your movie viewing habits at home

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by gil, Oct 17, 2011.

1. gil

gil Godmaster

I'm wondering how much of you out there actually sits down in front of a tv and stay there staring at the screen for the whole 1.5 -2.5 hours?

I was shopping for a HD TV so I can watch blu ray movies and also looked at 3D tvs. it's the 3D movies that got me thinking about watching a movie without distractions.

In my case, I'm always doing something else. surfing the net on an ipad or cooking or eating or reading something. I don't think a 3d movie will ever work with me.

2. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like to watch movies uninterrupted but being that I'm at home it's ok if I happen to get interrupted occasionally or need to get a snack or take a bathroom break (pause button is great!) I don't have any interest in 3D tvs though.

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    3D is the dumbest idea ever.

Blu ray is nice but i won't/can't justify replacing DVDs when it is basically the same thing.

4. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just recently got a blu-ray player. I'll buy blu-rays for the movies that I really like or special effects type movies where visuals are more important. I won't be re-buying any movies I already have in my collection (with the exception of maybe the LOTR trilogy someday).

5. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    If it's a movie I've seen many times before I don't get bothered by distractions.

If its a movie I haven't seen before though - you better sit down and shut up. If I miss that one crucial scene that brings the whole movie together I'll be upset. That being said, I always try to make the most of it... I get my snacks ready, turn down the lights, turn on my subwoofer and set the volume.

Also, for the record, I can sit and watch 3+ hours of 3D with no ill effects.

6. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could watch 3d movies through and through if...

1) Those stupid blue and red 3D glasses didn't annoy the crap out of me and
    2) it weren't for my selected attention span. (DOTM was the only 3D movie I didn't catch myself playing peek-a-boo with the screen. ie: Taking off the 3D glasses and putting them back on)

jD001

7. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Depends. I do very well in my room watching a movie. I try on the good television in the TV room and I generally can't sit through it... Especially day time hours. I prefer to put a movie on late and night and finish it before bed. Too tired to go get distracted by some shiny object in the corner...

Dran0n has some ADD probs! Reading? HA! Focusing in class? Nope. Need time to just be me and the movie.

8. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My HDTV is largely background atmosphere. It's oncein a blue moon will I sit down on the couch and just...watch.

I gave up on basic television and cable a long, long time ago, due to the dearth of reality shows, and because I didn't want to pay $60+ for over 120 channels of which I'd probably only watch 4-6 of them.

I mainly use my blu-ray player, as well as my Wii which I stream Netflix on.

My stuff is also very out-of-date by at least 2-3 years, since my TV and Blu-Ray will not wifi nor are Pandora/Netflix/etc compatible.

The whole 3D thing always has me thinking of a bunch of companies in a room, scratching their heads muttering, 'But why? Why don't people want to pay over $3000 for a 3D-enabled TV and $300 apiece for 3D glasses? We don't understand why!'

9. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

My movie viewing habit is buying DC animated cartoons on Amazon instant video and watching them on my computer. I'm too lazy to go out and buy the DVD.

10. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

If I'm watching the movie on DVD, then I won't do anything else but watch the movie. I won't have a snack and I rarely go to the bathroom during it. If I'm watching it on regular TV, then I will probably be on my IPod or something while watching it.

11. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

So why go to DVD when you have VHS?

3D if done right can add a lot. Not just in Movies/TV.

12. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I find it really, really hard to sit down and watch a whole movie unless it's really good. I usually give up within minutes, especially if it's on a screen larger than my monitor.

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Depends.

if it is a movie i've seen many times before I don't mind distractions. I'll pause it, take a wiz, grab some food, look stuff up on the laptop, etc.

If it is a movie that I've never seen, then I want uninterrupted viewing, but may pause if needed.

If it is a movie with a Rifftrax, then I want absolute uninterrupted viewing.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it's a film, or TV-on-DVD, I haven't seen then I like to watch with no interruptions. If I'm just watching TV and not any specific show, I'm usually always doing something else and listen to the show more than watching it.

15. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Most of the time, I'll sit down and watch a movie without distractions and only pausing it to get up and take a wiz. Sometimes though, when I watch a movie on my computer, I pause it often so I can do other things.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

if you're pausing a movie, to get up and go do other things, that normally means you're not enjoying the movie too much.

it's a 2 hour movie, 2 and a half hours at most, if you can't sit and watch it for that long, then it's not something you're enjoying.

a good movie should make you want to keep watching it. make you want to watch more, make you want to get back to watching it after you get up to use the bathroom. not make you want to get up to go to the bathroom, TO take a break from the movie.

if you're coming up with excuses to get up, chances are the movie's not very good to you.

and 3d is just a gimmick. movies shouldn't be about how good the effects are, it should be about plot, character development, and things like that. these days movies are too big into making movies look visually appealing more then making it a good film to watch.

and sometimes they put movies in 3d where i don't see where it'd benefit from it at all.

in the 80's the used to do 3d all the time, but mostly in horror films, like they'd toss a knife at the screen or something. but most films these days don't do that. and unless you have something coming straight at you, then there is no point to the 3dness.

some people might enjoy 3d, and i probably will once they stop requiring you to wear those silly glasses, but i'm still happy with buying the same movie on dvd for 5 dollars, 3 years later, at biglots, rather then spending the extra cash on buying the same movie, on bluray, with the 3dness.

and thanks to me having a HDTV and a bluray player, it ups the quality of the dvds, almost to the point, with the few blurays i have watched on it, i haven't noticed too much of a difference to be honest.

the screen quality is a little better, but that seems to be about all.

i paid the extra 3 dollars this month on netflix to get some blurays, and so far, i have yet to see any reason to get the bluray versions of these movies, vs the dvd.

on top of that, some movies have no point on being on bluray, especially any movie older then let's say, 2000, with a few exceptions, there is no reason to do so, except maybe to digitally restore the film to it's original quality, maybe.

i don't see a reason to switch my dvd collection to bluray, yet, little alone, switch to bluray, 3d.

besides, it might be nice to watch it in 3d once or twice, just like it might be fun to play the WII with swinging the remote for awhile, but after awhile, it gets old, and your hand starts to hurt after swinging it around for zelda for a few hours.

but for casual viewings, i'd much rather just have it in 2d. plus with bluray i can't view it on my computer, or on my older dvd player, since neither are bluray compatible.

i am sure there are movies that benefit greatly from bluray, and 3d, but i have yet to find any.

17. tomagnus

tomagnus question the answers

the 3d gimmick is overated in my opinion, at the theater for an action or horror movie is one thing but at home for sports center I mean, c'mon man. I love my bluray player there's NOTHING like a good action, scifi or pixar flick in bluray HD. That being said, not every movie has to be in Bluray HD, most comedies, dramas, thrillers or god forbid chick flicks need not be on the bluray format.

When sitting down to watch a film I usually try to get up as little as possible, pausing only to refresh my beverage and hit the bathroom on the way to or from from the kitchen. Making the most of my trip away from my spot on the couch. with the only other distraction being a crying baby, When I watch a movie I wanna sit in my spot relax and enjoy. I didn't invest a crap ton of money on a wicked Tv, and surround sound set for shit and giggles. I want it to be an experience every time that sucker gets turned on!