Your first comic book ever.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by IACON, Aug 30, 2019.

1. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

What was the first comic book you ever read? Mine was "DC Comics Presents - Superman and the Forgotten Villains." From Feb. of 1985.

Which one was yours?

dc comics presents #078-00fc.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

Fittingly enough...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Funny enough, might be the same for me, except instead of the issue, it was the thin collection paperback Marvel published that used this as It's cover, alongside the first one that used issue #1's cover.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fantastic Four 220

• Like Like x 1
  5. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Veteran

7CAF9BAE-415F-455E-821E-371F38E01AEE-220-000000055EF0CBC6.jpg
    Donald Duck #268
    November 1988

I was 4 or 5, and received this comic in 1989... I think I'm the springtime? A friend or colleague of my father's was over for a barbecue & brought my brother and I each a comic. (My brother received an Uncle Scrooge issue.)
    I read this comic hundreds of times, it's very good! Eventually it got too dog eared & the worn out husk was recycled by my folks.
    In this story Donald attempts to win a prize (a tricycle?) on a stage game show. His nephews keep foiling him, and the dastardly host enables their wicked pranks. I remember being quite unnerved by the joke where Donald gets trapped inside a duck sized gelatin dessert! Haha!

I bought the first of the Fantagraphics Carl Barks collections seven years ago and was delighted to find it collects that same story. Great to have it to reread after so many years apart.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Hard to say. There's an issue of a Batman comic (could have been Detective) from the early 1970s that featured the Riddler and some kind of Egyptian motif, which is the earliest comic I remember reading, but I've never been able to figure out what issue from what series it was as an adult. I've looked a bunch of times but never figured it out. But it's also possible that the Power Records read-along comic of the Hulk is the first "comic" I ever read.

[​IMG]

No doubt the reason Herb Trimpe is the quintessential Hulk artist for me.

There was also an issue of Spidey Super stories thatco-starred the Cat teaming up against the Owl.

[​IMG]

Other comics from my earliest days that I either actually still own or have rebought years later are a few DC Treasury Editions from the '70s:

[​IMG]
    This one had everything. A Dick Sprang story from the Golden Age, a fantastic New Look Batman story drawn by Infantino (my favorite in the issue), a Neal Adams story... it really collected some of the best of all eras up to that point.

[​IMG]

Superman vs. the Flash! This might have actually been my introduction to Flash (1976) and instantly cemented him as one of my all-time favorite characters to this day.

[​IMG]

And then, this:

[​IMG]

What can you say about this one? It still holds up very well, being written by one of the all-time legendary great writers of both characters, Gerry Conway. It also subtly highlights the fundamental differences between both universes when Doc Ock turns on Luthor, because Lex takes things to a ridiculous level that Doc Ock can't abide. "Destroy the Earth?! Are you crazy?! I live on Earth, too!!" Octavius was not ready to hang with DC villains. Also a great moment between Superman and Lex, in which he reveals his underlying feeling towards Lex isn't anger or fear, but disappointment. But also that he still hasn't given up on the idea they still might be friends again someday.

Man, those Treasury Editions are the greatest thing ever.

• Like Like x 5
  7. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I read this issue till it practically fell apart. If you never have read GI Joe from the 80s, you really should, it is excellent. Great thread by the way.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

Oh yeah, my brother had that one. Between the two of us, we wore that thing apart.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When I was young, I was a big Sonic the Hedgehog fan, and my family noticed that. So, when one of them saw this issue, they brought it for me as a gift. This was the first comic book I owned, which ultimately led me to purse this form of media, and make it into something I cherish now:
    upload_2019-9-1_1-23-37.png

I know that it this issue isn’t as amazing as the other posts on this forum, but I still have a soft spot for it, especially since this helped to shape my future.

• Like Like x 3
  10. wheeljack01

This issue is amazing to you and that is all that matters. Cool cover.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

The cover is drawn by Patrick "Spaz" Spaziante.

12. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

Awesome! Mine too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Veteran

I'm loving everybody's replies, its so fun to see the book that started each person's love affair with the best medium! ;) 
    That story sounds so good! I'm gonna keep an eye out for this book... I imagine since its a crossover between the big 2 it hasn't been reprinted in an easy to find format.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    They reprinted it in the '90s. If your comic shop carries back issue Treasury Editions, I've seen the original go for between $10-$30 for average condition. And I've seen the reprint go for under $10. It was the first crossover comic DC and Marvel ever did together, and imo, still the best, although Uncanny X-Men/New Teen Titans from the '80s is also very good. That one was a normal-sized comic, though.

• Like Like x 3
  15. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Superman in Space

Volume 2 issue 28.

• Like Like x 1
  16. wheeljack01

The first Superman vs Spiderman is getting quite expensive for a decent shape one. It and it’s sequel are the only two original content treasury books I need for my collection, so I constantly keep an eye out. Most decent ones start at $60 and go up. The thing you have to worry about with this book is it was a glued spine book and not stapled like other treasury books. The book may look fantastic on the cover, but when you open it up, it is coming apart. I held a beautiful copy in my hand at last year’s Heroescon and was floored he only wanted $70 for it, well, when I opened it I saw why. Please be alert when looking at this book. Man, all this treasury talk has got me wanting to start a treasury thread:) 

PS: Southtownkid’s talk of the reprint from the 90s might be a better option to own if you just want the story. Though, if I am not mistaken it was not treasury size though.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well not counting comic strips my first would be this mini comic that came with my he-man ram man toy!

[​IMG]

My first non mini comic would be transformers 1-14 and a issue of gijoe gave to me by my friend next door who just by luck ended up with two copies of each and gave the copies to me!

[​IMG]

First gijoe.
    [​IMG]

I got gijoe and star wars comics for years till I saw a cover of fantastic four with this fire guy and rock guy and wanted it and entered the world of comics for real!

ff 305!
    [​IMG]

My first dc comic (not counting he-man) was two older superman copies gave to me by my aunt.

Here is one of them.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. wheeljack01

I want to say this early Masters mini comic has early art by Mark Texeira(Wolverine,Ghost Rider).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I honestly can’t recall what my first comic book was...

Closet thing I can think of is Calvin & Hobbes. But I don’t think that counts....

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had a copy of dc comics presents with the superman he-man team up as a kid also but hated how prince adam acted in it. (he was a jerk) and traded it with a kid for a Spider-Man comic! It was a first print copy! Ouch that still hurts today. Man I wish I kept that book! Lol.

• Like Like x 3