Your first comeback toy

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shockwave9227, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Alternators Smokescreen and Commemorative Series Ultra Magnus, both from TRU.

2. timelord10

timelord10 Reverse the polarity!

News Credits:
    I stopped getting TFs in my early teens, as I thought I was getting too old for it. Then the movie toys came out and I thought 'screw it, these things are cool'. It was ROTF deluxe preview Bumblebee, I think

3. Rakuen_Nox

Rakuen_Nox Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Tftm deluxe Cliffjumper, who now acts as a mirage stand-in for the movieline

4. prime roller

prime roller 昔者莊周夢為胡蝶⋯

News Credits:
    I went back to Vancouver from living in China for a few years, and found wave 1 of Classics at Toys R Us.

So my 'comeback toy' was actually four: Astrotrain, Starscream, Hot Rod, and Bumblebee. Still some of my favorites.

5. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i don't think i can answer this, i mean i've been collecting since g2 :lol  and even then, i only stopped collecting because they stopped making g1. but soon after g2 there was beast wars, and so on. i've been buying transformers for that long. never stopped.

how ever i have taken small breaks from collecting, but i have never stopped.

6. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Beast wars sonar and optimus minor, back in 2000/2001. They had tonnes of BW figs in a discount shop called poundstretchers. God knows why I picked those two, but hey!

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TRU Reissue Optimus. It was all downhill from there.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I never really had a hard-edged 'comeback' as I never completely lost interest since 'outgrowing' TFs around 1987/8 or so, and got the occasional item through late G1 and early G2. The toy that I credit with my transition from kid fan/casual fan to obsessive collector is a G2 Laser Optimus Prime I got at a flea market in 1996. I pretty much went "When did they start making toys THIS good!?!" and have been varying degrees of hooked ever since.

9. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Well... As a child Transformers were my main toy interest. BW/BM was my thing. My mother (God bless the woman) could never get me everything I wanted, but I was able to at least have stuff that kept my interest fueled for the franchise, in which I'm extremely grateful for. As soon as I turned 8 I started mowing lawns for cash just so I could go to the store and keep fueling my addiction. All the stuff I ever bought or had received as gifts as a child I took extremely good care of (with the exception of losing small accessories that just generally get lost in 10 year's time) all of my Transformers, very rarely did I abuse or force things on them, and I generally liked displaying them in neat poses at a young age and just staring at them. I had a lot of stuff from BW/BM and a few things from RiD. Well then Armada came out. I was in love with RiD to say the least, so I figured the Armada stuff would be just as great. Well for a birthday one year I got Armada Hot Shot, and Sideways with the 3 Minicon combiner weapons. And that killed my interest wholly for the franchise. The lack of articulation and blockyness of the figures just didn't appeal to me. I had also gotten some birthday money that year and saw Armada Starscream (who was my favorite from the show) and passed it up just because the 2 I had just disappointed me to no extent. Kept watching the show until reruns started filling in and at the age I was at the time stopped watching it. Then I picked up a new hobby which I still have even now. I had an intense interest in music and wanted to be a musician & learn to play guitar.

So to afford my new found hobby, I had a garage sale... And I sold a lot of stuff that I had as a kid. Mostly Power Ranger stuff, Animorphs, Yu-Gi-Oh cards, Pokemon cards, a Gamecube & games, a load of VHS tapes, and a few TFs. I can't remember which TFs I got rid of as it's been so long ago, however all of the ones I cherished as a kid were not sold that day. I was 12 when this happened. I never saw the Energon show, however I caught Cybertron about 1/4 way into it's run and just had no interest anymore. Well 4 years later TFTM came out... And that's what sparked my interest in the franchise again, but I was never in stores enough to see if there was any product for it. Then ROTF came out. I was browsing YouTube to find some video clips & AMVs with scenes of the movie in it, when I happened upon the toy reviews some people were making. At first I was kind of like wtf, but then it started to intrigue me. I saw all this stuff from movie 1 being reviewed... Then I saw reviews for ROTF stuff.

I had enough cash on me when I was watching them, then I took a late night trip to Walmart. Grabbed a shopping cart, and sure enough shelves & pegs were lined. I grabbed Bumblebee, Sideswipe, leader Optimus, Jetfire, and Voyager Starscream.

And that's what got me hooked again. I bought a few animated figures... Only the ones that fancied my aesthetic interest. Then I got turned onto the classics line. And my wallet has been empty ever since.. I've bought a few Energon figures, plan on getting Cybertron Primus & Supreme Starscream and Armada Unicron (unless Amazon Restocks again, not paying ridiculous scalper prices!)

But now I'm hooked for life!

10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    20th Anniversary MP Optimus Prime.

11. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One of my friends got me a tru rodimus prime reissue for xmas...
    I didn't even know the term "reissue" existed and almost shit my pants when I saw a G1 rodimus in G1 styled packaging all minty in front of me. Think that was x-mas of '04.

I still didn't buy any tf's for myself after that, but the same friend brought in alternator smokescreen to work a few months later. I went out and tried to find myself one the same day, and ended up coming home with alt silverstreak.

Fell in love with the alt series after that and had to have them all. Started me down the dark path of collecting that I still haven't been able to break :lol 

12. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

13. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

TRU Exclusive Classics Soundwave with Ravage and Laserbeak.

I had always wanted a G1 Soundwave and cassettes (especially Laserbeak), and my then-GF bought it for my birthday. Wound up liking Ravage more than Laserbeak, by a longshot. Still love the Soundwave, though.

14. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    March of this year...Meijer put all of their ROTF, PCC and HFD transformers on clearance. I picked up ROTF Leader OP and Megatron for $22 each...been hooked since

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I never really stopped, as I used to buy friends old toys after G1 was done and dusted, but the interest and renewed hope for the futre of the brand was certainly delivered by finding an Optimus Primal in a toy shop, thinking "what the hell is that?" and buying it anyway.

16. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    The G1-throwback era around 2004-2005 really got be back into "collecting" TFs. I had always picked one up here and there, but Alternators Hound got me hooked on those at the same time TRU Reissue Jazz got me hooked on those. Once I got into collecting multiple lines, it was over. In the 6 years since, I've swelled my collection from next to nothing to over 2,000 Transformers, with no end in sight.

17. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Energon Megatron, I watched the first episode of Superlink subbed, Saw him in the end credits and HAD to have him.

18. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Masterpiece Optimus Prime. I simply couldn't walk away when I saw him on the shelf.

19. Inner-Demon

Inner-Demon Instrument of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    It was my first Masterpiece; MP-10 Optimus Prime. I bought 10 the day it went on sale from BBTS and fell in love with it, now I'm picking up desired figures and things I passed up while collecting Clone Wars.

20. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP TRU Grimlock... I have a lot of catching up to do lol