Zeta Toys ZV-02 Core Star / 1Studio Cell (G1 Unicron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by foxracing, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Puulis

Puulis Well-Known Member

Yeah, I actually sanded the barbs down on my copy, I saw myself breaking them over time with the amount of force needed to connect/disconnect them. They aren't really too critical to getting the planet mode to stay together so reducing them to the level of a gentle thoop is still fine, and it makes the transformation more pleasant.

This still scares the shit out of me every time I do it. Right now I use gravity to help, but it still feels too tight. This thing wasn't designed to be taken apart but I'm still tempted to see if there's anything I can do to make it less scary. It doesn't need to lock at all really. The chest panels tab into the top & bottom half in robot mode as well as going with gravity, and in planet mode the leg clips keep the top propped up. The locking only makes the steps of connecting the legs easier since you don't have to hold the torso up while you do it.

That's what I do, but getting them lined up in the first place can be a bit fiddly.

I love peolesdru's videos (this is the one that convinced me to get Cell in the first place, I'm a transformation engineering junkie) and they serve great to clearly lay out the order of steps, but by their nature they don't convey the force needed in some steps or minor-but-important details like how to not accidentally snap the inner forearm tabs, or the complete disaster that is the unmodified rings.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Will the wing tips ever be offered again (for either the normal or larger rings)? I finally ordered the Pumpkin version and would really like to complete him with the wing tips!

3. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    You should ask Hafiz - Log into Facebook

4. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

Thanks, but no FB here LOL... I shutdown my account in 2019 for many reasons and have never looked back. On topic though, I saw someone on ebay selling a set for $35, but they look very rough and appear to be 3d printed. If none are available I'll just end up creating my own.

• Like Like x 2
  5. octobotimus

octobotimus Anti-hype man

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "I am, inevitable".
    Unicron.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  6. Puulis

Puulis Well-Known Member

EDIT: Don't do this. Scroll down the thread for why.

I don't know how much this bothers people, or it was already known, but if you plane the small white piece his forearm panels tab into to be flush with the panels themselves (about to where the hexagonal hole starts to flare out) it really helps the tolerance issues preventing those panels from lining up correctly.

IMG_20211020_151525786.jpg IMG_20211020_151328100.jpg IMG_20211020_151221269.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rdfnd1253

Rdfnd1253 Well-Known Member

Any word on a unicron of light green version? Or any repairs?

8. soundwavin

soundwavin Active Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Does anyone know where to get the base in this picture, to support the larger upgraded rings? I know I can use two of the tractor beams, but I wanted to display with one in use periodically

[​IMG]

9. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it’s the tall flight pose stand but I’ve been waiting for them to be in stock for like 6 months. It’s supposed to be available sometime before the end of the year.

2DEAF63D-866C-4E7E-A9DA-7475CD743319.png

• Like Like x 5
  10. soundwavin

soundwavin Active Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Thanks a bunch for the link! If you see it come in stock again, would really appreciate it if you could bump here.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Puulis

Puulis Well-Known Member

I'm a damn idiot, don't do this. Well, you can if you want, and it fixes the problem, but there's an easier, better way:

The panels are installed upside-down from the factory. The fully flat part of the white piece should face outwards and the rounded part should face inwards. If you look at the forearm panels they're keyed for the circle part. I originally didn't do this because it felt like there was a stop meant to prevent the panels from rotating closed, but it's really just meant as a soft ratchet to snap them in place for planet/bot modes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kup98ss

Kup98ss Active Member

I cant make up my mind which version I like more, the both have their positives and negatives.
    Any opinions on which version to get?

13. Jaguaratron

Jaguaratron Well-Known Member

either, both, you cant go wrong though if cant make up mind may as well go for the cheapest

14. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

i like the first release the best. for some reason pumpkin just doesn't hit me the same way it hits others. but good luck either way with your choice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mafai susu

Mafai susu Lo’u fa’atonu titi

Get the most expensive one cus it’s always better.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Puulis

Puulis Well-Known Member

Personally, I like cell. In bright photo lighting he can look a bit washed out, but looks good in person. I feel like pumpkin is a bit too dark & saturated color wise once he's not under overpowering photography lights.

It can help to highlight the differences between the figures when it comes to making a decision:

Pumpkin is more readily available, cheaper, and has a slightly more accurate planetmode (orange circle on the back) at the cost of having an orange taint in robot mode that sticks out if you display him somewhere you're looking up at him. The prototype shots on most stores don't show the orange taint, you have to find a picture of a production sample: link

The color blocking is a bit different as well. Cell has annoying yellow linkages in his collar and the white tabs on his shoulders stick out, but Pumpkin has those sculpt-breaking black elbow joints.

All depends on what your priorities are.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kup98ss

Kup98ss Active Member

It's like you read my mind. I agree with most things you noted. The grey elbow joints especially. It's just hard to tell from pictures, in one pic cell will look better, in another shot pumpkin will look better. I honestly wish they would do a version of cell and just add some grey to his blue colors. I prefer cell in planet mode, and I'm undecided about robot mode. In all honesty though, $300 for pumpkin is a great deal and he is an easy find, I might just break down and get him. Though I'm tempted to wait out for a 3rd version.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The blue version, for a lot of people, *is* movie Unicron. That's a big sales pitch for most.

On the other hand, the pumpkin version is technically more accurate in some of the movie scenes and the planet mode has the rear circle painted on that the blue does not. There's even a slight bit of remolding in that spot.

Pumpkin is more affordable from Show.Z, cell is more expensive across the board.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Phase Sixer

Phase Sixer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always thought Cell looked washed out, I actually prefer the deeper colors with Pumpkin.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rdfnd1253

Rdfnd1253 Well-Known Member

I’m torn. I got cell recently but I do love me some pumpkin