Your Opinion on Cogman?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Lazerwave, Feb 7, 2019.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

Personally I knew he was going to be a headmaster and I thought the concept for him was that he could transform with any vehicle he happen to be piloting rather than being a partner to a larger robot. This seemed to be the case because he transforms into a larger version of his own head and the car also just transforms into a larger version of his body... plus he wasn't marketed as Cogman with ______ or _______ with Cogman so based on the lack of a second name and the designs being the same I came to the conclusion that unlike traditional headmasters the car wasn't actually a Transformer but rather some how the little bot was using it to make himself bigger... and this actually in my opinion is a much better idea that traditional headmasters who I think are just a terrible idea...

Was really disappointed when I saw the movie and other than one line of dialog calling him a headmaster there's nothing. We never see him transform.

Aperently there's a deleted scene where he decapitates Nitro Zeus and takes over that body which also would have been cool but nope, not in the movie... I almost want to get the movie just to see that scene. I own all the other ones and plan on getting the Bumblebee movie but unlike the other terrible movies which can almost be good movies if you just didn't slap Transformers trade marks on them or they're like Mario Bro.s Movie bad where you know it's a terrible movie but still enjoy it anyway... The Last Knight I can't even call it a guilty pleasure movie, it's just a bad movie that I never want to see again.

2. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There can only be one.

If you think he was funny or clever in any way, you must be a real cool guy.

Jokes aside, I honestly think the writers for Paramount had no idea what a Headmaster ever was, in spite of Hasbro's abandoned toy designs. I was especially annoyed back in 2007 when Scorponok was a desert drone. You can't just throw around names like that.

Also, I genuinely think they just googled "autobot names" and saw "Hot Rod" and decided to use it because it sounded fast with no idea that the character is actually the successor of Optimus Prime.

Edit: I thought I'd address the Headmaster Cogman toy.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 6:05 AM
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    Oh and I forgot to add that he has a nice toy and I'm bummed that I never found one. I don't say that often about movie toys.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Ding dong THE BAYVERSE IS DEAD!

Going off the knowledge that the toys are developed based on earlier versions of the scripts and designs than what may end up in the final product, it's very clear that Cogman was going to be a Headmaster by taking over Nitro Zeus's body - why else would Cogman's toy inexplicably be using a Titans Return headmaster when the only other toy in all of the TLK lineup that was compatible was Nitro Zeus, whose head merely was removable to expose a TR headmaster socket?

Of course, TLK is a poorly written piece of shit and so was edited as such - who cares about something like that when you can have more jokes about how much sex Cade 'Mary Sue' Yeager isn't getting?

...yes they can. Blackout himself is a nameslap since characters using that name include: the original micromaster who became the back half of a B-1 bomber, a radar truck minicon partner to Demolishor, and one of the two helicopter combiner limbs from Energon as part of Bruticus Maximus (and thus wasn't really even a character).

I mean, you're whining that a robot scorpion...was named scorponok. Which the original pretty much was. That's still more accurate than Bonecrusher who was not green nor a bullzoder.

No, Hasbro directly influenced the choice of names - same way Blitzwing ended up somehow being in the Bumblebee film as ironically the only non-triple changer bad guy on Earth. With Blitzwing it was most likely because they still had the name trademark from the Titans Return Blitzwing ready to use and so it was a blatant nameslap.

With Hot Rod, the Titans Return figure of the same name had just come out and for years, he's had to have variations of Rodimus in his name because of the trouble trademarking "Hot Rod" - so they slap that name on that ugly-ass Lambo in TLK merely to reinforce the trademark claim even harder.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JohnStartop

Cogman's too big to be Nitro Zeus' Headmaster, so I seriously doubt the toy designs align with the writing of the film. Remember how jambled the creative process was for TLK. It'd be too hard for toy designers to keep up with what actually happens in the movie.

But Blitzwing was a dumb mistake, yeah. He's never actually called that in the film, so maybe they could get past it.

6. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

Was gonna post this same comment.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Autobot Burnout

[​IMG]

You were saying?

• Like Like x 4
  8. JohnStartop

"I seriously doubt the toy designs align with the writing of the film." Anything wrong with that?

And also, that blatantly isn't a Headmaster then because it's his actual head there. He doesn't transform into a head, and that would already have been too small. You think his own tiny head would fit on Nitro Zeus? The proportions with his size in the actual movie are all wrong, and this photograph proves my point.

9. Autobot Burnout

There literally is no reason for that gimmick to exclusively exist between those two figures if it wasn't going to happen at some point in the film. Same way how the two different ROTF 'Arcee' bike molds clearly have pegs that attach in a specific way, based on concept art of a three-robot combiner from ROTF. Or how AoE Evasion Mode Prime's blaster is actually DOTM Megatron's shotgun, right down to the gun having specific tabs and a trigger design that are pointless on Evasion Prime...but fit perfectly into the wrist and hand of the Voyager DOTM Megatron figure.

You do realize that the head is Cogman, right? Not the body - the actual robot that becomes the head.

[​IMG]

[quote[He doesn't transform into a head, and that would already have been too small.[/quote]

Wrong. Headmasters are traditionally treated as essentially being human, being that the human-esque Nebulons and actual humans have served as headmasters countless times across the franchise. And it isn't like mass conservation was worth a damn by TLK anyway after AoE decided transformation apparently worked on some bullshit molecular level.

No, his ENTIRE BODY would become the head, because that's what a headmaster does. And the size isn't wrong at all.

[​IMG]

Look at his head, and then the truck at the lower right corner. Now imagine Cogman folded over at the waist. The mass is close enough that it would be possible.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JohnStartop

Wrong. Headmasters are traditionally treated as essentially being human, being that the human-esque Nebulons and actual humans have served as headmasters countless times across the franchise. And it isn't like mass conservation was worth a damn by TLK anyway after AoE decided transformation apparently worked on some bullshit molecular level.

No, his ENTIRE BODY would become the head, because that's what a headmaster does. And the size isn't wrong at all.

[​IMG]

Look at his head, and then the truck at the lower right corner. Now imagine Cogman folded over at the waist. The mass is close enough that it would be possible.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I did NOT expect the robot to turn into a head that looks exactly the same. I stand corrected.

But I still don't feel there was much communication between the writers and the toy designers for a Cogman/Nitro Zeus combo to be in question during the plot.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  11. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy MAXIMUM CARNAGE!!!

He's cool.

12. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

An entertaining character who had a fun dynamic with Anthony Hopkins, but then I remember he was supposed to be a Movie-verse Headmaster, and I'm annoyed that we never saw it in the film.

Well, I say entertaining... he had entertaining moments. He did get kind of grating after a while.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  13. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was surprised given his murderous nature, that Bay just didn't have him eviscerating people left-and-right. Then again, Bay probably held back from having Cogman murder the local farmers in the surrounding areas, let alone Cogman just running down pedestrians who kept getting in his way.

...seems everyone in this film just wanted to kill something, by my estimation. So much anger!

• Like Like x 1
  14. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom TrypticonCarne on Seibertron

• Like Like x 1
  15. RamenJunkie

RamenJunkie Well-Known Member

I honestly can't remeber anything about TLK.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SaberPrime

Someone can't believe that Cogman was actually a headmaster even after being shown images proving that fact?

Well then you're really going to have issues with the fact that Cogman wasn't even the first Headmaster in the movies.

Dark of the Moon Brains was originally designed to be Que's Headmaster. This is the reason why they share the same fiberoptic "hair" in their designs and why he was named Brains in the first place as Headmasters often had names relating to the fact they transformed into heads. Now this dude is way too small to actually be a workable head though I presume he was shrunk down after they changed him into a lap top.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

I personally love Cogman, and I hope he and Nitro Zues appear in other continuities.

18. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I would love to see that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mattyou78

mattyou78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He really grated on me. Especially when almost the whole second act was just him and the humans. Not sure why he even needed to be a Cybertronian. I know there was a headmaster thing that didnt happen in the end, but really that would hardly be a saving grace.

I don't think it's even deleted (as in it was actually filmed and worked on in post-production) so much as just abandoned. I'm actually more interested in what was happening in all the scenes filmed in London with the five Autobots (without Optimus) and where it would've fitted in given that in the final movie cut theres no time when all five would've been together until they all reach Stonehenge (even allowing for the Autobot ship picking Hot Rod up on the way, Bumblebee was underwater the whole time).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  20. SaberPrime

Speaking of Bumblebee being under water... this is very forgettable being that we never see it transform, never hear it speak, and don't even learn it's name but the decommissioned Submarine turned Museum from the movie was said to have actually been a Transformer...

Given Hasbro in the past has taken vehicles not even meant to be Transformers (2007 Longarm was based on the tow truck that Mikala used to help an injured legless Bumblebee, RotF Stratosphere I think his name was they based on the jet that carried Optimus Prime's corpse to Egypt and the figure even came with a legends class Optimus as a reference to this. So when are we going to get a toy of Submarine Autobot who should be really easy to design since there's no on screen robot mode they have to stick to. I really want a submarine Transformer.

• Like Like x 1