Minor/Repaint: Zeg's Dream Bruticus Project

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ZYXD, Jun 8, 2019.

?

Which Onslaught / Blast Off combination would look best?

1. CW Onslaught / PW Blast Off

31.4%
  2. CW Onslaught / UW Blast Off

2.9%
  3. UW Onslaught / UW Blast Off

14.3%
  4. UW Onslaught / PW Blast Off

51.4%
  1. ZYXD

ZYXD Shattered Glass Sharkticon

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE CURRENT STATUS UPDATE

So, it's pretty safe to say that a lot of fans have their own preferences as to what they want out of a figure. Be it Hasbro's toy accuracy or Takara Tomy's cartoon accuracy, what I'm looking for is just whichever versions of each figure bring out their own details the most.
    Considering how radical the differences are between the toy and show depictions of Bruticus and the Combaticons, I thought these would make for a great study. Looking at each figure in the Unite Warriors UW-07 set and their combined form, I set up a to-do list for bringing out the best of each figure:
    • Bruticus (or all figures) Use Toyhax Reprolabels or other decals to bring back any G1 toy sticker details that have not been molded
      • Onslaught:
        • Buy the Combiner Wars version and spruce up its details to Unite Warriors quality
          • Spray paint all Bruticus parts silver
          • Paint all hubcaps silver
          • Bring back any black details from the G1 toy with either black or gunmetal paint
          • Purchase TCW-01 US version to bring back the G1 toy's leg transformation
        • Blast Off
          • Buy the Prime Wars version, compare PW Blast Off on CW Onslaught with UW Blast Off and Onslaught
        • Brawl
          • Leave as is, maybe buy Reprolabels or Combiner Wars version's head
        • Swindle
          • Buy the Combiner Wars version and apply its head, front torso, thighs, and toes to the Unite Warriors version
          • If the Combiner Wars version is used instead, paint codpiece purple and hubcaps silver
        • Vortex
          • If affordable, buy the Combiner Wars version and paint its thighs and combiner peg to their proper colors, and find a way to install a four-blade rotor
    Now, on to DAY 1. I've already got a PW Blast Off and a CW Onslaught in my possession along with the UW set, meaning I have plenty of opportunities to customize and compare each one.

First thing's first was, as mentioned, adding enough details to the CW mold to make it look on par with Takara's high-end releases (Onslaught, Hot Spot, Dolrailer, Megaempress, etc.). While the most obvious necessary change is to paint the hubcaps, the silver paint I plan to use hasn't arrived yet, so I thought I'd kill time with the next best thing:

As you might notice by comparing CW Onslaught directly with the G1 toy, some of the black pieces such as the head and thighs are painted gunmetal while others aren't painted at all. Luckily, it seems that Mr. Hobby Mecha Grey (in other words, the gunmetal color used in Gundam Markers,) bear an uncanny resemblance to Hasbro's choice in paint.

As such, I applied this paint to Onslaught's hands, the pistons on his forearms (as per UW tradition), and as another coat on the head for the hell of it. Considering I hand-painted the stuff rather than applying it directly with the marker, the luster on these applications is astounding to see in person, and yet still identical to Hasbro's! The changes are subtle so far, but I'm already quite proud of the results.

20190606_190257687_iOS.jpg
    20190606_190011302_iOS.jpg 20190606_190523787_iOS.jpg

Next step is to have the "silver" parts repainted into proper silver, both by painting the hubcaps with a paint pen and by spray-painting the larger pieces. I'll provide pictures once that step finally comes underway. Till then, I've already got Bruticus' head soaking in rubbing alcohol to get that gunmetal paint off. That piece aside, I'll provide a comparison of these two couples in combined mode and set up a poll above. Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated. Stay tuned!

20190606_184742791_iOS.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Constructor

Constructor Behold my true form!

My vote is UW Onslaught with PW Blast off and swap the chestplates of the Bruticuses.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ZYXD

Didn't expect that opinion, but I do like where you're going with that! It's a lot easier said than done though; the chest plate's connected via rotary pin in a very awkward position, so removing it and having to putting it back on would be a nightmare.
    The only other way swapping would be possible is to remove the pin connecting the chest plate to the neck, which in and of itself requires unpinning the wings of the chest plate, which is way too much pin pushing for me to wanna deal with.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    Take the torso apart via the screws and you can swap the whole assemblies

• Like Like x 3
  5. 50percentJoe

50percentJoe Well-Known Member

Personally I added more green to the combined mode of mine to make him seem more separate from the mostly blue robot mode for Onslaught by himself.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. TheAmazingBrave

TheAmazingBrave 吾輩は猫である!!!

A shame no one designed replacement forearm parts to make Onslaught's truck mode look more like a... well, a truck. I attempted to create some 3D printed parts that would snap on over the forearms, but they were too expensive to produce and I gave up.

7. ZYXD

It wouldn't be too hard of an installation either. The elbow and forearm are attached to the bicep merely through a mushroom peg, so anybody who can mimic those two parts with the truck front should be able to get away with it no problem.

8. ZYXD

Okay, DAY 2.
    Before I do anything else with Onslaught, I wanted to replace all the prototype grey plastic with legitimate silver. Like I said earlier, it's a chore to remove (and reinsert) all the pins necessary to isolate the grey parts from the blue. So, what I did was remove the one pin that holds the blue piece between the chest plate and codpiece, and the rest was masked by wrapping the entire figure in newspaper. After a priming and waiting a few hours, I began applying the base coat: a glossy black Tamiya spray paint to give the silver a smooth surface to reflect off of. Of course, that won't be till this coat dries in a few days.
    20190609_143921959_iOS.jpg 20190609_143928422_iOS.jpg
    In the meantime, I'm in the middle of doing the reverse with the head piece. I didn't have a lot of 91% isopropyl alcohol left, but a solution between that and 50% started eating at the paint in no time. I'll be checking the solution every couple days to see how much of the paint I can remove before finally painting it silver with a fresh start.
    20190609_164431456_iOS.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. ankokushin

ankokushin Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. ankokushin

ankokushin Well-Known Member

My version...90%

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheAmazingBrave

TheAmazingBrave 吾輩は猫である!!!

Heck, you don't even have to go that far. Pop off the tire and there are screws underneath that let you take off the entire outer shell of the forearm so you don't have to remake that and the elbow joint. Don't even have to replace the shoulder part either. Just make a really good truck nose.

I mean, that's a solution, but it just looks like a modified Rosenbauer Panther to me.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  12. ZYXD

DAY 16
    Uhh... oops? Sorry for the long wait. Most of it was just waiting for the TDW kit to come in and the paint to dry. For some reason, the silver I used flaked in some spots, meaning I had to start over from scratch. At the end of the day, I didn't even use half of what I painted (that being the codpiece and chestplate being replaced by the TDW kit), so the rest was up to physically altering the figure.

After taking apart Onslaught's legs and installing the new joints, something didn't seem totally right. As you can see below, the joint's connections are at an distinguishable angle, meaning the knee can barely fit into the slot on the front as it looks like it's supposed to. Furthermore, the small tab usually meant to keep Onslaught's legs pegged in for vehicle mode get in the way of a straight stance as well.

Are these all normal circumstances that happen to everybody's copy of this kit? Or have I screwed up somewhere in this kit's installation? Any answers in response would help a lot.
    20190623_211316497_iOS.jpg 20190623_211434284_iOS.jpg

So, for a status update, it'd be unfair of me to not show off how the project's looking so far. That said, apart from the aforementioned technical faults, I'd say Onslaught may well be just about finished!
    20190623_212233839_iOS.jpg
    20190623_212257569_iOS.jpg 20190623_212331464_iOS.jpg
    Going between reference pictures, the goal became more along the lines of adapting Onslaught's G1 toy the same way Unite Warriors Dolrailer (Mega-Octane) adapted both his identical toy and cartoon incarnations, so I looked to each of those to follow suit. With that in mind, I made the following changes:
    • Paint hubcaps, midriff, and chest plate silver
    • Paint hands, forearm pistons, head, front bumper, TDW thighs, and inside of chestpiece gunmetal
    I might provide some better shots at a later date after I figure out what's up with those legs, but until then, have a preview of the combined mode. Enjoy!
    20190623_211819829_iOS.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  13. VictoryStarSaber

VictoryStarSaber Well-Known Member

I can tell you that the issue in the first picture is caused by the tab on the black base piece (the piece circled in red in my photo) being too long. I own the Defensor Kit and had to cut the tab down in order to fit. The tabs on the figure’s legs do prevent the combined legs from staying in straight, so I was forced to cut them off as well. E4B64C47-BF4B-492B-A8B0-BA0B8161972F.jpeg

14. ZYXD

Thanks for the feedback! I used a model kit clipper to trim the black pegs down a few millimeters while a hobby knife wiped the tabs clean off. Works like a dream now!

15. ZYXD

Currently in the middle of working on the next update. I finally got my hands on a CW Swindle to mess around with, but just as recently the unthinkable happened.

Those prongs keeping the front chestplate together, that the instructions warn you will snap off if you separate the kit incorrectly? Yeah, one of those snapped and now the pieces won't stick together anymore. The thing is I wasn't taking them apart when it happened. Hell, I wasn't even awake. The combined mode was on display on my shelf for a while, and one morning I came to see it with the snapped peg nowhere to be found.

Anyway, I have no idea if I'd be eligible for any sort of replacement or refund, nor do I have any idea where to actually get a hold on TDW's customer service if they have it. If anybody knows how I can contact them and if I have any chances of getting this mess resolved, I'd love to know.

20190709_141127795_iOS.jpg
    (P.S. You might notice there's some curved ridged between the two pieces. I sanded those myself hoping that it would ease the amount of pressure between them. For whatever reason, the two halves of the chest plate were always very tightly squished together, so I feel that may be why they broke.)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

why not just remove them entirely at this point and stick in some small neodymium magnets in there. You can find em at Michael's easily enough on the cheap.

17. ZYXD

Not a bad idea. I'll have to give that a shot and see how it turns out!

18. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

there is also option of using lego of some kind. plenty of things in lego that would make a nice connection, but i would call that your cheap dirty option, magnets would probably work better and look nicer (and be easier)

19. Digger

Digger Cracker-Man

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah I also voted UWO with PWBO. I think the blue is much nicer. Although swapping out the heads from CWO to him could look nice.

20. Reaper6

Reaper6 Twilight_Phantom

While I agree the blue is much nicer I think CW Onslaught otherwise has the superior paint job.