Your Thoughts on Alt Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Fortress_Wise, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Riiiggghhht... You're just too lazy to use all them underscores... :thumb  :lol 

And yes, those underscores are a ROYAL PAIN!!! :lol 

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll be getting Prime, as I haven't passed up a new-mold Alt yet. (and technically haven't passed up any remolds or repaints yet. I'm guessing (or at least hoping) that Alt. Optimus will be better in person, much like Alt. Prowl was for me.

3. bluestreak1701

bluestreak1701 Well-Known Member

I really dig the alt mode, although I agree with what some have said about it looking very 'cheap'. If the BT mold comes out I will invest in that instead as with a higher price point I'd imagine a fair amount of the bodywork will be die cast. (please, not mix n match like overdrive)

As for the bot itself I have no problem with the fact that it is 'Optimus Prime' - between the other toy and comic incarnations I don't think that it is that much of a deviation from the norm. Reminds me of g2 / armada prime a lot. He has all the essential components, Blue stocky legs, head and fists, red arms and chest. In fact the chest is growing on me as it seem very practical to have a heavily armoured front section rather than a vulnerable pair of windows with a matrix behind. (BTW, anyone think we'll get a matrix?)

Complaints - anything from the arms down. The forearms are too slim to fit with the rest of the bulky prime - he is supposed to be the Autobots greatest warrior after all. I also dislike the black seats hanging from the back of the arms. The shoulders do look odd and I totally agree with what someone else said about if they were just a little smaller they'd look 100% better. Lastly, the gun - far too small for OP. Will still buy the figure though.

4. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Ugly as hell

5. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

Personally I don't like that its Prime: but not for the 'Usual' reason which seems to be "a figure for Prime should be more special/G1-like/Semi", One of the things I liked about Alternators was it was a line that was giving us high quality figures of Characters who were mostly somewhat ignored.

I liked having a major line devoid of Optimus and Megatron.... of course I really should have realised that Takara's utter obsession with the leaders from each series would eventaully strike here too.

6. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

should make a fine Trailbreaker if they do it right. As Prime, it would only look confusing next to a 20th Prime.

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think he is pretty good. Nothing spectacular, yet not remotely bad either. I will get it the first time i see it.

8. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena CyberCon is #1! Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it's an OK toy. The vehicle and head sculpts are fantastic. The rest of the 'bot mode seems a bit, meh. 6 out of 10 from me.

9. Steeljaw

Steeljaw Owner of TF Rebellion.com

People bitched at the proto's of skids, cause everyone thought he was ironhide. I think the problem is that certain charactor's are held in higher esteem then others, so we want perfection as we move up the ladder. Optimus Prime being the leader has a standard to uphold though he doesn't always (E-prime).
    Skids turned out to be an awesome mold, fun to transform and looked great. Yea it's an ugly car but they did a damn good job with it.

Optimus ... I'll admit at first I was a little peeved. But in all honosty Alternators doesn't have a storyline, so there's nothing to mess up there, The ram itself is an awesome truck, and the vehicle mode of this figure looks great.
    After seeing the in package pics, I'd buy it just for the vehicle mode. I haven't yet bought an Alternator that I didn't like, some I like more then others, so I think Prime will make a fine addition.
    Plus he's the first step in the alternators line branching out. Ok they're making a truck. It sold well, now maybe they'll make other trucks, a chevy Blazer as Trailbreaker, or a Hummer as Megatron, maybe they;ll move on to planes soon. The line is finally evolving. We were told when Alt/BT first started, i think 6 molds were planed and a repaint for each mold. Now we've got over 20 planned fgures including repaints.

10. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Hopefully by the time he hits the shelves in wide saturation, we'll have some solid idea of who the remold is actually going to be. I do like the figure, but until I see a photoshoot and/or review of the properly-transformed toy, I don't like it enough to buy it twice.

Personally, I'd like to see it in silver and done up as Motormaster. This mold even sports the big vertical shoulders that the Motormaster toy has.

Dude, you don't even like Transformers.

11. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really REALLY ***REALLY*** hate the legs. There were several ways they could've designed it such that some of the mass of the flatbed folds away.

However based on the pics we've seen, they didn't. Almost like they did it to cut design time or engineering costs so that Hasbro could sell it for the same price as a standard Alt and then say 'hey we're giving you a good deal'.

Other than that..... it's okay. I know the Ram SRT10 is politcally incorrect, but it's still cool.

12. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I'll be waiting for the repaint/remold.

13. Fortress_Wise

Fortress_Wise Head of Dalyst

(My first post was short cos it was nighttime)
    I am looking forward to him as i've been impressed by my first and currently only alternator Swindle, but i think before Takara cancelled him, their move to make him Ginrai was smart, and i bet if hasbro had their optimus prme lookalike some of you wouldn't mind one bit. :redface: And you say Trailbreaker but then Trailbreaker would have the shoulders. :redface2: 

14. Blastwave

Blastwave Well-Known Member

Completely unnecessary

15. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I want them to repaint it to black so I can have him lead my Deception alt army. If my brother don't get him I will and call him Ironhide. MP Prime should forever be the leader for Blt/Alt Autobots. Period.

16. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Well, if all goes well, and it is only rumored at being cancelled BTA-04 may be a black Dodge Ram. If so, I may (if I can afford to do so) get an extra one IF it is released and do either a Motormaster or Trailbreaker custom. I have three Optimus Prime's pre-ordered, one for in box, one for display and one for a planned Ironhide custom (simple head swap with Skids and graphics).

17. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I like it alot. My only gripe is the uncertain articulation.

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Like every other alternator, I'm getting it for sure. LOVE LOVE LOVE real cars to Transformers.

19. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Haven't we gone over all this in every thread where there's a new photograph of him? That one with him and the transmutate wasn't even that long ago.

20. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

I think Prime's just dandy. He makes a fine leader for the Autobots, and less of an unfair advantage than MP Prime, who looks like he could rip Shockwave (the de facto leader, I guess) to shreds.

Would Trailbreaker have made more sense? Absolutely. Am I upset that he's Prime? Not at all. I'll be getting him and enjoying him.