Your unpopular/uncommon gaming opinions.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rodimus Prime, Jul 5, 2013.

1. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

God of War "reboot" is vastly overrated. Beautiful and fun game sure, but boring as fuck in a lot of places, enemy diversity is nill, and too much "we're a movie like Metal Gear" syndrome going on.

2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mighty No. 9 is a decent game. Not flawless. But nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Doesn’t deserve the level of hate it gets.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) is my guilty pleasure game.

4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub Zero too. The levels are cool (or at least their look), and I like the music). The controls are clunky in a platform setting, but it’s not unplayable. And the cutscenes are pure cheese. It’s kinda garbage but I kinda love it.

5. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

Exactly. The game isn't that bad. I think Sonic Boom and Forces are the worst!

And SA2 is bad.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    IT'S NO USE!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Monster Hunter World > Generations Ultimate

Both are fun as heck.

8. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Final Fantasy and in fact, the whole JRPG genre as a whole are boring as hell and revolve around a single, unbalanced game mechanic.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I prefer Persona to the SMT games.

Which mechanic? :confused: 

Wasn't 8 the one that recycled half of the bosses from Megaman and Bass? Or was that 7?

10. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

"Big, open world" design leads to more boring games and is worse than most filler/padding in more linear games. It seems like 90% of your time is just spent wandering around trying to figure out something actually worthwhile/interesting to do. Kind of like trying to find something decent to watch on a major streaming service. It's just being big for the sake of being big, a ton of spectacle and little substance.

Adding "realistic" elements to mechanics usually just makes a game more boring and/or tedious. Let a game be a game.

Gaming hardware needs to focus more on making improvements and additions to input (what the player/controller can do), not just output (what the specs can do).

• Like Like x 3
  11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You're thinking of 8, but it was only 2 of the Robot Master bosses, and you've got them switched around. Rockman & Forte was released in 1998. 8 came out two years earlier, in 1996.

And it was fantastic. Unfortunately, most people will only ever get to play the PlayStation version, which was still good, but incomplete and slightly less impressive compared to the Saturn version. In a franchise where X5-X7 exist and people will defend X8 for merely not sucking, Mega Man 8 deserves to take no flak at all.

EDIT: I should be clear that X5 had the makings of a good game in there somewhere. It just wasn't finished, as it's obviously still rough around the edges. As such, it's not up to the standards of the franchise as a whole.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  12. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

The Water Temple in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is not as bad as people say.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - My favourite Final Fantasy game (and possibly favourite RPG evar) is FFVIII. I don't care for VII and not really VI much either.

Also, Dragon Quest > Final Fantasy (although that's not really a super controversial opinion, especially given the direction the latter has taken nowadays).

- I have never cared for the Sonic OVA and the Toei Sonic, and I hated how Sonic Mania panders to those styles. I prefer SEGA of America's Sonic design and personality.

Part of me wants to the Sonic series to just die. I do believe a good 3D Sonic game is possible in theory, but the current developers are incapable of making it. And also question whether Sonic as a character is really relevant/necessary any more (and that's kinda painful to admit, given that I loved the Sonic series as a child).

- I've never been interested in multiplayer and much prefer playing solo.

-Silent protagonists suck. They're not interesting to me at all and just an excuse for lazy writing in some cases. I actually think Nintendo should give Mario and Link a little more personality.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  14. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Hitchcock once said that “movies are like life with the boring parts taken out.” I think a lot of developers these days could learn a little something from that quote. Granted, it’s not a 1:1 to comparison since they are different mediums, but there’s definitely too many games out there at the moment that are as wide as an ocean but as deep as a puddle.

• Like Like x 3
  15. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    RDR2 isn’t that great of a game.

• Like Like x 3
  16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Perhaps this opinion comes from never really growing up with him, so speaking largely from an outsider's point of view, Sonic the Hedgehog games have never been "good". I mean, I played the games on rare occasions when I was at friends' homes and such, but I didn't own them myself to really get into them, so never really experienced them outside the surface glitz and glam. In recent years, with access to the games via emulation or collected editions, I can say that I don't really like the classic games all that much.

Sonic is supposed to be all about speed. That's who is is, and it's what he does. The games generally do a fantastic job of conveying that... in the first level. Outside of that, though, the general MO tends to be to punish you for that same speed. Revving up to full speed and flying off a ramp sends you careening uncontrollably into an unforeseen enemy or spike trap. Other zones have you waiting around for slow elevators or other obstacles, entirely negating your gimmick. Boss fights are generally fought in confined arenas where all you do is bounce around a bit and never really have the opportunity to cut loose on the footwork. The games are completely at odds with themselves, never really able to take full advantage of its hero's main gimmick. And that stinks.

If I'm put in the shoes of a supersonic speedster, I want to feel like he does. Confident. In control. Unstoppable. I don't want to run headfirst into a wall or skewer myself on a spiked barrier that I couldn't see a second ago because my character has the effective vision range of ten feet in front of him. I want to dodge and flip and ninja my way around the course like nothing in the world can slow me down. Mario often showcases more agility in his games, with his wall bounces and flying somersaults.

I know a lot of those limitations are due to the original hardware not really being able to keep up with him at his full clip (and to not totally run out of real estate with the massive level designs that would require), so they had to get ... creative in order to slow the pace of the game down. But it drags him down that those games are the standard to which newer entries are judged by, and it's simply outdated game design.

It's been my dream for the character for awhile that his developers would take some cues from Ubisoft, with Rayman Origins/Legends or Prince of Persia (2008) in terms of how to bring Sonic into the modern era. Those were games that understood the preservation of forward momentum. More importantly, they made you feel confident and in control, rather than being subjected to trial-and-error gameplay that had you running face-first into sudden doom.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  17. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    i said this in the general unpopular opinions, but i'm going to expand.

i don't want pokemon trainers to be voiced in the mainline games. it's perfectly fine without it. Spin-off titles are open-debate, though. I also don't want "Breath of the wild" levels of open world. they can open the open a bit, but not that much! That's why i can't bring myself to play BotW or Skyrim... TOO many choices....

lastly altogether, we need more "Series crossovers DYNASTY WARRIORS" games. Hyrule Warriors was fun (even after the creepy Link Temple that Cia made) and i'm tempted to play Fire Emblem Warriors. Now imagine "Dragon Ball: Z-Warriors" or something crazy like "Kirby Warriors!"
    You know making Kirby inhale an army squadron with a single attack would be awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  18. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

I know I am only about 9 or 10 hours into the game.. but the should have called Red Dead Redemption 2 "Riding On Horses And Chatting". Man.. there seems like an awful lot of that. I mean the scenery is pretty to look at and all, but sheesh...

19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

This is why the first Sonic Adventure was so amazing. In a world where 3D platforming had rarely been done well, and where adaptations into 3D rarely resembled their 2D originals even when they were done well, Sonic Adventure was not only a decent platformer, it also did Sonic better than the original games.

At the same time, you've got to understand the originals in their proper, contemporary context. Sonic wasn't the only platforming speedster mascot. But somehow, all of the others had the same problems you described, only worse. I'd agree that at their core, the old Sonic games weren't as good as we thought they were. But they were at least decent. They punished your speed less than Bubsy, or Skunny, or Zool, or Jazz Jackrabbit, and they weren't complete garbage like Awesome Possum. Good is relative, and among similar games, Sonic was at the top.

20. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

FPS's are overrated.

Sports games are stupid.

Atari 2600>Xbox One

The Xbox One has no reason to exist.