Zero Punctuation - War for Cybertron

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Fit For natalie, Aug 25, 2010.

1. An Army of Bees

An Army of Bees WTF@TFW Podcast Editor Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Zero. Punctuation.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Foster, that is a good explanation and I can completely see your point of view. The frustrating feeling of trying to explain to someone who has pre-judged anything, much less a beloved fiction, is enough to make anyone resign from such efforts. I appreciate your genuine response without trying to scapegoat me as just a nerd, which is what irks me about a lot of posters in threads such as this one.

I think when someone does that, they aren't just resigned to letting the detractors think whatever they want, they actually feel obliged to act like they are one of the detractors (ironically, on a Transformers fan forum). I think it only reasonable they should step back, think about what they're saying, and understand how hypocritical and disingenuous it is to do so. Glibly referring to my someone else's rebuttal to a detractor's fallacious argument as "nerd rage" is insulting and goes well beyond just resigning to let that person think what they want and not dragging out the soapbox.

We're supposed to be among fellow fans here, after all - yet how many times have you seen someone attacked on these boards, or made a mockery of, because of the fandom that brought us all here in the first place?

Honestly, I realize what many people from "the outside" think, but I don't come here for that. I come here to discuss these things in at least a somewhat respectful tone.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

The point is that mocking stuff is his schtick. I don't fully expect everyone who watches it to get that going in, but it is pretty clear from what the guy complains about that it's supposed to be funny. Whether or not you do find it funny is a subjective thing and you're more than welcome to your opinion on such matters.

There's also humour to be found in people being upset by something so bloody inconsequential as a comedy game review. Agreeing with, laughing along with or simply enjoying the fallout of any rage inducing trivial non-opinion over the internet is certainly no basis to start throwing around "one true fan" styled brow beatings.

May I kindly introduce you to the movie forum? You're gonna have a field day in there.

4. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

News Credits:
    he's saying the only reason transformers exist is to make toys

he's also saying that milkshakes are like transformers (so can they fight eachother?)

so his logic is like saying trees are made for air and not to be cut down

5. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Doesn't mean its a good way to review things.

6. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    lolwut?

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    They do.

Uh, okay.

wh-whut?

Dude, they're entertainement first, reviews second. He lives in Austrailia where games come out WEEKS after they're released in the US. Nobody watches his reviews for the actual review. The actual review is a device to give him something to actually talk about, while he fast speech, amusing little doodles and swear-filled tangents are what you're REALLY there for.

To actually quote Yahtzee: "[you] couldn't have missed the point more if [you] aimed in the wrong direction and the point was in different country..."

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Since I don't know many people who play video games who don't know a ton about Transformers Yahtzee provided that perspective of what's the game like if you weren't already into Transformers. Does it stand well as just a game?

I also find rather funny at just how well he could nail Transformers nerd rage without even being a Transformers fan. We have been fairly nice in this topic but just look at how fans will rage if you say the wrong thing about G1, the live action movies, dare to mention the wrong thing about Skids and Mudflap, some toy, or all the other things that will send your fellow fan on the war path.

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    First off, I'm just curious - how old are you? Also, are you a student or regularly employed?

The reason I ask is because I find that, at least personally, my responsibilities as a husband and a father have really overshadowed my interest in engaging in discussion about anything nerdy, transformers or not. Echoing Foster's "choose your battles" sentiment, I've, personally, found that addressing issues in my life like "focus on this task to continue gainful employment" or "focus on this task to ensure child's life" become much more worthy of mental attention than "focus on this issue on an internet message board devoted to one of your many favorite hobbies." Ultimately, as you get older, enough real life responsibilities become such a focus that time and attention to issues like, say, trying to correct somebody about which continuity War For Cybertron falls into, become very, very insignificant. It's at that point, I've found, that most nerds kinda look back at the uphill battle they've just climbed through (in regards to real life tasks & goals) that, if they're devoted to their lives, they find themselves looking back at the message board battles and going "I devoted myself to that?" :lol 

...because, ultimately, realistically, in the grand scheme of peoples' real lives, devoting serious mental time and attention to Transformers is useless. They serve as a de-stresser and maybe as a source of limited income, but unless you're a Hasbro employee, it's hard to believe that they'd be so important to anyone's life.

...I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you that I'll have a laugh at somebody who is so very, very seriously devoted to correcting, discussing or dissecting facts about a science fiction genre on the internet. Why? Because I've done it myself more than enough times and ultimately realized how utterly useless it was - neither party gains some sort of spiritual enlightenment or enhanced understanding if they have a differing opinion - they just walk away more entrenched in their opinions. I'll tell you what both parties DO walk away with, though - wasted time that could have been spent doing laundry, cleaning up after baby, fixing up resume, getting X-and-Y task at work done, etc.

...and, after a while, those other tasks become, mostly by default, the most important things in your life. After enough very serious, critical shit, you begin to look at the simple shit - Kirk vs. Picard, G1 vs. movieverse, etc. - and realizing how ultimately unhelpful it was to argue/dissect/converse with ANYONE about ANY of it. I think the humor (i.e., the "in b4 nerd rage" posts) largely come from having watched the go-rounds countless times from the sidelines, all while engaging in important real-life shit. At a certain point, the discussing and arguing becomes much like a play, with different posters playing the same parts and the plot remaining largely the same. At that point, the argument largely becomes a farce and, as such, it's pretty funny, because, unlike actors who can shrug and say "Okay, you got me, I was acting out a part," the new poster that has come in to accept the role of the G1 advocate ABSOLUTELY BELIEVES what he is posting and has NO CLUE that he is 100% filling in a role that has been played over almost as many times as Hamlet has been performed. And, I'm sorry, but that's really, really funny for the same reason that, say, the Badger Badger Badger video becomes funny, then unfunny, then kinda stupid funny again - repetition ad nausueum eventually becomes kinda ridiculous after a while. The only way to break those actors out of those roles is, ultimately, for them to experience enough real life to realize that, oh, hey, pouring over and dissecting this stuff really WASN'T worth all that time.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This is my favourite part:

And yet people get all stressed over them, anyway. Perfectly stated. And I'm not talking about when someone can't find a certain figure, or when they have to sell them but don't want to, I mean like serious stress over non-tangible issues.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

29, partially employed (had my hours cut back to 30/week because of the economy). Before the time and pay cutback, I worked between 50 and 60 hours a week. I have other interests too such as weightlifting, cooking, music, and martial arts that I spend some time on. I don't have a lot of responsibilities other than paying my bills and taking care of my cat.

Sounds like it's been a mighty struggle for you, which I sympathize with.

I'll admit to being serious about Transformers in the sense that I care about it and enjoy promoting it and talking about the virtues of it, which I feel are many. I don't go around preaching to people but through their relationships with me, many people have become fans of the property. I think that a de-stresser is just about one of the most important things you can have, especially considering how tough your life in particular has been. If it's a fiction with values beyond entertainment, such as philosophy and morality, that's a plus. What I find most valuable about Transformers is its ability to link generations in a fun common interest. I have young cousins who I bonded with over Transformers. I showed them the 86 movie, and instantly we were relating over the story and characters and it was deeply nostalgic and cool for those little guys.

I'm not one of those guys. I really couldn't care less about the nitpicky stuff, the continuity bickering, the encyclopedic trivial knowledge. In fact, to me, Transformers is about Optimus, Megatron, and the differences between their factions in relation to how they regard human beings. That's it. Nothing too complicated, but therein lies a potent dynamic for understanding a lot of things - that is, if you are able to suspend disbelief and take it on face value.

I get that it's funny, but that's more making fun of individuals who bicker over trivialities than defending the validity of the brand/story itself. I do respond seriously when someone maligns Transformers as a whole, but I don't really go beyond that. I respond that way because I do believe in the value of the franchise for reasons stated above. If I fail to convince the individual, that's not going to keep me up nights. I just like to try and get people to open up their minds to it.

It's good we had this talk.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Right? Maybe I should have rephrased that as "They're supposed to serve as a destresser..."

I see where you're coming from Leadfoot, but I honestly think that you'll find, as real life priorities take away more and more free time, enthusiasm for (and need for discussion about) your genre fiction interests may die down a bit. Maybe they won't! I dunno, I'm not you. I just know that, as we've gotten older, most of my buddies and I - who are Dads, company men and husbands and, above all, nyerrrrds! - end up kinda shrugging and smiling about our favorite genre fiction subjects and their various errata instead of dissecting them. I've got plenty of buddies who trash on me for liking my robits, but to me, it's no longer a case of defending the integrity of Transformers as a viable connection to my youth, a piece of awesome fiction, etc - it's a case of "do I really want to spend time explaining my side of all this to them?" Personally, no, I don't, because, for all intents and purposes, it becomes - at least, in my opinion - very unimportant to spend time and mental energy explaining it. At a certain point, you may end up reaching a kinda mental equilibirum where, as long as the same somebody isn't on a daily basis saying "Yer shit's ******ed" and genuinely meaning it, you're cool with enjoying transformers in your own way without an active need to project that enjoyment onto others.

The way I see it, nerdism is relative - everybody's got their thing. If the Dr. Who nerd calls me a robit nerd, that's cool with me, because I know he's still a Dr. Who nerd...but more importantly, I don't care what genre he likes, because I appreciate and dig that he likes a similar bulked genre that I do - science fiction. And if someone calls me out on nerdragin', that's cool, because I probably did nerdrage...but it's what we do, because all of us have certain things particular to our genre that set us off. The important - and I think takeaway - point is that most of us have reached a kind of mental equilibrium where being called on our outbursts is just part & parcel of the whole nerd ideal, and we're cool with that. Standing up to anyone that calls us on it is...just too mentally taxing and, in my opinion, ultimately useless.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  13. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

This thread metamorphosed from the standard dredge (unrelated to the review itself) into the best thread I've read in at least the past month, if not longer. Thanks for taking time out of your life to post as much as you have, OWAT.

14. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I understand Yahtzee's shtick. I've watched him for a long time. I was actually WAITING for him to review this game. XD
    For the most part, I've heard a lot of these complaints elsewhere, but Yahtzee hyperbolizes them and puts them into a digestable format that's entertaining. I understand he's not a fan of Transformers, and that he won't "get" a lot of the stuff. This is made by the fans, for the fans, but it's still an accesible game for the most part.

15. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Wow... just wow. Let me go ahead and sum it up.

Transformers: War For Cybertron review;
    Giant clunky robots set against a giant clunky backgroud makes for "Meh" video game.

also there are Transformers in it.

If that is enough for you to raise it to the pinnicles of gaming, don't expect a lot of company.

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Because obviously the reason Transformers exist is because it's a masterpiece of modern popular culture, right? Our society would not be the same without it. Discrimination would be rife in the streets. Might makes right would be the only law! Life expectancy reduced to a mere 40! Suicides left and right! Diseases, plagues, daily murders, the streets piled high with bodies! WHO KNOWS WHAT HORRORS WE WOULD BE EXPERIENCING WITHOUT THE GENIUS THAT IS TRANSFORMERS?!?!?!!1?

Oh wait, yeah, it is to sell toys. My mistake

What the hell kind of video were you watching?

lolwut

Insane Troll Logic - Television Tropes & Idioms