Your Ideal Unicron VA

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by ScientistMan, Oct 21, 2019.

1. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

With the generations figure successfully funded, we may see more of the Planet Eater in various media. Who would you like to see in the role?

• Like Like x 1
  2. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Jonathan Adams would be my ideal candidate.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb

Possibly
    [​IMG]

But I could also go for....
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

I dunno if I have a set ideal VA for a future project, but if it's someone that can sound like Roger C. Carmel's take, or do something that would sound similar to Nicol Williamson's Nome King or William Conrad's Denethor, then I would be pleased.

5. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

Keith David could do a solid job. I've heard him slow down his cadence and do a more sinister, creepy delivery and it would be effective here.

If he hadn't passed away, Tony Jay would've been awesome.

• Like Like x 7
  6. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

That's a cool choice. I think I did hear a role from him that had him doing a really unsettling voice (might have been Dissidia Final Fantasy, but I might be wrong).

And personally, I feel Tony Jay's voice would have been a bit more fitting for Primus (plus, it would be a nice change of pace from his typical villainous roles).

• Like Like x 2
  7. Snowcat

Snowcat Animation Detective

It would really depend on how they wanted to characterise a new Unicron. They way he was portrayed in G1 was quite different from both Armada and Prime. All of which were very good. However, considering the way things are these days, they'd probably just want someone to sound like Orson Welles. If you had to do that, then Maurice LaMarche is really the only choice, considering he's the go to guy for an Orson Welles impersonation. He even did one in Rescue Bots.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  8. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

Maurice LaMarche

9. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

I love Maurice LaMarche and I love his Orson Welles impression, but I don't think it works for a couple reasons:

1) LaMarche's Welles impression is him emulating Welles' regular speaking voice. But Welles' Unicron voice wasn't just his own voice. He was deepening it and altering his speech patterns. Doing an impression of someone is difficult. Doing an impression of someone's voice while they're doing a different impression/altered voice is way more difficult.

2) LaMarche's impression is based on a younger version of Orson Welles' voice. It sounds like what Welles did when he recorded the War of the Worlds broadcast, or acted in the first season of The Shadow, which would be back to the 30s and 40s. Or it's also very specifically focused around his replication of Welles' infamous "frozen peas" commercial recordings bloopers recorded in 1970. That amount of difference or potential drift would make the above issue even more pronounced.

They'd be better off finding someone who can deliver a voice similar to specifically the Unicron voice rather than finding someone who sounds specifically like Orson Welles and hoping he can do the Unicron voice from that starting point.

And while I'm at it again, a secondary suggestion beyond my first one:

Kevin Grevioux

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snowcat

Snowcat Animation Detective

You're not wrong with any of that.

But I'm pretty sure Maurice is an incredibly versatile performer and could surely deepen his voice or whatever else you need. Remember, he plays Morbo, Lrr and Gelatinous Blob on Futurama. Also, I imagine some of the deepness of Unicron's voice is actually due to artificial pitch shifting on the part of the editors. Considering the state of his health at the time, I doubt he could have changed his voice that much.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

If they do the Galactus-style planet eater with Galvatron and the gang as his heralds and mouthpieces, he may not even need a voice actor. He'd be an impersonal force of nature.

But if we do something a little different, make him an agent of chaos in the sense that he's the devil in "deal with the devil," then I'd prefer Lee Tockar (Makuta in the CGI Bionicle movies). Keith David could work as well, even if I would prefer him for Optimus.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Artork312

Artork312 The Robo-Chuvak

News Credits:
    Y'know, I think that Rick D.Wasserman too can do the job. In fact, two of his roles were very Unicron-like.

Just saying.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's not a voice actor with a huge amount of roles under his belt, but I love how his resume simultaneously includes one universe's shining poster boy for good (Tyrael, Diablo III/Heroes of the Storm) and another universe's ultimate evil (Vaatu, Avatar: The Legend of Korra). You can throw in Darkseid in Justice League: Action into the latter pile for good measure as well. His deep, commanding voice somehow works perfectly in either scenario.

Hearing the Sargeras voice clips there, Transformers alumnus David Sobolov (BW Depth Charge, Prime Shockwave) could also pull it off. Sargeras there isn't too far removed from how David played Azmodan in Diablo 3.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just started playing Indivisible, and hearing him in-game, Michael Dorn might actually be able to pull the role off quite well. It's still very early in the game for me, but from the relatively brief interaction you have with the game's villain, Lord Ravannavar, Dorn gives a wonderfully emotionally detached performance. I mean, not in the sense that he's phoning his acting in, but that his character is just utterly unconcerned with the trivialities of mortality. That sort of passive disdain for everything feels like the right sort of wheelhouse for Unicron's personality. Malevolence is merely his state of being, rather than something he goes out of his way to act out.

He also sounds nothing like Worf, so that wouldn't be a distraction. I actually thought it was J.K. Simmons at first, except that the voice lacked the natural "fire" of J.K.'s sound.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I've got lots of ideas.

Clancy Brown
    Jim Cummings
    Scott McNeil
    Paul Dobson
    Corey Burton
    Jon Avner
    James Earl Jones

• Like Like x 3
  16. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Join communist pack?

News Credits:
    Ron perlman?

• Like Like x 1
  17. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Gilbert Gottfried. Listen to that versatility.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

The guy that played The Architect in the Matrix.

With respect, I disagree with Jim Cummings. Even as a kid I never liked his voice work. Plus most of his voices sound the same to me. Only time I liked him was as G1 Afterburner.

19. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    I wanna hear James Earl Jones voice him, I think that'd be dope.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Blue=Sarcasm; Purple=Snarkcasm

David Kaye, Morgan Freeman, or JEJ

• Like Like x 1