Your plans for your collection in 2020?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Notomus

Notomus I demand Studio Series DOTM Devcon

News Credits:
    Studio Series: Continue to collect the entire toy line, yes even the universal studios Megatron, I just hope the Universal Studios website gets him in so I don't have to go through Ebay

Earthrise: ER really hasn't hit as hard as siege did, not really into the leaders or most of the deluxes and voyagers. I'm waiting for reviews to decide on Grapple but so far I'm set on Wheeljack and the Micromasters. Hoist is a maybe but only if I can get him on sale. Though to be honest, Siege was the line I intended to seriously cut back collecting with, that really didn't happen, so Earthrise looks to be a great opportunity to do so.

MPM: I really hope the leaks are legit and we get Ratchet and Starscream, then from there all we need are Blackout, Bonecrusher and Brawl!

MP: I really don't know, maybe I'll do what I did this year and get some cheap on sale MP's around Christmas time.

As for my shelving, I've got it all into one place now which make me incredibly happy, all I have to do now is get my puck lights some rechargable batteries.

2. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Three goals:

1) Continue to collect MPM and Studio Series - these are the only lines I am intent on still buying. I think I'm out of the collecting game after Studio Series wraps.

2) Reorganize and clean the displays - I'm redoing a part of my basement in early 2020 which will involve getting brand new, slightly bigger bookcases to display my collection. This will give me the chance to reorganize and to clean every figure. They're behind a plastic sheet so they won't be too dusty, but they still haven't gone touched in a while...

3) Determine if I still want to keep everything - I have basically never sold or given away anything in my collection, almost ever, so now that I'm very tight on space and I have some lines that overlap (i.e., newer vs. older CHUG figures, Studio Series vs. older movie lines) I need to at least start to ask the question as to whether I want to keep everything.

• Like Like x 1
  3. byk500

byk500 Well-Known Member

seriously thinking about a moducase for Unicron.
    Need to light my display cases
    Looking forward to Fanstoys releases

planning a pilgrimage to Ollie’s for an Omega Supreme
    Counting the days till Toyfair.

unfortunately didn’t make SDCC this year, waiting for registration next year.
    Looking forward to Snapdragon to pair with Apeface

4. Riddler87

Riddler87 semi-retired transformers collector

This year I went a little crazy because not only was I collecting the Siege line but I got into Marvel Legends as well. However I did get all of the characters that I wanted from Marvel Legends so I can stop collecting that line.

For 2020 I want to:
    Stop collecting Marvel Legends, Super Sentai/Kamen Rider and trading card games.
    Sell my old Super Sentai/Kamen Rider toys, Transformers TCG cards and some older Transformers (mostly my AOE and Prime figures)
    For Transformers I want to just collect the current generations line and mostly focus on Deluxe and Voyager class figures, with the occasional Leader class figure. Then again I said that about Siege and still ended up getting most of the Battle Masters and Micromasters sets. Either way Earthrise is going to be my main focus.

I don't collect Masterpiece figures because after I brought MP Sideswipe everytime I looked at it just made me angry because I just thought about how much money I spent on what to me just felt like a fancy alternator.

I plan on getting a Switch after Christmas so I can play Pokemon Sword so I am probably going to be doing more gaming in the coming year and I'll just keep an eye on Transformers and keep on getting figures to finish my G1 collection and keep hoping that we get some Beast Wars figures in 2021.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I am currently in the process of packing to move and I have realized that I have way too much. I could probably stock 20 stores of Tfs. lol. My goal is to reduce what I have and sell the stuff in boxes that has not seen the light of day in almost a decade. Mostly old AEC and Movie 1 to 3 stuff. The Studio series releases are much better than the originals anyway.

Plus I also had a large chunk of my older figures flooded in 2012 in the flooding from Hurricane Sandy that I am still carrying around. They are basically destroyed but I couldn't bring myself to toss them at the time. Well, now I have to. Years in a tote and they are moldy so, bye bye I guess.

Now I just need to figure out the best way to thin the herd.

6. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Probably to stop collecting official MPs due to being priced out/not finding them worth the money. I might continue to pick up Beast Wars released but I'm no longer of the gotta get them all mentality.

Keep going with Flame Toys kits of the IDW characters as long as they produce them and keep them 'reasonably' priced.

Reassses the focus of my collection, maybe start collecting more non transformers stuff or maybe just reduce my toy collecting all together and be less poor as a result.

Oh and then there's possibly relocating to the continent after this country implodes in a mess of dangerous insular misplaced exceptionalism! Happy Xmas eveyone!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Focusing soley on Masterpieces and Siege.
    Continue selling off items I no longer have room for.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same as last year:

Try to get a complete 84 lineup. Never had one. Impressed enough with the new WFC designs to try. For me this means all 84 Autobots and Decepticons plus those who had cartoon appearances (Dinobots, Insecticons, Shockwave, Jetfire.) This includes Omnibots. Got the Powerdashers. (A really generous poster sent me Aragon at a point when my budget was tight.) And since that leaves a heavy Decepticon shortage, I want to try for Decepticons I consider “iconic” to balance things out. Barricade made the cut. Nemesis Prime or Slipstream would. Probably coneheads. Blackararchnia or Airachnid would.

I also always want to expand my S3 shelf. Waiting for a deal on Astrotrain. Got a few Cyberverse Gnaws for $6. Quintesson is a must buy. Always interested in better TFTM cast replacements. Need a Voyager Blaster. Curious about Cyberverse Deluxe Arcee. Honestly, my S3 shelf is MOSTLY movie characters fleshed out with later characters who strike my fancy. PotP Grimlock fits VERY well here as he wasn’t large after TFTM.

Realistically, I can only have one up at a time in my office space so 84 has taken over.

Since I don’t do duplicates of characters, Earthrise looks like a fair drop in spending for me although I do have Prime on preorder. Don’t mind spending less as I really want the main characters from MOTU Origins.

I am basically planning on 4 things.

Finishing 84 shelf to the extent I can.

Basic MOTU Origins cast. He-Man, Teela, Man-at-Arms, Orko, Battlecat, Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, Merman, Beast Man, Triclops, Trapjaw. That will go on a shelf with Vintage Snake Mountain and Funko’s 5.5 Thundercats. I’ll buy more of those if Funko does another wave. I have the DC Primal Age figures so they can go with that.

My 1971 Marvel Legends shelf. Not my birth year or anything. I honed in on that year as “classic/iconic”. 1970 was when Lee-Kirby FF ended. Kree-Skrull War was around then. It’s when the modern Avengers logo debuted. Roy Thomas was always a favorite writer. It’s just before the number of characters exploded and you wound up with lots of horror/dark characters. A lot of characters I’m lukewarm on were out of commission like Hercules and Red Guardian. It limits things. I grew up with What If...? (back issues and then-current) as my favorite book and that era was more or less when a lot of What If...? stories branched off from. Deciding if I want to include “Retroactive” characters like Jessica Jones Jewel and first appearance Wolverine. Only including Deadpool if they do his silly retro 70s costume with the pirate boots. But it’s really convenient because Sentry was gone by then and Blue Marvel was gone and so it’s a REALLY narrow slice of characters. The only non-iconic thing is that Hawkeye was Goliath. Everything else is pretty much how Marvel merch looked from 1970 through 2000 and is STILL what their retro shot glasses and housewares look like.

Display options. I’ve been tinkering with 3D renders to print as shelf liners. I would really like about 3 Fext displays and 12 stands for my WFC 84 cast. Being able to have the 84 Decepticons on “ceiling” mounted flight stands would allow for a low clutter look.

So TFs will probably get less of my money in 2020 but Hasbro still stands to get a healthy amount overall and I’m really focused on turning my shelves into something that photographs well.

I might get less focused again in 2021 because then I’ll have a nice backdrop for anything new. That Fext system might actually be space efficient enough to free up room for the main Beast Wars cast although part of why I’m hoping for BW to go small and maintain Siege media scale (with Deluxe Primal and many of the characters smaller) is about space as much as anything since anything that doesn’t fit on 4 36 inch shelves pretty much has to go into storage or get sold off.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gaiaknight

Gaiaknight Well-Known Member

My plans for 2020 is to currently finish out my G1 masterpiece collection with atleast 1 character representation from season 1 and some of season 2 along with swapping out some figures for toon versions.

I still need to get

Autobots

Gears
    Mirage
    Windcharger
    Beachcomber
    Cosmos
    Hoist
    Omega Supreme
    Perceptor
    Powerglide
    Skids
    Superion (most likely zeta)

Decepticons

Astrotrain
    Blitzwing
    Dirge
    Ramjet
    Thrust
    Menasor (most likely xtransbots)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. PoptiOptimime

PoptiOptimime Well-Known Member

With the boxes, that is if you want to keep them, they flatten really neatly if you cut the tape and fold them down. It almost condenses perfectly into Omega Supreme's box. Not sure what to do with the plastic inserts other than chucking them away. I threw away all of the battle/target master packages (although, on second thought, I should have kept the cardboard and sliced off the plastic).

For me, this time around with EarthRise, I'll be more patient with ER and wait for them to flesh out the line a bit. Since I had Amazon Prime, when Siege was starting with waves 1 and 2, I preordered a lot of Siege and was burnt by their false-guarantees. So, at the last minute after being cancelled by Amazon's terrible over-selling, I had to search around for things I thought I had locked in months prior... and then I ordered some of the exclusives and harder to find figures elsewhere. I think if I had waited on a lot of the figures, I would have saved money and not tried to complete the line. Right now, it's $15 for Barricade on Amazon... and I got him for more than $25. A few bucks here and there, patience, and luck is like getting a "free" figure with price changes. The only figure I'm missing from the line is Nemesis Prime - I still want him, but at $100, I'm not sure. I think if I started collecting ER to complete the line, I might fall into the same problems with hunting for these figures online.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

I have thought about purifying my collection and keep only the G1's.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

My plans for 2020 are the same as they've been since 1984.
    See figure I like, get figure I like. Ignore figures I'm not interested in.

Only change will when time/money allow, set up proper and nice display in the new apartment I recently moved into.

Stay within budget.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thatotherguy

Thatotherguy Well-Known Member

I've massively slimmed my collection down over the past few years, jumping in and out of various lines, so hoping to stick to my new streamlined approach and only get:
    -Masterpiece Beast Wars
    -3A DLX (maybe getting that TW Shatter if it can fit in)
    -Earthrise Optimus Prime

14. maverick10126

maverick10126 Active Member

A plan for 2020? I didn't have a plan for 2019. I started collecting these things like 2 months ago....I have no idea why, I was just looking for something new and fun to collect as my other collections wound down.

My two month old collection has blown up fast.

I now own SS-06 Starscream, SS-07 Grimlock, SS-08 Blackout, SS-10 Jazz, SS-11 Lockdown, SS-12 Brawl, SS-13 Megatron, SS-14 Ironhide, SS-16 Ratchet, SS-18 Bumblebee, SS-29 Sideswipe, SS-30 Crankcase, SS-33 Bonecrusher, SS-37 Rampage, SS-38 Optimus, SS-41 Scrapmetal, SS-42 Long Haul, SS-46 Dropkick, SS-47 Hightower....I have Mixmaster, Scavenger and Shockwave on the way.

With Seige I now own Megatron, Shockwave and Soundwave.

I'm making things up as I go.

For 2020...I'm going to stick with my current plan of limiting my duplicate characters in lines. I'm sticking with my one Bumblebee and one Megatron for instance.

I plan on finishing up the Constructicons in SS.

I'll cherry-pick the SS line as I move forward as I now have the bulk of characters I'd want.

I have some Earthrise figures pre-ordered and I can see myself getting into that line. I'll probably restrict myself to season 1 G1 characters though to give myself a hard limit focus.

I'll continue to sell off other random figures from collections I want to pare down/move on from.

2012 Ninja Turtles line will be the next line I focus on selling off....I need to pay off the credit card somehow lol.

15. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Banned

News Credits:
    * Buying Earthrise and leftover Siege figures
    * Buy MPM Starscream and Ratchet
    * Likely sell the MP Lio Convoy that I can’t cancel on Amazon Japan
    * Sell MP Prowl
    * Change around bedroom display. My room setup has been the same for roughly a year. New year - new setup.

16. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hopefully I'll be finished next year!

I only need Omega Supreme for my Classics collection.

Pretty much done with Studio Series after the current reveals are out, unless they do Dino.

Will get UT Megatron, BMB Jetfire and maybe NA Soundwave and MPM Ratchet for my main Movie collection, hoping for upscaled DOTM Megatron and Shockwave. Upscaled Dreads and Constructicons would be icing on the cake.

17. Caminus Prime

Caminus Prime Banned

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    MPM Ratchet and Starscream are my top priorities

I'll only be selective with SS and earthrise because of financial preparations for PlayStation 5, The Last of Us Part II, Doom Eternal, etc. And WFC Unicron.

18. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finish getting the main original crew as long as the figure(s) appeals to me, so Earthrise as a LOT to do to not end up in the shadow of Siege.

Then return to the ad-hoc purchases depending on the figure's appeal.

I'm simply so glad that I never tried to get the crew before and always stuck to the appeal of the actual figure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To not to, for the most part. Maybe ER Prime is a maybe right now. Hoist, Grapple and Cliffjumper are a high probability. Really the only "gaps" I want to fill in my collection are Tracks and Blaster.

20. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 number one Bangles fan on the boards

News Credits:
    Hmm, good idea to start thinking about this...

1. Continue with Earthrise: It looks like this one will enable me to fill out more holes in my CHUG collection.

2. Continue with Studio Series: I want Devastator! :D 

3. Continue getting rid of my old third-party toys. I've sold off almost all of them. I think I've only got third-party Quintessons, Sharkticons, and MMC's Heart of Steel toys. Some of them are going bye-bye.

• Like Like x 1