Your favorite recent toyline

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ultramagnus1, Nov 3, 2018.

?

Favorite subline of prime wars

1. Combiner wars

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. Titan returns

29 vote(s)
    54.7%
  3. Power of the primes

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. All three equally

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. Wasn't a fan of any

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  6. Studio series

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

With seige starting to show up I thought it was time to have a look back on the recent prime wars trilogy. Which of the sublimes was your favorite? Did you like all three equally or did you avoid all like the hate plague.

For me combiner wars ticked a lot of boxes. I finally own a menasor. Bruticus was a gem and both superion and defensor stand out as great Autobot combiners.

All three sublines had some great figures. What line did you enjoy the most?

• Like Like x 2
  2. King Glurch

King Glurch I’m gonna miss you when I’m gone

YouTube (Old):
    I'm gonna have to say POTP on this one. I mean, yeah it was very short-lived, but I just love the evolution gimmick. That is also why Rodimus Unicronus is my favorite Transformer that I own.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Titans Return was a return to form we haven’t seen since the ROTF days. Theres no topping, not with the current “3 waves a year” format.

• Like Like x 1
  4. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    1. Combiner Wars - my favorite gimmicks: combiners and Targetmasters.

20181103_144037.jpg

2. Power of the Primes - more of my favorite gimmicks, but too short.

20181024_021215.jpg

3. Titans Return - my least favorite gimmick with the Head-/Titanmasters, although we got some nice Targetmasters and some cool figures out of it.

20180820_012821.jpg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Studio Series. :p 
    20181021_101743.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  6. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Titans Returns- yeah, I started out by disliking anything Headmaster, but it grew on me. The figures were rather impressive, and we got some seriously good toys out of the deal- Sixshot, Misfire, Twin Twist/Top Spin, the Clones... Overall, more winners than stinkers.

Combiner Wars- while I was never hugely fond of the combining gimmick, Devastator will be a staple in my display for years to come. I also really enjoyed Bruticus. The rest were decent, but not memorable for me.

PotP- I'm happy with Abominus, Slash, Cindersaur and the mini-Pretenders. The rest, not so much. The shining star was Predaking, so at least there's that. He stands proudly with Devastator.

I was pleased to finally get the Insecticons, even if it took a while.

• Like Like x 3
  7. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

TR is my #1 for sure. I don't care if they did headmaster figures that weren't headmasters in the past. The line was fantastic. Even the Legends figures.

I will give POTP props for Volcanicus and the nicest G1-inspired CHUG Optimus ever.

CW accomplished the goal of updated combiner teams very well...if only we could have gotten a couple or few more unique molds.

And, I will give a nod to Studio Series for actually making me want to buy a Bay movie action figure. There are some undeniable winners to be had in there if you can put aside any distaste you may have for the movies themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    No option for the one that might be my recent favorite: Studio Series. I love it because it's a chance to redo some great designs that unfortunately came out odd due to being rushed to meet the movie release and often being based on early concepts rather than finalized designs. With it being a catch-all line, they don't have to focus on a particular movie.

It's especially great because characters who got robbed of having properly awesome toys the first time like Devastator are now way more accurate in so many regards.

• Like Like x 3
  9. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

TR for the deluxes, for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi I was on a break

News Credits:
    I’m not a big G1 fan (never grew up with the cartoons) so my pick would be Studio Series.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Old):
    I rather really loved all 3 equally. My favorite was Titans Return then followed by POTP then Combiner Wars. I think Titans Return was something we G1 fans haven't seen in about 30yrs. Then after that came POTP which i think was pretty good cause it had both combiner wars and titans return mixed together. I just hope this next trilogy starts off slow and gets better with age as just like a fine whiskey or a wine. I really can't wait to see what Omega Supreme looks like then last but not least the mighty Scorponoks which is a favorite of mine.

12. starquantumstratos85

starquantumstratos85 Well-Known Member

siege war for cybertron a ever g1 inspired optimus prime and megatron at a voyager size I'm very pleased..... hastak no more g1 optimus primes and megatrons

13. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Old):
    For me it would be POTP. Really enjoy the Terrorcons, Darkwing, Dreadwind, Slash, and Beachcomber.

14. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Studio Series ain't there so my vote goes to Titans Return. I really love the titan master gimmick, I loved having the titan masters interact with the larger toys.
    I like the gimmick so much it made me buy a leader figure just so my little dudes can have base to hang out on. Plus of course, the variety of characters we got for TR was really good!

EDIT: poll was specifically for Prime wars but thread title is "most recent toyline" so that's a bit mislieading

either way vote still stands, Titans Return rocks!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

I've been a fan of the fiction for years, but I only got into collecting last spring, so POTP, I guess. Although, I do remember seeing CW and TR in stores.

16. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Titans Return no contest. Between Hasbro and Takara, after over 3 decades I have what I consider the definitive toy for so many G1 characters such as Blurr, Hardhead, Brawn and Krok.

Even the legends were closer to the old scout size which I've long missed.

POTP has also given us some great figures such as Rodimus Prime, Beachcomber, Tailgate, Snarl and Cutthroat. Despite never being a fan of tiny figures, I do like the Pretenders.

However, POTP was an evolutionary gallop backwards into the sea with the useless Primemaster gimmick replacing the far superior Titanmasters and dragging Battletrap back into the annoyingly small pre Titans legend size class.

Titans Return wasn't without flaws either. It's been very disappointing that Blitzwing wasn't repainted as Flywheels or that the Octane mold couldn't sit a Titanmaster inside the cockpit of the plane or the cab of the truck.

And as for the Trilogy, indeed the franchise, how many Optimus Prime toys do we need?

That said though, Titans Return has been my favourite line since G2.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I love Combiner Wars. I just wish the distribution wasn't incredibly shitty. I wasn't impressed with Titan Returns at first, but fell in love with it later. Kinda wish it was still going on. Aside from the dinobots and a few other figs, power of the primes has been a real snoozer.

CW gets my vote but its veeeery close with TR.

18. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

No contest - Titans Return. My biggest TF obsession is the Japanese G1 trilogy and this line gave us the most characters from Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory out of any modern TF line. Plus we got additional Japanese G1 characters from Takara with Greatshot, a better Overlord, a better Ginrai, Godbomber, and the upcoming Dai Atlas and his buddies. My only gripe is we didn't get Twincast and Soundblaster.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Studio Series & Titans Return.

Never was a fan of the headmaster gimmick, my only experience was that meh voyager Brainstorm (can't even get the headmaster removed), but Titans Return made me fall in love with the gimmick. This line reminded me of my other favorite line the Thrilling 30.

20. Trevman20

Trevman20 Active Member

Studio Series for me