Zeta Toys ZV-02 Core Star / 1Studio Cell (G1 Unicron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by foxracing, Jul 22, 2019.

1. BairdimusPrime

BairdimusPrime youtube.com/billythekidsnobullshittoyreviews

News Credits:
    Still waiting on an update on mine... will probably have to wait for an update on Monday

Attached Files:

2. Mentasm

Mentasm I check in, but I don't check out.

I had minor paint chipping on one of the chest pieces of my figure, which didn't tab together all that well either, so I swapped the hands and basically flipped the entire figure 180 degrees so it's at the back. Now one of the panels is a slightly different colour due to the paint being thinner, but it doesn't really show under regular lighting conditions. It tabs together better as well.

I transformed it to alt mode and the process itself isn't really all that difficult - in fact it's quite fun - but the tolerances are off on mine so it was nigh on impossible to get some tabs into place. I shaved a few, but even after that some stuff just wouldn't clip in (and those light grey securing tabs were having none of it). There's not a lot of forgiveness in the rings either (they didn't even need to tab together that tight). One of the planet mode horns on mine is seriously warped as well, which is a shame. Still it looks good and if they can sort the tolerances on the second run it will be even better. I'm kinda tempted to get one so I can display both modes...

Only took me about twenty minutes or so to go back to bot mode and that looks glorious! Still have no idea where to put him. If I get another I could have one on each of my smaller display cases... Yes I'm rationalising... I really don't need two....

The batteries going in back to front is stupid, but I've taken them out now anyway as I won't use that gimmick (thank Primus for the metallic eyes). Very stiff joints all round, great articulation; the 360 on the shoulder only works at one angle though and even then it's tight. No butterfly joint either. Other than that, it's pretty great.

I need to take some proper pics at some point.

3. Rich33

Rich33 Well-Known Member

Glad you are liking him.
    The warped horn is easily fixed by boiling water - 1 of mine was terrible due to the way it had been squashed into the chest during packing.
    I just dunked it in for a few seconds until it started to soften, removed from the water, and it returned itself to its normal shape. Word of warning - they get very soft so i wouldnt physically move or leave in the water too long, just til it starts to reshape itself, then repeat if needed.

The grey clips on the shoulders dont go in on mine either, but i found them unnecessary as it all holds together v well, so i ignore them.
    I also shaved/filed the hooking tabs on the ring connectors and they work much better now.
    20200705_052026.jpg
    20200705_051858.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    The official one would probably take up as much space as these two put together.

Hey Zeta, anytime you want to produce a slight upscale of Infinitor with a new Cerebros and a matching Scorponok is fine by me.

BTW, all that you've heard about him is true: He is amazing.
    DSC_0074.JPG

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  5. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

im so torn on this guy. on the one hand he looks so good, and price is not too bad, especially considering the haslab version.

on the other hand, scale. he wont really fit in with the rest of my stuff, so will need his own display area. he definitely looks good enough to warrant it.

i kind of wish some of the panels in robot mode had more sculpted detail instead of being sort of flattish. would definitely sell the illusion of scale a bit more. dunno whether to pull the trigger or wait for an oversized KO, especially since a lot of KO factories have apparently been shut down.

6. Dead End14

Dead End14 Well-Known Member

You can make a diorama just for him. Standing on a metal globe, with spaceships flying around him. One Quintesson ship. You can have Shockwave's command center being destroyed under his hand.

But yeah he doesn't fit in with the rest.

• Like Like x 1
  7. octobotimus

octobotimus Plastic Criminal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At this point the Haslab’s price shouldn’t be considered crazy. This guys $400. That is pretty darn close to Hasbro’s at half the size. Both have ups and downs, this one definitely having a more clean bot mode, but come on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mykltron

Mykltron Well-Known Member

I removed the middle tabs, the ones between the hooks and the end that goes in the sphere. That makes it much easier.

Yeah, it's common. It's what happens if they aren't tucked in properly in bot mode so you can thank the assembly for that. I did the hot water trick on the horn and some of the spikes, it works well.

I'd rather have something that looks good, it's as simple as that. Nothing will be in scale so it's the way it looks that counts for me.

I took a good look at the Haslab pics last night and the more I look the more disappointing I find it:
    - The blocky waist;
    - The lower legs that are as wide as his chest;
    - The wings are full of gaps;
    - The wings are piled on top of each other instead of fanning out;
    - The head looks wrong;
    - The arms are the wrong shape;
    - There's a panel of spikes attached to his shoulders;
    - There's another panel of spikes flapping around his back, seemingly not locked to anything;
    - He's yellow instead of orange;
    - His planet rings have loads of random spikes;
    - He has a huge backpack #BackLivesMatter;
    On the plus side:
    -The sphere of the planet is well done and the colours are great.

That's not a well-balanced list. Sure, Cell isn't perfect but he's better than that. Oh, and before anyone accuses me of nitpicking to justify not buying a figure I can't afford: I ordered the Haslab one. I severely doubt I'll keep it for long though.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Tonyshotz

Tonyshotz Well-Known Member

I agree it shouldn't be considered crazy as they are almost the same price per inch (if height and cost are all we are going by) but I take umbrage with those prices are "pretty darn close" and (Cell is) "half the size" because the numbers don't appear to back that up.

Cell - 17.75" tall according to showZ site (17.72")
    hasbro - 27" tall
    9.25" difference
    hasbro is 34.25% larger

cell - $400
    hasbro - $575
    $175 difference
    hasbro is 30.43% more expensive

Cell - $22.53 per inch
    hasbro - $21.29 per inch

• Like Like x 1
  10. Craigmcgowan1984

Craigmcgowan1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except it's not $400 it's half that, even the 2nd batch coming in November is only $220, anyone who bought in at that 400 price hike was done.

• Like Like x 1
  11. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    Not my photo

upload_2020-7-5_7-35-46.jpeg

• Like Like x 16
  12. Tonyshotz

Is that true, second batch will be $220? Is that from ShowZ? I preordered the Nov reissue from TCP figuring it was only $20 more than the overseas sellers.

13. 4249david

4249david Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's £230 at Tfs-Express.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    Wow! That's kickaft!

I can't decide if Cybertron is too small, because Unicron can barely fit both feet on top, or if it's perfect because it makes Unicron impossibly, horrifyingly enormous by comparison.

~L~

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tonyshotz

Interesting it shows $230 US dollars as well + $110 shipping for a $340 total. Still a pretty good saving over the $400-420 at the big US Etailors. Anyone in the US use TFs Express? Did it go well? It's not a place I've ever used before.
    I'd prefer to use ShowZ but I hate not knowing the final price.

16. Rich33

Rich33 Well-Known Member

I would also factor in plastic quality and durability.

If Cell was made of hasbro mainline plastics, my copy would have cracks and stress marks all over - even tho i am very careful with my figures, i do like to transform them and repose them. Cell is made of very durable plastics - not too hard and brittle, not too soft, and the softer parts like horns and spikes can easily be returned to shape if bent. Figure durability is important to me and i was quite impressed.

Its true that we wont know until released if there is a problem, but i would be very fearful of long term life/usage with haslabs version if they make a figure of this size with their mainline plastics, unless they make it very thick (correct me if wrong but didnt their mainline trypticon have a tolerance issue on a ratchet joint, leg maybe, and it just chewed itself up because the plastic couldnt cope).

17. Tonyshotz

Absolutely, there are lots of other factors that should be considered but the OP that I quoted there was only referencing the height vs cost so I wanted to keep the numbers apples to apples.

I do remember something funky with Trypticons knees but afaik the other titans have been free from widespread QC issues (apologies if I'm mistaken, just going off memory here). There is no question in my mind that Cell will have higher quality materials all around but I think Hasbro is also capable of making a decent quality figure at this size. Obviously this all just speculation and we'll have to wait for reviews on the hasbro version for confirmation either way.

18. Mykltron

Mykltron Well-Known Member

Being 34% taller doesn't make him 34% bigger. If you increase all dimensions equally the volume goes up exponentially, and that's a lot more plastic. Think of the volumes of a 1cm cube compared to a 2cm cube. The volume is 8x greater.

Edit: I've just seen your reply above.

• Like Like x 2
  19. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

Yeah there's more than just height when it comes to working out a figure's "value".. quality, aesthetics all come into it. The price per inch of both is within a 5% tolerance (although I'd argue that's a terrible metric and price per volume or price per mass would be better) and when factoring in the other things such as looks, posability, quality, it would appear that zeta is a much better value proposition.

Based on reading this thread and your pretty compelling arguments, I think I might just buy the £230 one, I've not had much experience in 3P toys but am under the assumption that as long as they're in good condition, they retain value well.

I'm not sure what I like more, the Unicron standing on Cybertron picture or your Predaking in front of boobs signature.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 4249david

4249david Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    They have quite a parity between the Chinese site and the UK site on price, usually because of taking account of the value added tax they pay at import, plus shipping the stock to the UK.

I've bought from them a number of times with no problems, all UK stock. I registered with the Chinese page a couple of days ago for a copy of FT Sovereign M, as the UK stock had just sold out. I had no concerns about doing so, based on my previous experiences with the company (I've also bought a few 'in stock' items from their 'in stock' website Omegalock). As always, YMMV.

• Like Like x 1