Your preferred review preferences?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndroidAnchovy, May 6, 2020.

?

What toy review camera setup do you tend to enjoy the most?

1. First-Person (Just hands/figure)

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Third -Person (Can see reviewer and figure)

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. AndroidAnchovy

AndroidAnchovy Dorque Extraordinaire

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Howdy!

So. I like toys and their reviews. Probably not alone about that. I want to create some and I have a decent and mostly solid setup and ides, but I am genuinely curious as to what the main likes and dislikes from the general public tend to be. People are different, but sometimes I just don't understand the hate for one side or another.

I'm just looking for the things that people prefer in a video and what they don't, things like what formats are easier for people to pay attention to, if they prefer to see the reviewer or prefer close ups and voice overs, if you actually at all pay attention to the transformation and/or don't want to see it at all until you get the figure.

Beyond my interest in making my own reviews, I'm genuinely curious about this overall. For instance, I very much enjoy Thew, Jobby, Peaugh, EmGo, BaltMatrix, Vangelus (When he does them! HA), and BensCollectibles, and a few more just about equally, and it often depends on the figure or my mood or whatever.

I wanna know, yo. What do youse all likes?
    Please, no hating on reviewers or being a jerk.

2. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    • Don't be afraid to rerecord audio until flow problems are eliminated.
    • Keep your hands out of the way as much as possible.
    • Do your research, especially if a fiction-related accessory is included.
    • Find your zoom level and focus point before starting and try not to break it.
    • Have common figures or household items or even a ruler to compare sizes.
    Off-camera reviews are generally easier to put together, both for framing shots and splicing in do-overs.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The TFW feedback section for figures is the best example of how to do reviews the right way. It’s harder to maintain a personality cult on there, and everything is straight-to-the-facts.
    YouTube is the best example at how not to produce reviews. Even if just the figure is shown, there’s still a personality cult behind the camera.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Be informative, honest and to the point. Ultimately your tastes will show through but try to be as objective as possible, otherwise people might think you're a shill.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

For me it is all about the figure.

Stick to the basics:

Articulation
    Details
    Height
    Quality

I enjoy the likes of D Amazing or anybody that throws in some ACBA or posing shots.

Mainly because I'm all about dynamic posing display wise.

I want to know the ins and outs of a figure.

• Like Like x 3
  6. AndroidAnchovy

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I agree, but I am interested in doing videos as well. The whole thing I'm even concerned with is the figure. Folks don't need to know much about me, and I'm hardly a social media guy. This is good advice though, as I'd like to have abridged reviews of things that are very to the point.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AndroidAnchovy

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This is all lovely advice and some I never would have thought about! Thanks guys! It'll be a slow process but I'm working on a lot right now. I'll post something soon.

8. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    On top of the things that should all be givens - be clear with your audio, have a properly lit display, know how to transform the figure in advance, be objective & honest, etc. - I'd like to add:

- Do not bring in figures from other lines, especially rare/unknown shit from 3rd parties that no one has heard of or has, for size or aesthetic comparisons. It drives most people NUTS when someone is reviewing a Masterpiece, for example, but then slides in random figures from Never-Heard-Of-3rd-Party X and Y, a deluxe size from completely different/dead/past line like CHUG or Animated to compare with a Leader size, etc. Know the target audience of the figure you're reviewing.

- And following that note of what NOT to compare with - DO have proper line-consistent figures on hand for valid comparisons. Masterpiece with Masterpiece, Siege with Siege, so on & so forth. IE: if a new Megatron figure just came out in Line X and there's already a Prime, people will want to see those two together for obvious reasons.

- Don't spend/wast time showing people how every limb can & does rotate "all the way around". We know. That's what 99% of every arm, leg & head does.

- Lastly, no review EVER needs to be 30+ minutes in length. People skip through those ones. Always. Know your editing software and USE it.

Good luck moving forward :thumb 

• Like Like x 2
  9. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like seeing the person doing the review...helps you to get to know them...as long as they spend most of the time on the item under review...