1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

Your way to do a Hasbro Cinematic Universe?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jalen Frisby, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Jalen Frisby

Jalen Frisby BumblebeeLover

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I Love Cinematic Universes, Heck i have one on my Fanfiction.net account. But how would you do a good cinematic universe? What would your lineup be? and How to get it right.

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Start from scratch, and plan it out.

3. Sir Spookii

Sir Spookii Active Member

I know people have said they could use Agent Burns(John Cena) as a way to tie transformers to MASK and GI Joe.

If they do want to do it I just don’t know how you do it with the Bayverse since we’ve heard from Lorenzo that it’s over.

4. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    first start with transformers because of sector 7
    since sector 7 is apart of the government this is an easy way to build up a way to make mask and gi joe

5. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't do it. MASK, Visionaries and more died because peopl didn't want more of them. There is no reason to keep pushing them.

Let GI Joe die too for that matter.

6. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    also make sector 7 like shield where they have transformers,gi joe, and mask

7. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    I don't want a Hasbro Cinematic Universe. Focus on good storytelling first, even if this means standalone movies.

• Like Like x 7
  8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I would personally prefer we didn't get a Hasbro Cinematic Universe. I don't really have any attachment to their other properties, and I'd prefer Transformers movies just focus on Transformers. If they do it, I'd prefer they just make separate movies for the different franchises, and work in loose references. I wouldn't want Avengers-style team up movies, or crossovers (maybe just some brief cameos). Who knows though, maybe I'd form more of an appreciation for the idea if it happened.

Personally, I don't even think we even need a Transformers Cinematic Universe. I like the idea of a spinoff here or there, but it doesn't need to be a full-blown Marvel-style thing, with all kinds of crossovers and teamups and whatnot. It works better for Marvel because they have a whole lineup of popular characters. I'm not really sure most of the Transformers are well-known enough get standalone movies outside of Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron, and Starscream. I think a more straightforward method of storytelling works better for Transformers.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Reask

Reask Predacon

Nah not really, it didn't exactly work out well for the newest comics. I wouldn't mind one crossover with G.I. Joe and maybe Rom but everything else is just Z-list material that wouldn't be able to sell toys.

There's still plenty of material from Transformers on it's own to adapt as well.

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Your laser fire is merely making me STRONGER!

To quote the film Wargames: "The winning move is not to play."

Just because the idea of a cinematic universe worked for Marvel doesn't mean it should be applied to every franchise ever.

Hasbro even tried this concept with Unit E - probably something never heard about because it was written off before it ever got off the ground and the budget poached to keep Transformers Prime anywhere near sufficiently funded in production.

• Like Like x 4
  11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. After Marvel's universe became a success, practically every other franchise wanted their own cinematic universe. Most of them have already fallen though (or are on their way to falling though), because those franchises just don't lend themselves to that form of stroytelling. Even worse, a lot of franchises seem to be copying Marvel almost beat-for-beat. I think this is why the whole Universal Monsters universe fell though. I knew that idea was doomed when they announced someone was going to be their "Nick Fury" character. I'm not saying a monsters shared universe is a bad idea, but it just doesn't lend itself to something like The Avengers. It needed a different approach. I've really enjoyed the Warner Brothers Godzilla/Kong universe so far, because they actually do seem to be taking their own approach.

• Like Like x 1
  12. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    Well maybe not all can have a succesful Cinematic Universe but go have some spin-offs of a series can be a breath of fresh air and very creative in some cases and also it can be great for fans that want to have smaller movies with things that a big blockbuster doesn't have the time for..it's rewarding to watch as a fan.I mean if you keep it in the same series..I think crossovers are way too much for any series at one point you know..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

14. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

I'm with you. So far, I've only seen one instance of a cinematic universe working properly and a whole bunch of failures, which leads me to question the possibility of such an idea. Marvel pulled it off, but they were able to get a strong foundation going early on with the individual Avengers movies, and most of Hollywood doesn't have that level of patience and care. The MCU is the exception, not the rule. It's like when DC tried to ape the Dark Knight without understanding why it worked: you get a cargo cult-like shoddy mimicry of the original, successful, innovative product.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Your laser fire is merely making me STRONGER!

That's the core issue with Cinematic Universe - everybody wants to skip the set up and get to the point where Marvel was after the first Avengers film. This means rushing the build up solo movies and this is precisely what happened with the DC CU - sure, Wonder Woman somehow managed to not suck eggs but on the other hand you've got Superman vs Batman after only what, one Superman solo film? Supes vs Batman is supposed to be a climactic conflict between the two, not something you more or less begin a long term picture narrative! And then Suicide Squad...yeah, I don't think that one needs explaining.

Trying to use a film as a vehicle to set up other films, at the cost of the actual main film's plot is a recipe for disaster that EVERY franchise has encountered, including Marvel given Age of Ultron was more about setting up things for sequel films (Civil War mainly...and then THAT film was about setting up Black Panther more than the actual bad guy, whose fake plot to wake up the other Winter Soldiers being cast aside to instead try and make the Avengers fight each other...which they were already on the brink of doing anyway given their division over the Solvakia Accords) than what Ultron was actually trying to acomplish. Star Wars had The Last Jedi which basically finished the big reset Force Awakens started by killing off any remaining characters that mattered from the old continuity except Leia (whose actress ended up dying not long after anyway, no disrespect to Carrie Fisher of course) and Chewie (Because they aren't killing of the only remaining person who can implausibly pilot the Falcon like a god). Dark Universe was DoA because The Mummy spent so much time trying to set up Dark Universe that it forgot to give its actual plot meaningful depth. And of course, the one-two punch of AoE and TLK where they tried to set up this huge universe with names with no meaning and attempted to expand the horizions of the war...except it all just boiled down to half-baked bullshit about ripping off that Ancients Aliens program on the History Channel where everything in human history was due to alien robots who literally had no business being there - it was like the least interesting thing about the shapeshifting alien robots was the fact they were shapeshifting alien robots.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Jalen Frisby

Jalen Frisby BumblebeeLover

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I agree with you on that, See what most people.(Including myself realize) That to start a cinematic universe. You don't. not at first. Iron Man was playing it safe. they didn't focus on setting up the avengers, they were trying to make a good story, and it worked! That's what these others studios are lacking, and are missing the point of a cinematic universe.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

Exactly. They're all trying to get to the "successful Cinematic Universe" part without taking the time to set it up right - they're rushing into it half-cocked. An like Custer at Little Big Horn, it dooms them every time.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

Interesting quote from Wargames - Kevin Flynn says almost the exact same thing in "Tron Legacy", when questioned by his Son Sam about why Kevin doesn't just end his digital counterpart Clu 2.0, especially since Kevin created him-should have been easy. But, that's best discussed elsewhere. . .

I also don't want the whole cinematic universe concept applied to everything, and I remember loathing this whole, "Ah, well, it's a standalone film" mindset when directors and producers first started this trend years ago. That became an excuse for blatantly abusing continuity, good storytelling, and an excuse for passing off bad filmmaking as the opposite, and there's not many signs of this trend stopping anytime soon, or the Pavlovian response to it.

In closing, If a standalone actually improves what came before it, good -however, if so, then what does that say about what preceded it, and more so what does that say about the folks who created what preceded it, and the audience reaction to it all? Just my 2 cents. . .

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. autobotsrollout

autobotsrollout Well-Known Member

You do it with transformers as the main focus.

Optimus Prime , Bee, Jazz, Prowl, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Hound, Ratchet and Ironhide.

Grimlock and the Dinobots with with beast wars characters....

The Wreckers

Hot Rod, Ultra Magnus and the season 3 of g1 crew.

MASK would have to be redesigned .... the vehicles will be transtectors like from Jap transformers shows and will be not only can the vehicles transform into other vehicles but can also be mecha suits . Its about the only way it can work to fit in with the transformers in a cinematic universe.

GI Joe could just be the task force that earth's governments have working with the autobots that way you can have some guys like Warpath and Hound in the GI Joe movies..

• Like Like x 3
  20. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How does Hasbro make a toybox universe...

Transformers
    GI Joe
    Power Rangers

In that order. I don't think Hasbro own anything else worth pushing.

But first they need to get those individual things right.

• Like Like x 4