Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist : Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Sylent, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

The release date is set for August 20th.

During SDCC, I saw this game demoed at the Konami booth. I've been waiting for YEARS for a game like this. I just hope that you don't start out with crappy, ancient cards from old sets and have to build up your deck by playing useless matches against scrub opponents. That issue plagued the other portable (Gameboy, NDS, etc.) games. I loved YgoPro for the Android, which gave you access to all current cards, but they kept getting shut down for obvious reasons, so I stopped playing.

It's too bad that this game didn't happen when I was still playing the physical card game. It would have been cool to play competitively while still actively involved in the YGO community. I stopped playing when Shaddolls were the big thing. My one claim to fame is topping a Regional tournament with a pure Lightsworn deck back when Gladiator Beasts and Dark Armed Dragon decks were huge. I kept the mat as my trophy and the deck. All cards in that deck were blinged out to their highest rarity, but I sold just about all of my other cards.

• Like Like x 1
  2. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Unfortunately I don’t have a Switch and because my main reason for wanting one (Pokémon Sword) is currently off the table thanks to Game Freak’s bombshells 2 months ago (#BringBackNationalDex), I currently have no intention on getting one.

However, I am currently busy with Duel Links on my phone. If anyone wants to add me on there my username is PrfctCell and my Duelist ID is 816-439-993.

3. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Excellent, I've been looking for a chance to recreate my childhood memories of drawing literally the worst combination of cards at the start :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I doubt it lets you play some of the old broken card combos that use to exist.

5. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

Exodia! Obliterate!

Every time I get a new Yu-Gi-Oh video game, the first thing is for me is to get the exodia cards asap.

But I don't use them online. I stick with Dinosaur, machine and zombie decks.

6. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

You know this game has been around for ages, right? This is an updated version of course, but the game originally came out like four years ago. Third time I'll be buying this game actually, but looking forward to it as I haven't played for a while and will likely get more use from it on the Switch anyway.

7. MetalRyde

If anyone is interested, my switch ID is in my signature.

I can hold my own but I'm expecting my win/lose ratio to be mostly on the lose area.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  8. MetalRyde

For those who want to purchase Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution on Switch, if you purchase it physically at Best Buy you get a $10 gift card.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sylent

I pre-ordered mine from Gamestop. I wonder if they'll match that deal with a gift card of their own.

10. MetalRyde

A tip I found that most likely everyone knows but can serve as a reminder for Link Evolution:

If you are looking for certain monster types or spell and trap cards, in campaign mode (in example) I'm looking for machine cards, I select the battle of Joey vs. Bandit Keith, immediately surrender and you'll get 1 card from his card pool and anywhere from 600 to 900 points. It's tedious but you get more points in 10 minutes surrendering at the start of a duel than finishing a duel.

Have fun.

11. Sylent

I haven't played yet, but are you given a decent deck to start out with or do you have to build it up by dueling scrubs like in the GB, DS and 3DS games? Those games were fun, but I hated starting out with crappy, beatdown decks from nearly 20 years ago.

12. MetalRyde

It starts you off with a "Basic Starter Deck" and the only cards available at start to make a warrior or machine deck.

Unless you make a deck based on attributes. Then there are enough for a dark, fire, earth or wind deck.

Good amount for a synchro, Xyz or pendulum deck.

That tip is good. In less than 10 minutes I got 20000 points.

Remember how in the past you couldn't save a deck unless you have a least 40 cards in that deck? You can save them now even if there are less than 40 cards. It just displays a little wrench next to the name meaning you are working on it.

In single player mode, in the Yu-Gi-Oh! Series campaign, after defeating Seto Kaiba in the duel number 2, you unlock the card shop and unlock Grandpa Muto booster pack at 200 points per pack, 8 cards per pack.

More packs become available as you play the campaign.

When in the campaign, you have the choice to use the story deck or your own deck. Seemed cool at the first 3 duels but then you realize you're better off with your deck.

Update: that tip, again sorry if annoying, after doing that at least 50 or more times, the character will stop giving you reward cards.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MetalRyde

Some of the duels are a bit challenging. The others are cakewalk.

The duel against Yubel is the longest and trickiest duel I've faced.

The only way I could win was being in a cycle. I set A-Assault Core and gets sent to the GY only to have it come back to my hand and summon again while Yubel keeps drawing cards until it ran out of cards.

But it was really fun. I'm half way through the 5D's story.

Update 8-27: the final match in the 5D's series was brutal. I counted 22 tries to defeat Zone with my machine deck but those Timelords destroyed me.

Until I created my Exodia Deck with help of 3 Heart of the underdog cards. I went through my deck until I drew the last card of my whole deck. I think I only won because I used 3 Swords of revealing light cards to buy me some time.

On to Zexal.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  14. MetalRyde

Ok, I'm stuck in the Arc-V story. I can't beat Crow so I'm asking fellow Duelist if you all can advise me decks you use in the game to beat Crow and help to beat Yuri and Jack Atlas.

Beating Jack Atlas in Arc-V will unlock the final booster pack in the Arc-V series in the card shop.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  15. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
  16. Sylent

I picked this up again and started playing, but this time, seriously. I initially got turned off and bored by the long, detailed tutorials. I'm currently in the middle of GX.

Man, it reeks having to duel all of those scrub opponents for points to build up your deck. I'm just trying to get all of the staple magic and trap cards to compete with the big boys. I had to duel the Dino guy a crap ton of times just to get a few Bottomless Trap Holes. As bad as my deck is, it's 20x better than the crap choices they give you. Their syncro deck barely has any tuners in it! Also, after playing, I just learned that you can only have two Exceeds on the field at one time. That must be a new rule, or at least since I played competitively... which has been many, many years. The last time I played, Shaddolls was the big meta deck.

As it stands, I have a standard, themeless beatstick deck with Jinzo to wreck my opponent's traps and Airknight Parshath to gain card advantage. It would be nice to be able to use Monarchs, Lightsworn, Zombies or something fun... and the packs in the store keep giving me the same crap cards. I wasted so many points on Mai's packs just to get Torrential Tribute and they keep giving me garbage. It would be nice if there was a trade feature so you could dump your unusable cards for credit towards something you need just like at your local comic/card shop.

This game could have been great (like Yugioh Virtual Desktop) if it didn't start out so slow and you didn't have to build up your deck with so many long, useless duels for points.

17. Sylent

I must have missed a rule or there's a new game mechanic, but I didn't know that you could only have one XYZ or Synchro monster on the field at one time. After hours of dueling those scrubs for points to redeem for packs, I finally ditched my vanilla beatdown deck and made a decent Chaos Lightsworn deck (reminiscent of a deck that I topped a Regional with back in the day) that can special summon like crazy and flood the field with monsters. To my surprise, once I got a synchro onto the field, I was locked up... unless I wanted to sacrifice everything for a singular Link summon. Weak sauce!

18. MetalRyde

Hm. Unless there was an update, I don't remember having an issue on summoning more than 1 synchro/Xyz/link monster. I could be wrong though. I haven't played in a while.

19. Sylent

At once? My Lightsworn synchro deck is QUICK and routinely wins on turn 5 unless I open with a brick hand that doesn't mill. When I played IRL with this deck, I could bring out 3 synchros in one turn and lock my opponent down. In this game, because of Master Rule 4, it only allows me to bring out ONE synchro or XYZ at a time. Sometimes, I made mistakes that cost me games because I forgot that I can only have one on the field at a time.

I don't even use Link monsters. Too much effort for not enough power and advantage.

20. Sylent

Finished this game at 100% series and campaign complete. Once I assembled my Lightsworn Synchro deck, I pretty much steamrolled everyone except on turn 3, 5 or 7 for Yubel, who runs a deck similar to mine, and Officer 227 with that damn Goyo Guardian that I had a hard time getting off the field before it took my monsters. lol There was another opponent that used a bunch of traps that turned into monsters that was a challenge, but I got out Black Rose Dragon, nuked the field and left them helpless.

Getting some of the cards I wanted was a pain in the ass. I was looking for Starliege Paladynamo and spent almost 100,000 points and STILL didn't pull the damn card. Same with Pyramid Turtle for my Zombie deck. I spent a TON of points and didn't even pull the card. Ah well... I'm done with this game unless I start playing online.