your first favorite and recent favorite character?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by streak2, May 11, 2019.

1. AMG

AMG Old School

I got into Transformers as a kid back in 1984. I would say Megatron was my first favorite. From the 1986 movie on, Galvatron became my favorite and he still is today.

galvatron-transforms.gif

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    As a kid I had several favorites. Bumblebee was a big one, especially in terms of the toys. I had (and still have) more Bumblebees than anyone else.

I really liked G1 Silverbolt as a kid (well, I was probably a teen by then...I didn't have the opportunity to watch the shows much as a kid). No one really talks about him, but I always thought he was really interesting. A jet who was afraid of heights. A leader who doubted himself. He always seemed humble and down-to-earth (quite literally, in fact). I liked his relatability, and thought he was a healthy role-model for aspiring leaders. Not every leader has to start off hyper-competent and strong, I liked how he was more of a normal guy who was thrust into a leader role. Optimus' origin has aspects of that too, but it's more of a backstory. That was a defining and ongoing part of Silverbolt's character. At one point I would have said Silverbolt. Bumblebee is an easy go-to favorite for kids, but Silverbolt was the first character I liked on a deeper level than just "cool guy" or "neat design".

As an adult I'd say G1 Optimus is my favorite. Great character, great morals, great voice, great (and very iconic) design. I love how he turns into an everyday working-class truck. It could symbolize how...despite being a great and larger-than-life leader...he's ultimately an everyday guy fighting for freedom. Symbolically, the truck is more powerful than something like a tank or a jet would be (which would be a more obvious choice for a military leader). Was that the artistic intention? Probably not, since they all came from pre-existing toys. The decision to make that toy the leader was probably just based on that toy looking big and cool, and maybe the patriotic (superhero-esque) color scheme. But that's still the end effect, and that's my interpretation of the character. I liked Prime as a kid, but I appreciate him even more as an adult.

Honorable mention to G1 Soundwave. I like everything about him. His color scheme (blue is my favorite color, and I also love yellow..both of which Soundwave has). His angular face. His chest door. His minions. His voice. His cassette deck alt-mode (I love retro imagery and analog tech). It's just neat mix of stuff. Every aspect of his character jives together very well. I'd argue too well, in fact...I don't feel like any Soundwave since has quite been able to capture the magic of the original character.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Toonstrack

Toonstrack #BringBackBoxBios

Shockwave is favorite TF overall as well as con, Ironhide is my favorite bot.

As of lately? I dont know... It would be mostly based on toy at this point since bios are a thing of the past.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reygn

Reygn Banned

Revenge of The Fallen Sideswipe
    He looked cool. One of my first ever figures was his cyberverse version. I was hooked as soon as he bisected Sideways. Gods, I was f@cking stupid back then. Now that I've read the prelude book, I hate him even more; he is the biggest tool.

IDW 1 Deathsaurus
    Not only does he look awesome, he is also somewhat of a good person, with his troops' lives meaning something to him.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  5. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Well, of the original characters, I always resonated towards Starscream. I dunno, I always was impressed by how he could be handled in so many different ways while keeping that essence that makes him a great character. Plus, he is hilarious. Whenever he gets abused or constantly berated is just a joy to watch. The late Christopher Collins did a wonderful job of bringing ol' Screamer to life with his energetic performance.

Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime is another one I would consider a favorite. In the 86 movie, he didn't leave any impression on me, but once I saw season three, I really felt he was a much more interesting character than his predecessor. The constant insecurity, the amount of self-doubt and the stress he had to endure just made him quite real for me. And Dick Gautier's voice performance was also perfect and really brought a lot of energy as well as a down-to-earth quality to Rodimus.

As for recent characters... it would have to be Knock Out. TFP was a big disappointment for me, but this one character was just something to behold. He was smug, vain and funny as hell. Honestly, this guy deserved a much better show to be around. His sardonic remarks just felt like something that would come out of Eve Arden's Connie Brooks and honestly, we need to bring him back. He was just too good for the show he was in.

Another one would be Nautica. I just love this gal. She happy, she smart and she vewy, VEEEEEEWY adowable. Honestly, Nautica was one of James Roberts' triumphs. Her chemistry with all the other characters, her amount of emotional depth and optimistic demeanor just made me fall in love with this chick. She is as beautiful as she looks. Too bad that I've heard that she is pretty boring in the second IDW run, 'cause that happy intellectual from Roberts' stories was just incredible and really deserves another chance. Please, Hasbro... release another Nautica toy (but none of that exclusive stuff this time like the last one was, AH WUNT MAH NAUTICA NAO!!!). Also, someone please add her to a TF show, because if you do, I'll watch it just for her (unless it's like the IDW2 version).

• Like Like x 3
  6. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    my first favorite was Grimlock...my favorite now is...Grimlock.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

I have never been able to choose a favorite character. If you held a gun to my face and demanded to know my favorite character, I would die.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    1st Favorite was G1 Soundwave (way back in 1984).

He was quickly supplanted by G1 Grimlock the moment that I knew he existed.

For a brief time in the mid '90s when I rediscovered Transformers, G1 Mirage became my favorite.

Currently, Astrotrain is my favorite (with Grimlock a very close 2nd).

9. madmill0599

madmill0599 Member

Ebay:
    First would be Shockwave G1 toy/Jazz G1 cartoon. Newest favorite is Power Baser (Powermaster Optimus/Ginrai)

10. BlastOff682

BlastOff682 Well-Known Member

My first favorite character was actually R.I.D 2000 Movor from the commandos, I had him when I was a little kid mainly because he turned into a space shuttle, that's what led me to discover blast-off and the combaticons when I found out about G1. (And is also the inspiration for my username!)

But my most recent favorite characters are both IDW thundercracker and Sky-Lynx. For Thundercracker I always liked the idea of a bad guy turned good, and he was a prime example in the comics. As for Sky-lynx, I mainly like him for both his personality as well his overall design, Hes a Giant robot Gryphon/Dragon, Super badass

• Like Like x 1
  11. Reygn

Reygn Banned

Where did the 682 come from ?

12. BlastOff682

BlastOff682 Well-Known Member

That was just some random numbers I put in xP

13. Revoticus

Revoticus Splitting headache

It's a three way between Starscream, Bruticus and Nemesis Prime as one of my favorite characters when I first got into the fandom actively.
    Recently it's Starscream, Bruticus and Megatron. Nemesis comes up once in a while in my mind

14. Whomps

Whomps The World's Okayest User

News Credits:
    First favorite was Bumblebee, and while he's still.....aguably my favorite autobot(it's close between him, Prowl and Sideswipe), my favorite Transformer period eventually became Soundwave

15. Soundwave1109

Soundwave1109 Member

Soundwave Superior. Even Soundblaster.

16. Blitzwing75

Blitzwing75 Well-Known Member

First favourite was G1 toy was Menasor, my first completed combiner toy. Then came Blitzwing who was an awesome toy.
    My favourite character was G1 Ultra Magnus. He gets lots of flak for the movie but I liked him.

my favourite current character is probably Cyberverse Perceptor, though I do have a soft spot for Clobber.

17. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee when I was a kid

Now it’s Starscream, soundwave, and shockwave

18. Blasterblaster1221

Blasterblaster1221 Member

I started late on transformers so my first favorite bot was energon inferno...nowadays Its a tie between blaster and moonracer

19. Shockwave1109

Shockwave1109 Member

Only logical choice.
    Not only does he look awesome.
    I loved how he was competent, loyal (G1), brutal (comics), and knew when to speak up and to shut up.
    He actually gave advice and acted like a second in command.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  20. TacticalBacon

TacticalBacon UT Gang Rise Up

News Credits:
    First favorite was Optimus Prime, specifically the Energon version of him since it was one of the first TF toys I had as a kid. Current favorite is Shockwave because I love his various designs and character motivations from throughout TF media.