Your Preferred Megatron Alternate Mode?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Archforce, Nov 25, 2018.

?

Your Preferred Megatron Alternate Mode?

1. Gun

82 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. Tank

172 vote(s)
    49.0%
  3. Dinosaur

13 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. Dragon

17 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Jet

27 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Bat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Car

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  8. Giant Hand

8 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. Truck

4 vote(s)
    1.1%
  10. Helicopter

27 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Arkimus Prime

Arkimus Prime Paleontologist Extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Well, technically, Dinosaur shouldn't be on the poll, because that's not actually Megatron... but whatever. Gun or nothing.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Amadeus Novilium

Amadeus Novilium Well-Known Member

What if we make him a gun AND A TANK AND A HELICOPTER!

3. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    as the "most powerful", I still think that he should be a multi-changer like Sixshot, at least a triple changer.

Plane/ship and tank.

As a six changer
    Plane/ship, robot, tank, cannon, helicopter, dragon

4. LockdownTF

LockdownTF Well-Known Member

I think a six-changer would make him too OP. I'd go with a triple changer cybertronian tank similar to war within and some kind of flight capable mode.

5. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

I'd go for a Cybertronic Jet being his primary alt mode, his main transportation, then triple change into a fixed turret/cannon ala Galvatron to homage the gun mode without leaning on 'tank'. The turret mode would be brutishly powerful but so slow moving its almost stationary, and the jet mode would have less firepower, still armed tho, but phenomenally sleek and fast.

6. DracoPrimal

DracoPrimal Nomenclature Nominator

At this point in the show, they knew things were winding down, so the flattest reason (like Tigerhawk's... um, 3? episodes) was "because that's the toy." No legit in-universe reason for it. Although with Magmatron's role / time of appearance in Gathering, I have a loose-cohesion (but still lengthy) fanon wherein Megs/Magma/Cryotek get into body-snatching hijinks. Megs takes Magma's body, the chimera alt mode of which has the 3 DNA sources blended into 1 alt mode (even helps explain why the dragon tail ends in a bitey/grabby thing), and that body is later stolen by an organic-hating Cryotek, and he is the villain for Beast Machines same story, not Gnashteeth.

I REALLY like this. It goes even better with PE's MegaDoragon b/c the dragon neck/head become an arm-mounted cannon. Keeping it going, Botcon 16 TM3 Megs (which is what should have been in the show, because they dont explain his TM2 change either) - while the body (in lava) is being reformed, the 2 absolutely dominating sparks struggle for full control, g1 "losing" only b/c its not his body, but the same split mind influence is the reason for the 2 heads in dragon mode (the translucent semi-spheres on the robot knees/ dragon necks are two equal spark chambers used until the victor moves up to the chest spark location). The return of g1 M spark was edited out of the final episode, but if keeping G1 megs inside his dragon form was driving BW Megs insane, he would HAVE to return it sooner than "ok, I won, now i will put it back so I dont hit my own history eraser button"
    If it was named Megatron, it's an option. R1D Meg is on here (bat/hand/dragon/car) but they didnt go ahead and include the other options: ski boat, griffin, cyber elephant... man, what was the other?

To me, yeah... "Blitzwing: prototype mode" is no thank you. Im selling mine.

But I would love a voyager heli-tank triple changer of him. I get "but then why Starscream?"... but really isn't that a question anyway because of Screamer's personality? But for battle reasons: jet = strafing runs and faster fighting in air combat, heli = heavier assault staying in one place (more Megatron style).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    I used to be a gun person, but after some thought, I think tank works very well...

But NOTHING beats Dragon.

8. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell I gave you power

Where'd you get the dope Panther avatar?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Reygn

Reygn Banned

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dark Starscream

Dark Starscream With Headmaster Cobra Commander

Gun.

If only for the symbolism behind it.

And when Optimus holds Megatron in gun mode... that's always exciting!

I also loved the comic cover with Cobra Commander holding Megatron. Very cool.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

Even whilst growing up in the 80s, I never took to Megatron's gun mode like all my other friends did. It was neat as a toy you could wield around quite like Soundwave's Walkman mode, his minions' cassette modes and Reflector's camera mode. I get the whole deception aspect of that but, to be honest, they were supposed to be based on military vehicles and, by themselves, they did not all portray a more military theme like, say, the Autobots did in their "working class" theme which was the every day motor vehicle and lack of military vehicles the Autobots portrayed quite well.

Since giving him a tank mode in G2 onwards, I've fallen in love with it. I wish it were his original mode from the beginning but they had to sell the initially heroic Gun Robo somehow. At least for some kids growing up these days, they see a tank as his "original" mode. I personally like that.

In my heart, Megatron shouldn't be a glorified Targetmaster. No. He should be a dominating tank. As suggested in the comments, it would be more fitting to be a proud Cybertronian Tank with hovering capabilities like the videogame and I support this notion. If not Cybertronian Hover Tank perhaps Prototype Future Rail Canon Hovering Tank the government was working on in secret to destroy alien threats!! He'd still be a gun with both treads and hovering technology together, just a very mobile gun.

As usual, to each their own. But for me? Prototype Rail Canon Hovering Tank Megatron, Tank you very much.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  12. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

What I can't believe the gun is not in the first place of votes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dark Starscream

I know, right??

14. Amadeus Novilium

Amadeus Novilium Well-Known Member

Personally, I see him as a helicopter and a tank. Not based on emotion, or symbolism but because tanks and helicopters have been one of the most oppressive land and air vehicles to this day. A tank could plow through a skyscraper easy, helicopter could blow up most buildings, and in combat, they are jacks of all trades. Tanks can overpower most artillery and car based vehicles, with only most aircraft as a weakness. Helicopters can do what tanks do but including tanks and aircraft. Unless we specialize his tank and heli modes, Megatron could probably do a one man stand against most of the world, with the only thing stopping him being a nuke.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Why are you guys so surprised?
    It’s only those with abstract thinking or guys drowns in heavy nostalgia that are really going to get and understand the gun mode

16. Dark Starscream

I guess I'm an absract thinker.

I've always just looked at the tank mode like the consolation prize because Megatron can never be a gun again because of child safety laws.

17. Dunking on Cybertronians

Dunking on Cybertronians Active Member

I like him when he can turn into a tank and a jet. I always like Megatron being a triple changer for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    My issue with Megatron being both alt. modes is that it kinda makes Blitzwing a bit redundant.

19. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

Megatron just sits well with being a tank or a air vehicle for me. Gun mode was cool but seeing him needing someone to fire him in the show and some of the IDW comics was a little silly. Bonus points if it's someone like Starscream who has a crippling case of Backstabbing Disorder or the facsimile Russian rebel in Escalation.

I'll be happy with either a tank or a helicopter if the upcoming new Transformers film is to go by.

20. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    From a psychological perspective, a GUN makes a lot of sense for his alt mode. He allows his troops to use his power, making them feel like they are in control, when in reality it is always Megatron who rules. This probably instilled loyalty to many Decepticons, like Soundwave, but the rush of power probably went to Starscream's head.

From a toy perspective, kids wanted to have toy guns that looked real and Megatron fit that bill, making him really cool. The fact that the original toy transformed into the leader of the bad guys was just as cool. There's no doubt that it was also disguised as an anti gun message since as Joe Bacal put it, "Guns. Guns are not good. So he'll be the head bad guy." But this didn't stop kids from having fun on the playground with G1 Megatron.

If I had to make a second choice, a super armored tank. They are essentially rolling guns.

• Like Like x 4