Your Transformers claim to fame!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusTimelord, Sep 11, 2017.

1. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Ok, I was going through back issues of the old Marvel comics, and it struck me that surely some of those kids who wrote letters or sent in art, won competitions or wanted to exchange toys, must be around today... perhaps still TF fans, perhaps even posters on this forum!

Or perhaps you have some other connection to the franchise which isn't comic-related you'd care to share? It doesn't have to be vintage either.

But Marvel UK G1 is doubtlessly the most fertile ground, as they printed a full letters page in almost all of their 332 issues. And let's not forget that the US comic also featured reader's letters every so often. Did your name appear in print in a Transformers comic? Of course, this isn't just a G1 thread, so maybe the short-lived G2 comic, or a more recent publication?

To start things off, here's the list of winners of Marvel UK's Headmasters video competition that was printed in issue 147 (the competition itself ran in #130/131). I managed to get second billing! (that's me; Richard Sargent).

TF147HMcompresults.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  2. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

I've got a picture I did in the fan art section on the G1 Shout Factory! DVD's. That's pretty cool for me.

• Like Like x 9
  3. OptimusTimelord

That is indeed pretty cool! Do you have an image of the artwork to hand?

4. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 The Machine Wars Guy

News Credits:
    At botcon 98 I asked Scot McNeil how he came up with his voices, and he explained how he came up with Rattrap's voice. After the con Unicron.com put up and audio file of his anwser.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  5. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

FB_IMG_1505139913073.jpg

• Like Like x 19
  6. OptimusTimelord

Cool!
    Very nice!

I had a commission from Paramount for the UK launch of Dark of Moon on DVD a few years ago, they wanted a Christmas card with some in-jokes, so I came up with this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 27
  7. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember seeing that when it was posted in the artwork section some time back. Such a nice piece!
    Love that Jazz is broken in half.

• Like Like x 6
  8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    You can see me walking in front of the camera in the dealer's room and seated towards the front of a panel room in the Botcon featurette on the old Rhino G1 DVD set.

9. OptimusTimelord

Thanks! Really enjoyed working on it, even though it was a tight deadline.
    Ha ha, that's great! You should post a screen grab :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Awesome job dude! Is that color pencil and marker?

Hahaha that's great. I love that wallpaper

• Like Like x 1
  11. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

When I used to play Minecraft, one of the folks I ran into on one of the servers I played on was one of the Special Effects guys on Dark of the Moon. While he understandably couldn't reveal much (what with the movie coming out the following summer... this was the fall of the preceding year) apparently one of the production nicknames for the Driller was "Colossus" That's what I remember him saying, anyway

• Like Like x 1
  12. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

Photoshop. Was going for a marker feel though. Was a pain to scan as it was four 44 x 68. I don't like the pic (never been good with robots) but I had a lot of fun making it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OptimusTimelord

Thanks bud! :thumb 
    Interesting, I sometimes wonder if the guys who work on the Bay movies are fans of the franchise or just dudes doing a job. If I'd worked on them I'd have been too tempted to throw in G1 easter eggs :lol 
    I'm surprised to read it's Photoshop, your textures are very realistic (I thought they were colour pencil, too). All in all a good piece of work. How come only Grimlock has an insignia though?

• Like Like x 2
  14. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

I had originally intended to add them in photoshop....but got lazy

15. mcluskyism

mcluskyism Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you still have the VHS you won? If so, do you know if it was the same as the regular retail release?

There was pondering on the TMUK forum if it was different as the retail wasn't thought to be released until 1988.

16. OptimusTimelord

Obviously I didn't need to buy the retail release, so I never compared them, but I do remember being very surprised that it didn't resemble any of the regular TF VHS tapes in the shops. There was no plastic case, just a plain cardboard slip, with no artwork or, as far as I recall, even any text. I think there was a sticker on the cassette itself with some copyright guff on it.

Like all my old VHS tapes, it went to the tip when the DVD releases came along. Shame really, because I used to have some home-taped UK tv broadcasts with Timmy Mallet larking around before and after, and I kinda wish I'd kept them. To this day I vividly remember the end of Heavy Metal War. Mallet: "Brrrrrilliant! I just love the Transformers!" Strange puppet kid character next to him: "B-but he said he's going to rise again!" :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  17. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

Great idea for a thread!
    Funnily enough, it kinda reminds me of the Weird Al song "Lame Claim to Fame" :D 
    "I swear Jack Nicholson looked right at me at a Lakers game..." :lol 

At Botcon 2000 I was talking to John Moschitta at the Friday night dinner and mentioned his appearance in the Disneyland 30th anniversary special that aired around '84 or so. Then the next day at his panel he said "yeah I've been in a lot of stuff. Yesterday someone asked me about the Disneyland 30th anniversary show" and I knew he was talking about me :D 

A Botcon video on a Rhino G1 DVD didn't catch me...but did catch my cousin from Norway walking by in the background, who came there with me ;) 

The Charticon 2013 album on this site has a few pics of me with robo_rob of Radio Free Cybertron. At the same con I won the last item at the private charity auction, a TRU MP Soundwave. It was fun because not only was it a good cause, but I made everyone go "ooooh" with my bid :lol  (I offered a lot more than retail, but whatever)

• Like Like x 1
  18. OptimusTimelord

Nice :thumb 

I think the only time I ever met anyone to do with TF was UK artist Lee Sullivan (just posted this in the UK thread, but I'll add it here too). He was at a signing in Redgates in Sheffield and drew Galvatron for me :) 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  19. we_are_forest

we_are_forest I blame Powerglide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Interesting to see that there was a winner from Hucknall on the list. He is also my namesake (Butler).

20. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    A few things from my old transformers website from college were printed in Toyfare magazine. One of which was the Transformers Timeline where I combined G1, BW, and BM with a hint of G1 marvel comic.