Your Masterpiece of 2019

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by chchchch, Jan 15, 2020.

?

What is the best official Masterpiece of 2019?

1. MP-20+ Wheeljack

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. MP-43 Megatron (Beast Wars)

26 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. MP-18+ Streak [Bluestreak]

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. MPM-8 Megatron

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. MP-44 Convoy (Ver. 3.0) [Optimus Prime]

36 vote(s)
    38.7%
  6. MPM-9 Jazz

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. MP-45 Bumble (Ver. 2.0) [Bumblebee]

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. MP-46 Blackwidow (Beast Wars) [Blackarachnia]

7 vote(s)
    7.5%
  9. MP-47 Hound

7 vote(s)
    7.5%
  10. Other (MP-10ASL, MP-10G)

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    As much as i love Optimus Prime 3.0 i also love MP-10G. So I'm voting Optimus Prime 3.0 and MP-10G but the others also deserve a head nod too. Now the Wheeljack and Hound should be coming in a slot of #2,...since they are great too. I must admit, I don't own these figures but i will someday i hope.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm the lone voice (so far) for MP-45. He has his flaws (yes, that backpack[/I] and those feet), but for me, he more than makes up for them in personality and fun. A cartoon-accurate Bumblebee has been my Holy Grail since I was a kid, MP-21 didn't quite do it for me as much as I liked it, and here, finally, we have a figure that is properly yellow, sports a Chibi alt mode that seems to have jumped straight from the cartoon and comics, and a face sculpt that finally nails the Bumblebee I loved as a kid. A fun transformation too. He hasn't been off my desk since I got him. I love it.

What a great year for MPs, though (QC issues aside). MP-44 will no doubt win the poll, and quite rightly, as he is surely the most impressive figure in the line in terms of aesthetics, quality and paint. He doesn't quite win for me because: (a) he was never a Holy Grail, I think probably because, as a kid, I had the toy before seeing the cartoons and loved the toy so much that I never yearned for a fully cartoon-accurate Prime in the way I did for some other characters; and (b) I don't find the transformation any fun at all because of how long it takes, and the transformation is a key part of the MP experience for me. MP-10 still wins on that score (but not on any other!).

And then there's MP-18+ Bluestreak: what a revelation! The Datsun mould was never one of my favourites, probably because I didn't like how you have to wriggle out the legs during the transformation. Even so, I was quite partial to MP-18 because of the nice face sculpt. Then MP-18+ comes along and blows it out of the water with a face sculpt that nails the character and a stunning paint job that, for me, turned the slightly hoary Datsun mould into a whole new figure. The Datsun mould has gone from being a "meh" to one of my favourites in Bluestreak+. In any other year, MP-18+ would have been my MP of the year.

(Hound is a stunner, too, but shoddy materials and a 3P-esque transformation that relies on too many folding panels relegates him to the runners-up on my MP shelf, sadly.)

I'm more of a G1 person, but an honourable mention has to go to MPM-09. I liked the designs from the first movie (and from the Bumblebee movie), but I almost didn't pick this up because the "tear in half" feature is just so mean and also too much of a reminder of why I hate the Bay movies (killing Jazz was the first unforgivable moment, and a moment that I watched with a devastated five year-old :)  ). I'm glad I caved and bought it, though. MPM-09 has an intuitive transformation, looks fantastic in both modes, and has a beautiful silver paint job that really makes it look like a premium statue on the shelf.

I just hope we get some new reveals soon - it's probably too much to hope that 2020 will be anything like the bonanza year that 2019 was.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Hubcap

Hubcap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, I didn't buy a single release in 2019. What marvellous self restraint! The one that came closest to being bought was MPM9 Jazz, so he gets my vote I guess. I actually thought Black arachnia looked the best, but I don't collect BW. Waiting on the toy redecos of the other new ones.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Without a doubt, hands down, no competition comes near him (ok ok if you're not into Beast Wars, are a G1 Sunbow nut and have deep pockets MP-44 might) MP-43 Megatron [Beast Wars]. He's not perfect, much like pretty mush every other release this year he had some flaws (but none so terrible as what we've been seeing lately!), he was/is overpriced (again a worrying trend that has gotten more out of control as the year progressed) and he didn't include a stand which at that price he really should have. However with those caveats in place he is glorious.
    He is just so beautifully and elegantly executed! The paint the sculpt, the material, the hardware everything is on point. He instantly became the centrepiece of my collection(although he now has 3P competition for that), the shear beauty and presence he has on the shelf in both modes is unparalleled... he looks amazing. Plus in a rare move by TT in recent times, his engineering and design (mostly) adheres to the 'less is more' school of though. There is no 'over-engineering' here, his transformation is simultaneously clever and intuitive, he has all the articulation you could ever need and he's durable! You can actually play with this figure, transform it back and forth, pose it all day long and for the most part it will not punish you for doing so. The superfluous (IMO) gimmicks such as a voice chip, lights and removable armour are thankfully un-intrusive and not detrimental to his appearance(although after MP-44 got Peter Cullen on his I'd have appreciated a bit if David Kaye on this one). TT really knocked this out of the park in so many ways and much more than any other release this year IMO.

IMG_8353.jpg IMG_8449.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

MP-43 Megatron

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Great poll, @chchchch !

I totally agree with you, @ambitron , except that a cartoon Optimus is an even holier grail for me than a cartoon Bumblebee (close, though!).

This guy's the all time champ in my book...

[​IMG]

I have two copies and their knees are still solid. This figure's the best representation of my favorite version of my favorite TF. It's a Sunbow produced/Toei animated/Peter Cullen voiced Optimus come to life.

[​IMG]

All in all, as a G1 cartoon guy, this might've been my favorite MP year yet!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  7. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    I'm going to withhold my vote till I get my Bumblebee in hand and get a chance to play with him. But for right now (as much as I love Optimus Prime) I have to say it is 18+ because Bluestreak is my ultimate favorite from the original show. Mainly because he was my first Transformer toy long ago.

But we'll wait and see if MP-45 takes over since he seems fun to fiddle with (a nice halfway between the newer complex bots and the older simpler bots).

I agree with those who say that 2019 was a good year for the Masterpieces, not one that I would not want in my collection. Even Beast Wars and Movie lines tempted me.

Oh I have to say that Hound would have made my top if he actually wasn't broken. I am hoping that Takara will do another manufacturing and fix the issues. I just want a cartoon Hound in my collection that won't break.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Gooo, Megatron!

• Like Like x 2
  9. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, I didn't realise Beast Wars was so popular, with BW Megatron and G1 Prime nearly neck-and-neck - I guess it was just a bit past my time (plus the concept never made much sense to me), but Megs does look like a great figure.

Great photos and a superb figure. My two copies are still solid, too, although only one has been fiddle with much. Out of interest, how long does it take you to transform him (I'm guessing you've transformed him a bunch of times now)? I've only transformed mine about twice; I keep thinking about doing it again but then don't want to spend an hour on it. :) 

Although MP-45 is my winner, MP-18+ is such a great figure, nailing cartoon Bluestreak, that if he was your favourite character from the cartoon, I'm sure he'll win out. :)  Very fair to wait and see, though!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Thanks, @ambitron ! I honestly haven't transformed him as much I'd like yet, probably less than ten. Maybe eight? I just did it the other day and still needed the instructions in a few spots tbh. I didn't time myself but I'd guess around 20 min. I gotta say he feels more durable than MP-10, even if it seems 44 does have less die cast. 10's front cab bits that folded onto the sides of his bot backpack always felt fragile along with his leg panel hinges and I worried a little if he fell his antennae or exhaust pipes would break (he never did, fortunately). I actually did drop my play copy of 44 head first from a few feet off the ground a couple months back and he was perfectly fine except for a nick in the paint. Thank God for those soft ears!

I feel 45's transformation is heavily underrated for sure. With all the complaints that MPs are now too complicated, that they take too long to transform and are too fragile, he feels super durable and transforming him gives me the same thrill (and takes about the same time) as transforming the vans, Ultra Magnus, or even MP-21. I got over the heels well before his release and understood the reasoning (to keep the alt door unchopped) and was pleasantly surprised to find that his backpack compresses and locks nice and tight, but even though he's probably my third favorite MP there's no denying TT gouged us on his price. Should've come with several more accessories or been around $20 cheaper. Even so, I've already gotten my money's worth of happiness out of both my copies!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jhund

Jhund Screws>Pins

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Bee , unintentional creep face brings joy , reminded me alot of that shf woody C32F517B-ECBD-4B0C-B570-8BAB094F9E73.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  12. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    If this year hadn't included MP-44 I most certainly would have given it to MP-45! He oozes the character and is also great fun for me to pose and transform. While it would have been great if something better could have been done with the feet and backpack, they also don't bother me. I assumed we'd only ever get a MP-21+ for cartoon Bumblebee, because I didn't believe it was physically possible to achieve those ideal proportions even WITH kibble hanging off all over the back. So I'm certainly not going to fault TT for exceeding my expectations by only 200% rather than by 300%!

• Like Like x 3
  13. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    So yeah, I've had a chance to transform MP-45 Bumblebee a few times now and he really is growing on me. I also popped some batteries in MP-44 and he's now growing on me as well. It really is hard to vote who is my favorite for 2019 since I like Bluestreak, Bumblebee and Optimus Prime. If my Hound was perfect I would have voted for him, but as it is all of my 2019 purchases were upgrades of existing Masterpieces in my collection.

I love playing with all of them, but think I'm going with Bluestreak. Optimus Prime is truly amazing in both modes. Wheeljack looks really great with his new paint job. Bumblebee also looks great in both modes and I call him a mini version of Sunstreaker. But in the end the uograded paint job, modifications to allow face swapping and blast effects just pushed Bluestreak ahead of the others just enough to make him my 2019 favorite.

• Like Like x 4
  14. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had to go with Prime simply because of the accessories and trailer. If it wouldn't have been the QC issues we've seen this would have been an epic year. Two great plus repaints and Bw Megatron, Prime,Bee, and Hound with no QC problems would have made this even tougher. I love 45 and he ended up as much fun as I thought he would be. BW Megatron has such presence with his glorious paint job, and Hound definitely would have redefined the "carbot" like Sunstreaker did is he didn't have the rampant plastic issues. The repaints were noticeable improvements over their non-plus predecessors and while I thought Blackarachania was the weakest release this, I still thought she was pretty good.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I went with Hound since he was the only new G1 Sunbow for the last 2 years. No issues transforming mine. MP-44 would have been #1 but we have already gotten 2 in MP line. MP-45 was just ok dont care for the backpack or feet.

• Like Like x 2
  16. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    No question, it's MP-43 BW Megs for me, yeeesss.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This guy by a country mile for me:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    "We got one!!!!!!!!!"

19. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I have to go with MP44. I started off not wanting to pay so much for another Optimus when his preorder went up. Then I was talked into buying him by member of TFW2005, and I'm so glad I caved. He is just awesome.
    :D 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    Bad year for my interests. Pass.

EDIT: I take that back! MP-10G. Probably my favorite deco of that mold.