Zack Snyder expresses interest in the Indian myth Mahabharata

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Jul 3, 2020.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

This could mean something regarding a film, or is nothing more than an opinion. For now it's 50-50. But there has been a lot of dispute over this already.

For those who do not know, the Mahabharata is an Indian religious saga about a civil war that ensued between a clan of divine warriors, the heroic Pandavas and their jealous rivals the Kauravas. While righteousness prevails, it is not without bitter bloodshed and grayed morality.

IF this means something, then in my opinion Snyder should only produce this and have an all/mostly-Indian crew.

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Nothing about this says he's interested in making a movie about it. It just says he's a fan of it. I wouldn't put anything more to it than that.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    What could go wrong, douchey entitled American male tackles another culture’s epic.... Sounds fine.

Knowing how stupid Snyder is he probably thinks it’s “Ancient Aliens.”

• Like Like x 4
  4. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Doubt western audiences will get behind something that they can't even pronounce easily.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Pharoid

News Credits:
    This summer Zach Snyder brings you The Mahabharata Super Alien War! Starring Henry Cavill as Arjuna Howard Roark, the archer, fighting off a massive Alien invasion! See Gal Gadot as Draupadi Dominique Francon as she battles in a thong and school-girl outfit! Can the rugged western individualists save India from this epic alien invasion!!! This summer!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Get ready to have your myth shit upon, Indians!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I don't think that's entirely fair. I think most audiences would go and see a Ben-Hur esque scale movie about a grand legend from Indian mythology. I don't deny some streamlining would be needed since ancient myth is often dense with characters and locations and some can be spread over years.

• Like Like x 2
  8. rattrap007

News Credits:
    I'm just saying it is the name. It needs to roll off the tongue easily. Not saying it wouldn't work on a technical level. Just saying most people will look at that word, struggle to even pronounce it, and give up. I don't care much for Hobbit/LotR because the names are hard for me keep track of at times. Yet Star Wars they are simpler names that sound like what i am used to. I gravitate to that. Yes LotR is very popular and amazing. It is with some properties like that where you have complex names can turn people off.

9. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Banned

Tell that to the legion of weebs consuming all things Japanese

• Like Like x 1
  10. rattrap007

News Credits:
    I'm talking about non nerds

11. Pharoid

News Credits:
    You’re talking about fairly simplistic stories that are engineered to be consumed by modern audiences and consumed for profit and merchandise.... this ain’t that.

This is miles away from a Ben-Hur epic it’s sprawling insanely complex story and even the characters rarely fall into a heroic story that a westerner would recognize, let alone identify with. Hollywood would edit it down to the battle of (at? not sure) Kurukshetra and you wouldn’t even understand what the fuck was going on. Unless they butcher the story and westernize it into something unrecognizable.

12. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

This is going to be terrible. Can't wait to see this failure. XD

I mean, provided if the movie is ever made. I don't think it's anything more than a social media post.

Snyder's unable of handling anything more sophisticated than Frank Miller's brainfarts.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Banned

No, I'm not talking content at all. I'm only challenging the assertion that Western audiences will reject things they can't pronounce when there are legions of Westerners enthusiastically consuming and butchering Japanese every day

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    He can't make a movie out of it as Indian gods are depicted with blue skin and Snyder has shown how much he hates color.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Banned

Doctor Manhattan's giant blue cock in your face says your joke is bad and you should feel bad.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'm looking at its synopsis on Wikipedia (reference of champions, I know) and you're not kidding: this thing is huuuuuuge. With that in mind my skim so far does indicate that the whole thing isn't just the epic with all the blood, battle, romance, tragedy and shit but there appear to be whole chapters or books covering civil and military ethics, people's justice, economic theory and trade and statecraft. Among other things. Equal parts mythological morality tale and reference tome.

Okay I'll concede this particular myth might be over-reaching but you know what. For everyone who bitches like hell about a lack of originality - which is stupid and I think homogeneity is more accurate a term - well, a big mythology tale from places like India or Africa shot and staged with the same effort they have to Ben-Hur or Lord of the Rings could be just the ticket.

In fact, can we have a crack at doing a big adaptation of The Seven Voyages of Sinbad? That guy got up to some fuckin' shit!

• Like Like x 3
  17. rattrap007

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    movies about me? Great idea!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

The fun part is that it's 100% sure that Snyder completely missed and misunderstood everything in the source text except for the epic facepunching. You can bet on it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Pharoid

News Credits:
    This made me laugh out loud. And I love some Frank Miller stuff, I still think Born Again is amazing. Frank’s a little off the rails later in life.

I would take a Seven Voyages of Sinbad in a second. Yeah I am vaguely familiar of the Mahabharata but only a very few things. It’s to my Western mind a great proxy for India itself it’s huge, colorful, introspective and complex. I definitely think you could pull the battle at Kurukshetra into a pretty exciting and engaging little story but I definitely don’t think that‘s a job for an American.

Speaking of Seven Voyages of Sinbad I’d take a Jason and the Argonauts in a second. Why can’t that genre be executed well anymore? I’d love a ancient world sailing from island to island story fighting skeletons and Greek myths.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just to make it even more weird, have it be a spinoff of his character from Jingle All the Way. He's just getting out of prison for the events in that film and goes on adventures. If the Turboman in the film is the MMPR, now Turboman is in its Beast Mophers reboot of the show. BTW: Booster still sucks.

• Like Like x 1