Zolocon

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by gen1fan, Feb 16, 2017.

1. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This Saturday February 18 th. PAPPY'S Toys will be set up at the Zolocon being held at
    The Fuge . 780 Falcon Circle . Warminster Pa. 18974

PAPPY'S Toys specializes in G.I. Joe and Transformer toys from the 80's to present. We also have other toy lines from the 80's and 90's.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the show.

2. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Did you see the table prices for 2019? Holy cow. Even "bronze tier" in some forgotten basement hole is triple what 2016 cost.

3. gen1fan

News Credits:
    The year we did the show. Once you taking our expenses like fuel, lodging, tolls, table cost. We didn't make a whole lot of money after that so, We haven't set up sense. We did go up last year to see some friends that normally go to shows on the Eastern side of Pennsylvania and buy bits and pieces to finish off my private collection but we're not planning on setting up at that show any more

4. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I will be set up at in the bronze room, next to the NECA guys. First time doing this show, it's see how it goes.

5. RKillian

News Credits:
    Good luck. Hopefully it's local so you're not out of pocket for a motel room. That Friday-only setup is just brutal otherwise.

6. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I wonder why he doesn't allow for early setup Saturday morning? It's only like a 35 drive for me. I'm going to stay at my cousins place Friday night so it should be like a 15 drive. Thank goodness I'm off Friday, I will be there early to set up. How was the show for you when you did it?

7. RKillian

News Credits:
    That's new for this year. Steel City in Pittsburgh started that back in 2015 and blamed the dock workers union. I think there's a kickback from local motels though.

I went in 2016 when it was one day with $70 tables and averaged $20 over five sales. Aside from it being February, I liked the atmosphere as a no-frills toy show, but I lost money. Now that it costs more like $450, it's a non-starter for me. The Fuge just doesn't have the room to accommodate the level of traffic that would justify that.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    That's not good it all. Do you think at the time it was because dealers had the same collectibles? Last year, I was at the show for most of the day and it's seem to have a good crowd through out the day.

9. RKillian

News Credits:
    No. It wasn't like NJCC where 2/3 of the dealers had Marvel Legends and Black Series. However, there was relatively little new stuff (mostly used). I was stationed between a girl selling Dr Who and Yokai Watch and Geek Boy Press with their chibi art postcards. Traffic was...I think we had maybe half a dozen people walk by in an hour during the busier times. The traffic never approached what I'd call particularly busy.

This was on top of some inexplicable setup issues. Tables were numbered but there was no order to their location (like the lottery's ball machine exploded). There was a freight elevator but there was no loading door and you couldn't use the main entrance (they had people dragging stuff up a narrow staircase to a single-width door). With the cold and the wind, it was just really unpleasant. I really hope setup is less of a pain now.

During a lull, I shopped around, but my heart wasn't in it. I picked up some art from GBP to go with some art I got from them at RetroCon (I think). The TV commercials projected on the wall were a nice touch. Kept me engaged when traffic was slow. Probably would've found something else to buy if I wasn't worried about selling. RetroCon, I have to chain myself to the table, otherwise I'd fill up a second truck.

I'm trying hard not to be overly critical. I just can't fathom where the price escalation makes any sense whatsoever.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  10. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I will be in the bronze room, thought I would prefer to be in the main room. I'm hoping the crowd the NECA guys gets comes to me. I heard that setup is a pain, I will be there early on Friday to get stuff in.

11. fleamarketinc

fleamarketinc New Member

Can't speak for previous years, but last year was packed. The dealers that I know did very well and will be back next weekend. So, between the growing popularity of the show and hours expanding into Sunday, I would expect table prices to go up.

12. RKillian

News Credits:
    Prices escalated _fast_ and it takes a long time for double days to deliver double traffic. If the show's doing well enough to support that, fine, I just can't invest $500 into it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  13. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I was there for a few hours walking around talking to friends, check out every dealers table. Since the lightning is horrible there you have to take your time. Use your cellphone light to check tables out. Yeah, last year was packed. It was hard to move around at times. I keep saying to myself I should have gotten a table here. And yes, the price for a table is high in my opinion. That's why I was looking for someone to split a table. I'm the guy in the Foles Eagles jersey. ;) 

Attached Files:

14. gen1fan

News Credits:
    For some reason I'm still on his vendors contact list so I received an email earlier this week and it said that the management of the facility I was only going to allow him in one hour prior to his VIP time slot.
    As far as looking at it from vendor side it's such a pain to load in and out of this rat trap of a building. I also hate how dark the lighting is in the rooms. Make sure you have extra lighting for your table

15. gen1fan

News Credits:
    Sorry guys I'm not on this website as often as 1 once was. More on Facebook group pages then here. I mainly just use this website to update my parts needs. This way I always have my list on my phone.

Alot of window shoppers this time of the year.
    I don't think that has anything to do with it. There were a 2 or 3 other dealers selling Transformers and GI joe, but no where near my inventory I had back then. I think it has to do with the fact that it so close to after Christmas. Most people are still paying off their holiday bills.
    We did not clear 1000.00 the year I had set up there. I don't have my notes with me, I can't recall how many sale but I want to say average was like $35. Best sell was a G1 starscream, G1 Megatron and another G1 I let the buyer have it for 200 just so we could make some money that year.

From the dealers I know that we're set up here last year only 1 of the 5 is returning this weekend. Most said the increase in tables cost and having to get a hotel vs driving an hour or 2 home then doing the drive back for Sunday was too much for what they bring in here. Plus I was looking on Facebook they are 2 other shows with an hour to drive this weekend

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  16. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    One dealer I talked too, told me he made $5,000 on friday. I had an awesome time as a dealer at this show. I was actually surprised how well I did. On saturday I was busy from 8am to 3pm, I barely had a chance to leave my table. I love it like that. And it was pretty brilliant to have sunday free entry for kids, sunday was busy too. I will be back at this show next year.

17. RKillian

News Credits:
    Glad to hear you did well. I was concerned with how expensive it was relative to other shows you'd done.

18. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    And I wasn't even in the main room I was in the bronze room across from the NECA guys.

19. RKillian

News Credits:
    Tables are up at least another 10% this year. Yikes.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  20. gen1fan

News Credits:
    I know from being on staff for 2 shows now you want your dealers to cover the cost of the venue. That way what you make at the door goes to your door prizes or for next year shows deposit, or show advertisement, lunch for staff/ Vip. I know this show ask the vendors to give them items as door prizes and he doesn't have guest. I know some shows make money off the dealers. Their are issues with the show that I stated before in this tread, but im now banned from attending. Cause they did not like my remark about the show this year. I went to the show with 1,000.00 and only spend a whopping 88.00 dollar. Yes the vendors had item. Just nothing on my wants list.