Your thoughts on freedom of creativity

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GrimlockPrime19, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Yellow Shirted Kid

Yellow Shirted Kid Just an Average Police Officer

YouTube:
    But Hound loved violence. Bulkhead's main thing was being a clumsy gentle giant.

2. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    That is a surefire recipe for disaster.

What if you worked hard in establishing your business, whatever it is, you hire a manager who then proceeds to turn it to shit because you gave him free reign. In the end it's your mess to fix and have to rebuild your reputation.

No, what's done is done and can't be undone, however recovering from a disaster can take years to repair, or worst case, completely shut you down.
    In the end, as with any business, it's about making money. And when it comes to consumer products you want repeat business.

It took Marvel almost a decade to recover from the god awful Spider-Clone saga, they tried everything to make sense of that shit story, but just kept digging a deeper grave for themselves. It wasn't until the movies that they course corrected. Then they promptly ruined the character again.

Before the Nolan trilogy Darren Aronofsky pitched his idea of a homeless Bruce Wayne who befriended mechanic Alfred. I mean, why not just create your own character with that as a basis instead of forcing your vision on something that's already well established. Could've been cool, could've been shit.

• Like Like x 4
  3. The Roman Empire1977

The Roman Empire1977 I succeeded where Megatron failed

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I only like "g1" designed based characters (ut, idw, and wfc figures ) because I love 90s japanese mecha animes. Besides that, g1 is a prettty shit cartoon imo.

4. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

What they meant, I think, is primarily that creators shouldn't be beholden to previous continuities and portrayals of characters or concepts in previous projects.

TFA was recognizably Transformers but it turned a lot of things on it's head - Prime was a commanding rank but no longer the Supreme Commander, resulting in lots of bots being "Primes"; Optimus was an inexperienced washout who nonetheless was recognizably Optimus - a noble and compassionate bot who would lay down his life for the greater good; the familiar Seekers are all clones of Starscream; there is no Matrix of Leadership, though the Allspark would be reassembled to somewhat resemble it toward the end of the show's run. etc. We have two different "Earth is Unicron" stories, one that runs with the "robot gods" story typical to the franchise, but then we have IDW Unicron who isn't a god, trapped inside Earth, or anything of the sort, but rather an engine of destruction fueled by the rage of an alien whose world and people were destroyed by Cybertronian imperialism.

Creators should absolutely have the freedom to decide what's what in their respective projects, without worrying about how previous ones have handled it, unless those works are directly connected somehow. For example, Beast Wars was billed as a sequel to G1 from inception - at first Optimus and Megatron were both the original versions of the characters but with beast modes, but evolved into separate characters by the time the show came out. As a series, Beast Wars was clearly a very...Broad strokes sequel to G1. It wasn't explicitly clear which continuity it was apart of, the cartoon or the Marvel comic, but it acted with respect to G1. Of course, it wasn't making any changes to old characters, since the focus was on an entirely new cast, but the point stands. Animated as a series had nothing to do with G1, so it had more freedom to do it's own thing.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    As if that would matter in any of the films, if they wanted Bulkhead to be a gun-nut he'd just be a gun-nut, to hell with his established character.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    And Animated was cancelled and none of the principal ideas stuck.
    I'm not saying you can't have freedom, I'm saying I'm the boss at Hasbro that asks "pitch me your idea" and if it's in line with how I want the property handled, we're good to go. If reinvention is part of my strategy, we're ok. If you tell me you want to turn Optimus into a female I'm going to say use Elita-One instead, if you say no then I'm not going with your idea just because it's "fresh, new and different".

Edit: if TF had been DOA, never flourished, never had a chance to build a foundation, I'd be more open to constant reboots and reinterpretation. Since that wasn't the case then my feelings are we can build from that and move forward, not backwards.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  7. The Roman Empire1977

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    What do you mean none of the principles stuck? tfa is one of the better written- plot focused with minor filler- cartoons out there. Or is it because its not g1 again?

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    What's hilarious is that Animated starts by showing 'old war' footage which is literally clips from the G1 episode War Dawn.

9. The Roman Empire1977

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Its a fun reference. What Ratchet conveyed would be perfectly the same if they didn't so that argument is flawed, sorry.

10. OCDChad

OCDChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind any of the new stuff as long as it's new characters. If they are going to use G1 cartoon names I want the characters to look like the G1 cartoon.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    Sorry, I feel that what I posted came off differently than I intended - I actually am in agreement with you and I love Animated, personally I think it was the last truly great Transformers series because it goes in a new direction while respecting what came before and what makes Transformers great. I just found it amusing you brought up how Animated isn't G1 since it actually has G1 animation in it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    I struggle to come up with a show that's been anything close to Animated in terms of quality and effort, while I enjoyed RID2015 it's not on the level of Animated and Cyberverse definitely isn't.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lola

Lola Soap

it was retconned that black Nick Fury is original Nick Fury's son.

Also in recent time people tend to prefer to have their characters not change certain aspects ( Thou we already had that before, "Hugh Jackman is too tall for Wolverine", "James Bond isn't blond", "Superman should only be played by an american", "Why is Raz Al Ghul played by Liam Nelson", "Don't cast chinese actors for japanese roles" etc. ) we started to feel a lack of original characters and more the change of old characters wich sometimes come from the point of inclusion wich lead to a lot of people being unsatisfied with the lack of original minority characters.

ergo why there wasn't that much of a backlash for black Nick Fury (great actor), Heimdall, and the ancient one (China's fault), in comparison to more recent changes. but I don't want to go too deep into it, as this is more about Transformers but let's just say if you want to make a different character, make your own.

The Riddler looks so weird in The Batman but I'll wait for the movie, even if right now I and many people are disappointed with the design.

They mean that it didn't carry over to the rest of the franchise. Many hate Menasor but he stuck and carried over to other places even if they don't like it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2021
  14. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

The first thought that came to mind is:

Only Zuul.jpg

• Like Like x 2