Zeta Toys Unicron ZV-02 Core Star

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by foxracing, Jul 22, 2019.

1. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watching that video is a serious selling point AGAINST buying. What a mess.

• Like Like x 3
  2. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

Unless you don’t own any 40cm+ combiners and/or citybots, I think you almost have to place this in a legends-type of collection to give it a sense of belonging (whereas the Haslab will most likely have enough presence to work as a standalone piece in one’s collection). Perhaps Zeta’s yet to reveal how this is gonna ‘fit in’ (e.g. including some figurines, reveal of a new legends ‘“minus” line, a diorama, future accesories etc.).

Right now I’m a bit scared by the pricetag: 3P items of this size shouldn’t be so cheap. I’ve never owned a Zeta toy, but I’ve heard/read that their plastic isn’t great. With Haslab I get the feeling that they’re going for a significantly higher quality plastic - or denser at the least - compared to their mainline (to appeal to the higher end collectors I reckon). But at the price of $250 (give or take) I am not get my hopes up that Zeta is gonna follow suit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter

I have all the combiners and there isn't anything to worry about with the plastic quality, it's perfectly fine. The 1st run of TW sect had some issue but the box set was much better.

• Like Like x 3
  4. jazz1914

jazz1914 moonbase survivor

Hats off to you Zeta... Hats off! :buttrock 

• Like Like x 4
  5. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Here's my thing about Unicron: no matter what size it is, it will be orders of magnitude too small. So might as well make it leader size so a person can display and manipulate it without much trouble.

Both Unicrons are too big to consider.

• Like Like x 4
  6. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

I’m an MP collector only. Considering there will never been an MP scaled Unicron, the difference between 20” or 30” becomes absolutely irrelevant — Unicron isn’t going to be in scale regardless. If I can accept Unicron being only 5” taller than Constructor I can accept him being 5” smaller.

• Like Like x 15
  7. foobot333

foobot333 Well-Known Member

DX9 Gabriel (Omega Supreme) was $250 for me, that badass is my current centerpiece, he's amazing. Looks great, feels great, and built like a tank (pun intended). Personally I wouldn't go any higher than $275 for a third party offering. At $300 or more, I would seriously consider mp-44, a second haslab, or banking the money.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hear what y’all are saying, but by the logic of “he won’t be in scale anyway” then why can’t he just be 5 inches tall?

It’s not unreasonable to want your city bots a little step above Combiners and a Unicron a little step above them to at least put them in “Bots < Combiners < City < Unicron” order.

• Like Like x 16
  9. foobot333

foobot333 Well-Known Member

Can't tell if you are considering buying both, or just buying core star and throwing shade at haslab. Lol.

I unfortunately (or fortunately?) have a few big guys already with Fort Max, a coupla 1st and 3rd party Devastators, upgraded Victorion, Gabriel, plus a bunch of the supersized Pacific Rim robots. So Core Star may bother the crap out of me if he's the runt of the litter. But I'm definitely going to preorder.

Still, I am hoping to get his bigger Haslab brother if funded... to keep all the bullies in check.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *yawn* Still going with the size debate? The dead horse is now a pile of mush and bone fragments and yet you guys just won't stop beating it.

• Like Like x 9
  11. RickyLeeSTF

RickyLeeSTF Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’d love it if there was a 5” version of this toy released as well. That’d be an engineering marvel.

• Like Like x 5
  12. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Does it see into me clearly? or darkly?

News Credits:
    Feel free to not join in, if it bothers you.

• Like Like x 6
  13. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    tenor (7).gif

You wouldn't be buying a very early resin test shot anyway. That'd be rather silly.

No wonder Fanstoys stopped sending test shots for review.

• Like Like x 10
  14. blake

blake Well-Known Member

People that talk about the scale and size of plastic toys reminds me of people that talk about the weather because they have nothing better to add to a conversation then the obvious.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Bruticus88

Bruticus88 Bruticus devastate Devastator! TFW2005 Supporter

+100 on this statement right here. Unicron is going to be massively out of scale no matter what... so what is 5" inches (12.7 cm) +/- one way or the other. I'm more interested in how much better the Zeta Uni looks and how much better designed/engineered he is... actual die-cast metal joints.

For the "scale-scurred" collectors... you can pair Zeta's with Legends size bots to help... but it won't be perfect... but neither will HasTak's.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Red2

Red2 Well-Known Member

How do you feel about peeps who leave passive aggressive comments?

As for Unicron never scaling with anything. My preference would be what @Turbine027 said. If only a few inches taller it would be nice for their to be a hierarchy.

That way he could hang with the rest of the collection.

I’m buying him regardless. But I’ll be hoping for a ridiculous OSKO.

• Like Like x 4
  17. DINOBOTT

DINOBOTT Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I agree that the height shouldn't matter but it does bother me a bit. Maybe its because this unicron is so close to perfect...at over 24" nothing would ever tempt me again.

• Like Like x 3
  18. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And yet Hasbro/TT’s isn’t a mess of panels flying off and parts that require brute force to move.

I’m not a 3P guy but I can fully acknowledge a good 3P piece. This isn’t one by the looks of that video. What is does appear to have going for it is price and less greebling.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HanDy

HanDy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just watched both videos. Zeta wins in Robot mode and transformation and Haslab in planet mode and size (aka scale) in my humble opinion..

That said the way the panels folds in the Haslab one are the work of a lazy designer, its more of a shellformer than a transformer.

Plus i don't have the space neither the money to grab that one so, Zeta i'm waiting for you right here.

• Like Like x 8
  20. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's a TEST SHOT. Let's all say it together - TEST SHOT.

As is the Hasbro one (in a way) - if panels come off that one when you transform it, do you really think they wouldn't edit that out of their promos? For all we know stuff falls off of it too, no way in hell they are going to be honest about it.

But again, it doesn't matter at this point, because they are both TEST SHOTS. At least zeta respects fans enough to show the whole gory process and realizes the majority of us know what perils come with a test shot.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 13