. I noticed it when I started getting my United figures from them. That dam blister on those cards seemed like it had a roll of tape for each figure! An yes, some tape jobs were sloppier then others but whudya gonna do. I much prefered there Henkie packaging the best. I miss those days....

12. Grimlockfirst

Grimlockfirst Member

Well, I guess they are legit. Thanks, all, for putting my mind at ease.

Now, if only he had packaged them so the bubbles weren't so damn scratched up . . . :)