Your unpopular/uncommon gaming opinions.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rodimus Prime, Jul 5, 2013.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think there's another reason Kid Icarus hangs around in the memories of Nintendo fans, but it's sort of long...

Nintendo's NES era first-party platform and adventure games are very closely related, conceptually. This starts with Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda being developed simultaneously by the same team (R&D4). Miyamoto's team would come up with ideas first and then decide which game they would fit into better. Both series have continued to refer back to unused ideas from this process when making later games, well into the recent past. I think this creates a sort of "spiritual" connection between the two franchises, but there are also cases of visible cross-talk between them. For example, the pakkun flower ended up in both Super Mario Bros (piranha plant) and The Legend of Zelda (Manhandla), and the whirlwind-summoning recorder from The Legend of Zelda later turned up in Super Mario Bros 3.

Then you have oddities like the Western version of Super Mario Bros. 2, which most here probably know was initially released in Japan as Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic. However, before that, it was initially envisioned as a vertically-scrolling two player platform game (sounds vaguely like Ice Climber), starring Mario. So "Super Mario USA" really just brought the game full-circle. In the process, it brought a certain amount of exploration and item collecting into the Super Mario series, which would continue with Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World. Adventure of Link and the Star Tropics games both found ways to do the reverse, bringing platforming action to the exploration and tool-collecting formula of the Zelda games.

Metroid was developed by a different team--Nintendo R&D1, who had developed the aforementioned Ice Climber--but it wasn't created in a vacuum. Apart from the shooting-based mechanics and the sci-fi motif, the game concept is very similar to the general concept behind Zelda: explore a single, large, interconnected map in a largely non-linear manner, collecting items to become more powerful and gain access to new areas. But it also does this entirely in the format of a scrolling platformer. Intuitively, this makes Metroid a close cousin to what R&D4 had been doing.

R&D1 also developed Kid Icarus, which is considered sort of a "sister" game to Metroid, much like the first entries in Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda were sister games. Like Metroid, it is a platform game with the action based around a shooting mechanic. It also involves exploration and collecting items. However, where Metroid is a non-linear exploration-based platformer, Kid Icarus is a largely linear one. It's built around upward vertical scrolling, like R&D1's own Ice Climber. The horizontal axis "wraps around" from one side of the screen to the other like a flattened cylinder, exactly as it does in the vertical sections of Doki Doki Panic. It has currency and item shops like the Legend of Zelda.

Basically, even if Kid Icarus didn't really take off enough to become more than a cult classic, it is every bit a part of the same soup of ideas that was brewing at Nintendo during the mid-to-late 1980s. It is fundamentally tied to all of those other games that ultimately did become lasting mega-hits. And I think that makes it feel like it ought to be an important classic, even when we recognize all the little reasons it wasn't as successful and endearing.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I loved Kid Icarus for its weirdness at the time. It felt like a Zelda "climber" game.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:

It's the theme on my 2DS

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Pokémon Sword and Shield and Tokyo mirage sessions are the best switch games.... For an anal fucking...

5. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime WORLD CHAMPS! Chop on!

This seemed a lot like a Triumph quote, so allow me to "fix" it...

:p 

Well put.
    It does feel like one of Nintendo's first-party games from the era, even though I personally don't enjoy it. A nostalgia factor may play in here as well, since many people played it back then and loved it, while I never played it at all until the era of emulation, ergo I have no nostalgic connection.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:

This is actually a really long and awesome post.

Nicely said.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I don't care what people say, I love the Gamecube and the Dreamcast controller.

• Like Like x 5
  8. TheLastBlade

I mean, it’s heresy to play smash Bros now without the GameCube controller :p 

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    A Hat in Time is more enjoyable than Super Mario Odyssey.
    ….guess I'm a heretic. I love the controller but could never bother grabbing ports for newer consoles.

10. TheLastBlade

Resident evil 6 is like final fantasy 13: People will pretend that they were good, only for other people to (rightfully) think they’re high.

11. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh, I liked RE6.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheLastBlade

Well, you’re wrong.

13. vatarian

vatarian Hive Princess

Tough Shooty Boy games where you play as some random, chisel-jawed American Hero knockoff and play wargames with other Tough Shooty Boys in a mostly real-world environment that steals queues and elements shamelessly from better, more novel shooters to spice up the utter drab, drywall, woman-named-karen-cooking-mexican-food-but-she-considers-garlic-too-spicy style of their game........ Are simply not good.

They are successful....

In the same way that unseasoned bologna and the show Friends are successful.
    They are successful in the same way that Kylo Ren is popular amongst white women with daddy-issues age 18-30.
    They are successful in the same way every single country song where a man sings like a parody of an actual country singer in a satirical movie are successful.

That is to say that they are bad in every way that accounts for taste, and should not have received any sequels, or much in the way of acclaim.

• Like Like x 2
  14. UndertakerPrime

Agreed, though I could also replace RE6 in that sentence with RE5 :D 
    I despise that game. Resident Evil in name only.

I have to agree with this. Call of Duty, Counterstrike, they all look alike to me. Generic FPSs set in generic war-torn areas with little innovation or creativity. Then they follow a Madden-esque formula of charging full price every year or two for the same game with minimal improvements.

Bonus points for dissing Friends. Not sure why that show was so popular, it's not funny. Honestly, I'm not sure why Seinfeld was popular either. My wife loves it, I think it's stupid. Then again, I've concluded that everyone likes to watch something stupid; I've watched pro wrestling for 30 years, and I'm still not entirely sure why :D 

15. TheLastBlade

Oh yeah, resident evil 5 was also bad xD

16. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hug me, brother! :D 

• Like Like x 4
  17. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Counter-Strike has had 4 mainline games in 20 years, costs $15 and is one of the most influential online games in the history of the medium. The only thing it's got in common with COD is that it's a military themed FPS that people play on the internet.

18. UndertakerPrime

The funny thing is, this kinda proves my point. I guess I got Counterstrike mixed up with another ubiquitous military-themed FPS, because to me they all look alike :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  19. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Battlefield :p 

• Like Like x 3
  20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'm not a fan of the genre in the slightest, but in all fairness, games modeled after real wars are going to look a lot alike.