Zeta Toys EX10 Spacetron (Astrotrain)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by williammmw, Jun 12, 2020.

1. yiyahow

yiyahow Well-Known Member

I would still like the white version, along with my Chigurh, since the toy deco is just different enough to seem like distinctive, if related characters. This was always closer to the toy anyway, at least then we could have a variant amongst the other Astrotrains.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SunBlack

SunBlack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Train mode is my preferred.
    Shuttle mode reminds me of transportation captain.
    Robot mode is....weird

• Like Like x 1
  3. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Their stuff is heavy and covered in paint, lately their figures are prone to break or lack waist swivel... I have some of their best bots (which are beautiful) and they are not better than my other transformers and I am including TFC, KFC, GT / TFM and UT into the mix.

"for some reason seem to have based the alt modes off the crappy ones of the G1 toy"

I am so glad that their Blitzwing is nothing like that, they actually took inspiration from real vehicles instead of the ridiculous g1 alt-modes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Trikeboy

Trikeboy Well-Known Member

It is usual that triple changers have to sacrifice one mode to make the others work, but, you are stupid to make the robot mode look like crap. If I was buying for alt modes, this would be quite good. This is no competition for Fans Toys Thomas in robot mode though.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was never meant to be competition for Thomas. This is a ~5 year old toy, just ZetaToys dusting off their Toyworld back catalogue for a little extra pocket change. The toy pre-dated the 3P MP boom, and is more Classics/Generations in styling.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I've had the Toyworld version of this figure for a few years, and I think it's fairly good. Yeah, it's a bit dated in terms of design, but it seems like a win-win for 1) Zeta to earn a bit of money and 2) people to get this mold that really wanted it but missed out on it the first time.

I think the figure was fine, but flawed, even on the day that it was released. I just took mine off the shelf and fiddled with it. I find the build quality a bit disappointing, but the ToyWorld version was fairly standard for 3P build quality at the time. Even at the time, however, I was baffled with Toyworld's decision to put the wings on metal rails, with nothing but friction holding the wings up. Even fresh out of the box, that friction was pretty much nonexistent. If you so much as stand him up, gravity will pull the wings down a few inches. I'm really hoping the Zeta version will fix the problem so that the wings tab in somewhere and stay up in robot mode.

I truly think the figure actually looks pretty good, even today. I still think the train mode looks pretty darn good, and is my favorite mode. Train mode becomes spectacular if you have the Reprolabels. The shuttle mode is the weakest of the modes, but it still looks more like a space shuttle than, say, G1 Astrotrain, and it does a pretty good job hiding the train kibble. And, I think the robot mode looks really cool! This mold wasn't going for G1 toy accuracy or cartoon accuracy. For better or worse, 3P at the time was more about putting their unique take on a character with visual inspiration from various sources (G1 toy, G1 cartoon, IDW comics, etc.), and every company was doing their own scale.

In my opinion, if you've never experienced this mold before, or if you really love Astrotrain...uh....it's really up to you if you get the Zeta version. If it's relatively inexpensive (like their Infinitor release, Ford), you really have nothing to lose. You'll get a dated but otherwise decent figure. I think it depends on what you think of the way the figure looks. If you like the way this figure looks in pictures, then I say go for it.

On the other hand, if you look at these photos and think it looks hideous, then this isn't one of those situations where the figure has some hidden charm or ingenious transformation that redeems its cosmetic appearance. The articulation is below-average. The transformation certainly isn't the fiddliest, or the most over-engineered transformation I've played with in a 3P figure, but it sometimes feels like I'm transforming a Gundam model kit. A lot of very-thin pieces and panels that pop off.

If you're insisting that you get the best Astrotrain toy possible, then you should probably wait for FansToys' Thomas. But if you want just any Astrotrain toy to pass the time, then Spacetron seems like a good deal. In my opinion, none of the (released) 3P Astrotrains look all that great, but this also means that I don't think Spacetron looks that much worse than the other 3P Astrotrains that have been released. Thus, if Ford's pricing is anything to go by, Spacetron might soon be the cheapest of the non-Legends 3P Astrotrains out there.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Well-Known Member

Nice shuttle mode. Sadly, that's about it.

8. Gokai Tahu

Gokai Tahu Emotionally compromised

The toy colors make the figure appealing in the same way a 50's monster movie is. It's not good persay but it's charming. This new deco is just desperate

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I own the OG run of this mold and I own Earthrise Astrotrain. Don’t waste your money on Zeta’s, for all its faults, Earthrise is light years ahead of this (since it’s also like five years more recent in engineering as well).

10. octobotimus

octobotimus Please, do tell me how much I hate things

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it was the same size I would, but this guy at least works with MP’s...

11. Whomps

Whomps Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Zeta Toys EX10 Spacetron (Astrotrain)
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately it's not exactly the prettiest. And the lack of bulk is a huge turn off as well

12. Ichibaru

Ichibaru Supreme Commander of Pork

And regret it every step of the way... :D 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    uhm.....no. Not at all, in ANY way, shape, or form. The Geewun toy works as well with MPs as much as this does.

• Like Like x 1
  14. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

Does it? 22cm is kind of short.

15. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And the earthrise guy scales better?

More than Earthrise astrotrain, yes. That after all is what I was quoting.

16. bearytrek

bearytrek Unicron Backer #1

News Credits:
    at least they managed to hide the shuttle thrusters in train mode

17. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

That's Astrotrain's signature train look, you know. :D 

18. FiveThousand

FiveThousand Well-Known Member

Not bad honestly. Who's he combining with? Acree?

19. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    For a MP collection? Yeah, just as well, in fact better because it actually resembles Astrotrain in all three modes for better or worse. TW/ Zeta looks ok in Shuttle mode, passable in train mode, and trash in robot mode for MP or Classics. I mean if you want it, go for it. No judgement. I’m just putting out there as someone who owns both that Earthrise is better in ALMOST every way. Construction, representation, and execution. Unless you want something over engineered that vaguely represents the character in question, in which case you do you.

20. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’m not arguing against your point on earthrise astrotrain, I’m simply saying, the zeta one being bigger at all Makes him work with MP’s better, even if he looks bad (which he totally does). If there was an OS ko of him I would buy him instead, but as it stands, either this guy or dx9’s works just fine, and this guy atm seems to be cheaper.