Zeta Toys ZV-02 Core Star / 1Studio Cell (G1 Unicron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by foxracing, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's no such thing as a one way mirror. It's just a semi-reflective glass and you crank up the light on one side while keeping it dark on the other side so that the reflection is brighter than the image showing through. Like @mechman22 says, his eyes are basically mirror sunglasses. Turn on the LED and the light is bright enough to show through but in actuality only about half the light from the LED is making it through his lenses. Honestly it's simple enough that any figure with light up eyes should do it rather than being dead eyed when the lights are off.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Boss Borot

Boss Borot A Pile of Scrap

Has anyone done a panel-lining or wash to their Cell? I'm curious about how it'd look. I'm thinking it would look nice on the planet mode, but I'm afraid it would ruin the clean feel of the robot mode.

• Like Like x 2
  3. imest

imest Well-Known Member

Yes, there was someone who published pictures of a wash they did. I believe it was around December last year? I could be wrong on the date but if you search this thread you should find pictures.

4. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Discovered this last night but the Pumpkin version is highly UV reactive :D 

PXL_20211101_080519834.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  5. HappyCryCat

HappyCryCat Well-Known Member

Random tip: If you want a more realistic and natural panel lining, a shade of grey is loads better than paneling in black.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Prometheus 073

Prometheus 073 Well-Known Member

If you are having trouble sliding that upper part of the chest up, I find that on mine, the easiest way is to remove the head. Then you can put approach the task from the top, put your two thumbs where the head would be, inside the circle that sinks down, and use your other fingers to pull the assembly up, using your thumbs as the leverage. Pops right up every time.

(Technically it's parts forming, but I don't mind such hacks once I am able to transform something the "right" way. As long as the figure CAN be transformed without taking stuff off, I don't mind taking stuff off to make a tranformation easier...)

This has probably been said in this thread at some point, but I'm new and thought I would point it out in case.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Prometheus 073

Agreed. I fished around a lot for help, and this was the best reference I found as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Prometheus 073

Pics? I couldn't see that when I re-watched the movie...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jaguaratron

Jaguaratron Well-Known Member

Ask and you shall receive

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  10. Prometheus 073

Nice capture! Huh. Yeah, it DOES kinda look like back abs. It's really fast on screen, and I think that's the only shot we have of his back, but that still is fairly convincing. Thanks!

11. Puulis

Puulis Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is what I used to do, but it was still bothering me. Turns out taking the springs out and fully compressing them sets it at exactly the right stiffness. It still solidly locks in place, but it's not totally effing scary to move.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Prometheus 073

I NEED HELP WITH JUST ONE ASPECT. OF THIS FIGURE. I got it all down really well, except for the four tabs in the picture. There are two on top, and two on bottom, right near the poles. I can't get them to push in and settle down into their places. WAY too tight. Is this a common issue? Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to shave something down? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I just got the Pumpkin version of this last week. I freaking LOVE this thing! What a stupendous figure! The transformation was not as frustrating as I imagined. I took my time with it, figured out all the ins and outs pretty well. There are definitely a few things to know about the transformation going in, but overall, it's just very well done. Other than the question above, I think I have this masterpiece MASTERED.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Puulis

Puulis Well-Known Member

Okay, these tabs are an absolute bastard to get in the first time. After that they aren't an issue, as the slots become loose enough to allow the tab to easily seat. There is a trick, but you might not like it. The main problem is there's no way to apply enough counterpressure on the ball without either popping something apart, or worse, breaking it. If his legs are in the robot mode configuration you can get the extra leverage needed to seat these tabs for the first time by pushing on the shins. Means you're going to have to undo at least the legs, probably some of the arms too.

After that, make sure the tabs go in and out easy (all 4 of them,) get him back to the state he's in in your picture, and tab them in for real.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Prometheus 073

Hey! Whata ya know! Transformed him into robot mode and stuck those tabs right in. REALLY tight the first time, but that seemed to "break them in" to the proper tolerance. Easy peasy to do now!

Thanks, your advice was spot on. Just what I needed. You gave me another thing to be thankful for on this day.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mattress T

Mattress T Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    20211123_171725.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 19
  16. Huktonfonix

Huktonfonix Well-Known Member

They need to do another repaint of this and call it Omicron.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

Fixed that for you . . .

• Like Like x 4
  18. idkwdya

idkwdya Nicks_Plastic_Shelf

Instagram:
    Huge thanks for this!
    Totally fixed the gap issues on my copy.

19. Prometheus 073

I was curious about this too!

I got him out a few days ago, and transformed to bot from planet. This was only my second time doing so. I timed myself with a stopwatch and it took me 40 minutes, but I made an error or two and had to back track a couple of times. I think I should be able to get that down to 30 minutes with a few more tries.

Today I went from bot to planet (much harder) and it took me 56 minutes. This was only my third try at that conversion. I will probably be able to shave 10 or so minutes off of that, but it actually went pretty well and I don't imagine doing much better than that.

So I'm a bit slow, but on the whole this transformation is not NEARLY as difficult as I had imagined. It's actually pretty straight forward once you understand it, and learn the 3 or 4 mistakes not to make along the way.

Again: super impressive figure, one of the best things in my collection for sure.

Did anyone else opt for the swap-out panels on the shoulders and forearms? I finally decided that I like the cleaner look in planet mode. And also sorta liked the color break up in bot mode, screen accuracy taking a hit.

Looking back through this thread seems like most of you kept the orange panels instead?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I swapped out the panels on the back of the shoulders, and kept the orange panels on the front... so that the top half of the planet mode has the correct colours, and you don't usually see the difference in bot mode.

Nice that they gave us options!

• Like Like x 4