Your favorite year in gaming, and why?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by optimegatron, Jul 7, 2014.

1. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    Gaming has been around for a long time, and I'm sure some members of the boards have been around to witness it from its genesis.

So my question is: What is your favorite year in gaming, and why?

Is it because a certain console came out? Is it a game from a franchise you thought was dead? Is it the year you got into gaming? Share!

I've been gaming since 2002, and my favorite year in gaming is 2011. The last half of 2011 brought a whole bunch of games that I love to this day, with Dark Souls, Batman Arkham City, Sonic Generations, Skyward Sword, Assassin's Creed Revelations and Skyrim.

2. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

August of 91 through Aug 92. The early days of the SNES. *swoon*

3. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah those early days of the snes were fantastic. I didn't get mine til xmas morning of 1991, but I had worked at my dad's shop paying off the majority of the system we had put on layaway. parents paid off the remainder and got me a bunch of games to go with it xmas morning. I remember having a blast playing mario world, actraiser, final fight and pilot wings xmas morning. was on video game overdose.

those few months from august to december paying off the system and waiting were pretty painful though, especially when I had a few friends who's parents just went out and bought them genesis or snes systems so their kids would have something to play.

I was actually saving for a TG-16 before the snes came out as well, but I'm glad I waited and made the choice to go with ninty for that gen. So many good memories.

4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    2000 ps2 was released in japan. Pokemon silver and gold was released in America. Majoras mask was released. Both mario party 2 and 3. Dues ex, diablo 2, spyro 3, the sims, marvel vs capcom 2, tony hawk pro skater 2, paper mario, banjo tooie, jet set radio and a lot more.

5. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

1990. Super Mario Bros. 3

6. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    2007 was pretty good, it was really when I started to get into gaming after I got a 360, but soooo many good games came out, Halo 3, Mass Effect (ME alone is probably why 2007 will always be best for me), The Orange Box, The Witcher, Uncharted (never played this but i'm well-aware of the acclaim it's gotten), Assassin's Creed, Super Mario Galaxy, oh, and although I never got one, the PS3 was launched in the UK at the beginning of the year

2001 was the year I got my very first console; a Playstation one that I bought for £20 off my cousin, I have no idea what happened to it, I think we chucked it out when our garage was being extended :/

And in 2003 I got a Gameboy Advance SP along with Spyro Adventure, (I can't belive I still remember the name of it :lol ) that was great (the SP was probably also chucked out)

But yeah, for me personally, 2007 was the best

7. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

as far back as i can remember, i'm been playing video games since mid 87. playing games like galaga and space invaders at a very near by gas station.

at fall of 2001, something happened to my mind and i just went through hell until spring 2005.

i would hear demonic voices and see things that weren't really there, like maggots in my food. it got so bad that i would barely eat anything. a single slice of cheese with a glass of water one day, next day, nothing. next day, a cracker and water.

i heard things like i would die if i ate anything, i dont deserve to have nice things. went 3 years without playing VGs until one day, i felt something motivate me to move forward. i had a thousand bucks at the bank and in 2005 bought myself pokemon emerald with gameboy advance sp, ps2 with final fantasy 10 and platinum gamecube with pokemon xd included.

i had a blast with it. that summer, i bought games i missed out on like super mario sunshine, paper mario, super smash bros. melee, the resident evil games on gamecube, metal gear solid games on ps2. and countless others.

so yeah 2005 was a great year for me in gaming.

8. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It's hard to say. I mean, Super Metroid came out in 1994, which is my favorite game of all time, but I got a Playstation in 1997 and had the enjoyment of playing excellent games that year such as Tomb Raider, Twisted Metal 1 and 2, Castlevania SotN, MegaMan 8, Crash and Bandicoot. At the same time, I got into Resident Evil and Final Fantasy in 1998 with RE2 and FFVII.

2007 was a great year though as I went back and played every Final Fantasy game from 1-12 (well, I attempted XI).

2008 got me back into MGS though as I went on to play Snake Eater for the first time and then replayed the games all in chronological order. The same goes for GTA. IV got me into the GTA series so I went back and played them all, as well as attempting to play through the PS1 games.

After that, 2011 was amazing because I finally played Ocarina of Time for the first time on the 3DS and it is by far the greatest Zelda game ever made. Skyward Sword, Mario 3D Land, Batman Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Mortal Kombat, and Deus Ex HR all came out that year, which to me was the last truly great year for gaming at this point.

9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nineteen Ninety freaking four. 1994! Let's see... Final Fantasy 3, Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, Mortal Kombat 2, Illusion of Gaia, Super Punch Out, Sonic 3, Sonic and Kuckles, Super Street Fighter 2... I could go on. Seriously, tremendous year.

I also loved 2011 for Skyrim, Arkham City, Skyward Sword and AC Revelations, among others.

1997 was good to for having my favorite game, Castlevania SOTN, and a little RPG called Final Fantasy 7.

10. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

I would have to say that 2001 would be my favourite.

The Gameboy Advance, Xbox and Gamecube all released that year. Then you add in major game releases such as : Gran Turismo 3, Baldur's Gate 2, Final Fantasy X, Devil May Cry, Grand Theft Auto 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Halo, Super Smash Bros Melee, Ico, Civilization 3 and Pokemon Crystal. There were even new games in the F-Zero and Mario Kart series along with Luigi's Mansion. Too many games to even list here and most of them are some of my personal favourites.

If next year's game releases dont get delayed, it might come close to that level in quality too.

11. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Indeed. Seriously, feels like 2014 took a bullet for 2015 so it can live and be awesome.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    1982...how could you forget classics like ET the Video Game. :p 

13. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:

It brought me three of the best games to ever grace the original NES that I still play to do this day.

Super Mario Bros. 3
    StarTropics
    Mega Man 3

I still have so many memories of looking at issues of Nintendo Power and being so psyched for these games. Also playing the games thru the summer as a kid. StarTropics in particular was my most rented NES game ever from our local rental store.

I wish Nintendo would make a new StarTropics so much...

14. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

YES

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    1994 -1995 the two greatest RPGs ever made came out for the SNES FF III /VI and Chrono Trigger.

16. MaximusCubed

MaximusCubed Abnormal Survivor

1994 for me, the year of fighting games. However, I'd like to start with 1993.

Virtua Fighter
    Mortal Kombat II (this and VF were released in 1993)
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo
    Darkstalkers (first original CPS2 game and it looked incredibly amazing for the time)
    X-Men: Children of the Atom
    The King of Fighters '94 (first crossover fighting game!)
    Samurai Showdown II

17. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    MK2's home release was 1994 though, wasn't it? That's really the versions I played.