Zeta Toys ZV-02 Core Star / 1Studio Cell (G1 Unicron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by foxracing, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Phrawst

Phrawst Well-Known Member

I just want this guy to get made. Was kind of the last big figure I wanted so this was a great surprise out of nowhere.. and then it got yanked away.. maybe? Hope it still comes out.

• Like Like x 3
  2. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The reason that neither side does it is multi-part...
    -The current way these third party companies operate is by omitting a ton of process steps during engineering and manufacture that Hasbro and any other toy company MUST do. Such as breakage tests, ensuring sharp edges are made of soft plastic, and inordinate amounts of QC. TFC Hercules could afford to deliver toys with broken on arrival ratchet joints and replace them in the next batch... Can you imagine that in a mainline toy? (I mean sure, Neca does it, and does NOT replace them afterwards, but they are a quite different can of worms... :D )
    -Hasbro or any licensing company would request a majority of the profit as their own. Why do you think, after all these years -close to a decade - smaller companies continue to rip off Games Workshop products and sell space marines, daemons and eldar under different name instead of asking for a license? It would not be worth it for them, they would lose a ton of the profit.
    -These companies would need to find proper distribution for their products via stores and retailers since I doubt "shipped from china on order" would be an acceptable policy for Hasbro. That's even more of the profits that goes and is shared with the distributors and shipping companies.

No, there is a pretty big reason why none of these companies ever asked the owner of the intellectual property... Money. It all comes down to that. You might say these are "devoted fans" but I say they aren't any more devoted than Aaron Archer or John Warden is, and while they definitely like Transformers, they are not manufacturing these toys out of the goodness of their hearts - neither does Hasbro. They are making them to make a profit, and simply, there is less to be made if more hands are in the pot.

Why is it too hard to understand that as someone who has been collecting TFs for most of my life and cried when Optimus Prime died in the 1986 movie, I WANT a giant Unicron toy and would like for it to be made?
    And I want the company who kept TFs alive through thick and thin (TFs almost died as a franchise for good in 1991 if it wasn't for Hasbro EU/UK) to make it, not someone who is using the design and character without any rights to it. Also purely on an aesthetical level I prefer WFC Unicron due to the more robust shape and far more greebles and details. I abhor blank panels... horror vacuuii or how is that called? ;) 

• Like Like x 4
  3. PwrdOff

PwrdOff Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well whatever you think of the ethics of 3P toys, what you're suggesting would actually just be straight up stealing, and just holding a copyright doesn't quite empower you to do that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh that's why the Iron Sky people did not advertise their movies by saying "Oh we also made Star Wreck in the Pirkinning!"
    Not that it would have been a good tactic. They had very good CGI but just as terrible humor and overblown plot that goes nowhere as Iron Sky.

• Like Like x 2
  5. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    I’m sorry I’m just coming in after a day or two, I’m seeing posts about cancellation? Is this confirmed or still speculation?

• Like Like x 1
  6. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the info... I looked them up and still can find the toy pics on 4chan. Guess the mouse's long arms do not reach that far... ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  7. Banatine

Banatine Well-Known Member

Ok, I am going to enter dangerous territory and ACTUALLY ask a question directly related to Core Star now!

Does anybody else find his symmetrical chest odd? I mean, based on the engineering we saw, core star does have two pairs of chest plates, but clearly there is a need for a distinct ‘left’ and ‘right’ plate. Same thing for the skirt armour.

I don’t DISLIKE it. Just seemed like an odd choice that, given the meticulous detail of the piece everywhere else, that they didn’t just, y’know, move a circle around on those two bits?

• Like Like x 5
  8. Ryuu

Ryuu It is Looooord!

Ya I noticed but I didn't mind that it had it

• Like Like x 1
  9. captain america

captain america Well-Known Member

It's only mentioned countless times in the thread by me and several other people who have pointed it out as an easily fixable error. Of course now that Core Star has been supernova'd by Hasbro's legal team, it's a lot like Monday morning quarterbacking, isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  10. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Moderator

Someone allegedly (I use that word because it's a picture of a phone text I can't confirm or deny...not to say he's making it up) showed a Zeta text a few pages back that said it's possibly aborted or abandoned at this point according to Zeta.

Still up in the air I suppose at this point.

• Like Like x 5
  11. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No speculation zone: Zeta is backing down, period. Their own words, current actions, etc. We seem to forget one thing: 3rd parties form other 3rd parties in the blink of an eye.

Don't like X-Transbots? No problem! Keith's Fantasy Club to the rescue!
    MMC not getting the job done for you? OcularMax is on it's way!
    And so on, and so on, and so on.

Zeta can also SELL their design to another company who's willing to go ahead and produce the figure. If you think Omega Supreme wasn't known or wasn't in the works when Fans Toys, DX9, and Wei Jiang made theirs...you're being told lies. They decided to strike while the iron was hot and BOOM, three Masterpieces to choose from. Has/Tak decided "Eh, Siege is good enough. Works for both if they want it bad enough. Here you go."

Don't panic, don't speculate, let HasLab ride this wave out, regardless of getting funded or no. Zeta's Unicron, in some form or another, will see the light of day. I'm not an insider, I just have experience from watching this kind of thing. Remember how FT backed down when Takara-Tomy unveiled their MP-13 Soundwave? Guess what? FT is now planning on releasing theirs after all these years. Modified and changed to some degree, but it's apparently back on the books and looking for release in the near future.

Zeta might have lost this particular fight (though I don't see it as such) but they're not gone, nor is this figure. It'll be quite a thing to see this play out. I think we're all going to be surprised how much ado about nothing this really is.

• Like Like x 8
  12. TransGoJoBot

TransGoJoBot Stop-Motion Animator - Graf-X Motion

I appreciate your point of view. I guess my point was more that if Hasbro changed how things are done, it could be viewed very differently. I agree that what you said is how much of it is done TODAY, but the point of my post was to suggest a new way for Hasbro, and to give them an operating model as an example.

One point I do disagree on it regarding the requirement of QA/Testing/Distribution. Licensing the use of the right to make a product, does not automatically give the risk to the people giving the license. If they were making products AS HASBRO, that would be totally different. For example, Disney would not be held responsible if a Star Wars toy made by Hasbro did not meet those guidelines. Disney may choose to use another company in the future, but they would not be directly responsible for it. Hasbro, as the company producing the figures would have to absorb that risk.

Again, I know its a pipe dream and hypothetical. I still believe there is could be a way to take advantage of 3rd Party company’s skill and resources without adding risk to their own business by making it “Legal” for 3rd Parties to license their IP.

Appreciate the feedback, BB Shockwave.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DINOBOTT

DINOBOTT Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I took the statement (IF it really was zeta) as if haslab unicron was going to abort due to lack of interest.

• Like Like x 1
  14. corduroy

corduroy Well-Known Member

the block is hot.

• Like Like x 2
  15. st.ranger

st.ranger Emperor of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Problem with HasLab Unicron is, it is not Unicron from 1986 movie, but this one is.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Big Hache

Big Hache EVIL! Pure and simple from the 8th Dimension!

News Credits:
    I don't think Hasbro is interested in that business model, at least historically they have not been.

As an example, for a brief period Hasbro was offering licenses for Shapeways stores of their IP. Models had to be submitted for review, and for Transformers specifically, models absolutely could not change from one form to another.

Sure Shapeways is a different operating model but I think it does show a mindset at Hasbro. I'm also not sure there has been a licensed party that has made a transforming figure under Hasbro. I wouldn't count botcon repaints.

• Like Like x 1
  17. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is exactly what they will do if they cannot produce it themselves, the figure was way to far into production to just completely vanish. Weijiang has produced figures this large with their Omega and Jinbao might even oversize it slightly if they get it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

Hasbro should just acquire/purchase/call it what you like at the end of the next business day Fans Toys and Zeta. Would cost Hasbro pennies on the dollar and then they would be able to produce the best Transformers.

• Like Like x 2
  19. PwrdOff

PwrdOff Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hasbro already has more than enough resources to produce everything currently being made by 3P companies and more. After all these companies don't actually own anything as their designs are copyright-infringing to begin with and thus have no legal protection from being copied by someone else, and Hasbro could easily hire their designers or contract their factories. However, simple economics dictate that Hasbro doesn't want to produce the range of products that 3P are putting out because they would inevitably cannibalize their own market that way, instead they prefer to leak out new products slowly and milk that IP for all that it's worth. If anything, all the competition from these 3P companies are the only reason that Hasbro is doing as much with their high end lines in the first place. If it wasn't for the success of 3P showing just how much disposable income that TF fans really had and were to willing to blow on extravagant items, would they have ever considered putting out a Unicron?

• Like Like x 3
  20. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Looks like Core Star has to go into hiding for a while. :( 

ZetaUniWalldo.jpg

• Like Like x 43