Your Favorite Bat-Suit

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Mako Crab, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I love his Catwoman too. He's one of the few artists that uses the concept that someone as active as her would probably be buff as heck without going into massive territory, so her skintight outfit shows off as much muscles as it does curves.
    selina-kyle-5916-normal.jpg The-Long-Halloween-Poison-Ivy-Issue.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    My favorite comic suits are drawn by Greg Capullo.
    38202151_1780246895427846_3555646761131311104_n.jpg
    STK634289.jpg
    8dbc7310fa10e3134fbd419ce9015454.jpg
    batman_51_interview.jpg
    Most important about Batman art I think is the way the eyes are drawn. Compare the way Ivan Reis (a fantastic writer active at the same time as Capullo) draws the same suit as the one in the top picture:
    JusticeLeague15.jpg
    I don't really care for the way some people render every crease in Bruce's browline as though the cowl was vacuum sealed to his head. And the way the eyes are fitted to regular human size doesn't really do it for me either. I love the way that Capullo's eyes disappear into a totally black shape in all but the closest shots.

I know from their Twitters that Capullo favors the short ears while Snyder favors the long. One thing I like about the Zero Year suit from him is the way the ears splay out a little, like the original Detective 27 suit. If the ears are long I prefer they have a bit of a splay, as opposed to the straight up and down ears of Tim Sale's Batman.
    91GK5J9ifIL.jpg
    Batman_JL.png
    That's also why I think the Justice League outfit is my favorite DCAU Batsuit. The reintroduction of the blue highlights from the original suit make it look less plain than the TNBA suit. Darwyn Cooke's Batman again had the larger, nondescript eyes and splayed out ears.

I think the Season 1-2 BTAS costume is the only one I really care for the yellow oval on. I do like how Capullo's Rebirth used the yellow in the logo though.

Christian_Bale_as_The_Dark_Knight.jpg
    The Dark Knight Rises suit is my current favorite movie suit. It's starting to think about being more than one color. The Pattinson suit (or possibly suits?) is looking very promising though. Can't wait for toy solicits to get a full look.

0538177fa79acdccae5f7d934e50b2349d82a7b1_00.jpg

Arkham City's suit does a lot of stuff I don't like on movie and comic outfits, but makes it work in 3D. Maybe it's just Conroy's voice selling it. I like the more armored (but not fully armored like Arkham Knight's) look.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @MatrixOfWumbo
    I like how the bat logo has a yellow outline in those first couple pics you posted. If there’s no yellow oval, I think the outline is a good substitute. I don’t mind if it’s just a black bat logo on a black suit, but it does tend to get lost. Especially during fight scenes.
    The yellow really helps it pop.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I think the reason why the oval fell out of favor was that it limited the size of the bat itself. Maybe that was due to changes in inking technology allowing you to use more fine detail instead of bright colors to differentiate objects on panel, or maybe it was just preference. The new suit in Three Jokers is a good example of this, I think. The oval makes it kinda scrunchy. The yellow outline was probably Capullo's compromise for this, but Batman literally said on panel that he was becoming too different and changed back to his evergreen outfit shortly into Rebirth. I recall Capullo being kinda peeved.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Muted blue cowl & cape over medium grey with the black bat symbol. The Hush costume in short. Was never a fan of the yellow oval.

6. Convoy Prime

Convoy Prime The True Autobot

For me it will always be the classic 70s to 90s Batsuit. Just the way it was in the comic book that first introduced me to the character:
    Aurora Batman.jpg
    It may have just been a pack in comic for the old model kit, but it was a brilliant story, showing Batman through the eyes of the criminals he was stalking, making him appear terrifying. It's one of the main reasons I got into comic books in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X 8-Bit NPC Wandering Around the Axe Cop RPG

News Credits:
  8. Darker

Darker The Lord of the Dark

News Credits:
    I don't think someone's brought him up yet but I saw a user mention they liked the more big eared Batmen.

Kelley Jones is the king among big eared Batman artists.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just love how absurdly bulky and monstrous he looks, even when Kelley isn't drawing his vampire Batman stories.

John Bolton also drew a big eared and rather unnatural looking Batman, befitting how some people in Gotham think of him as a ghoul or monster.

[​IMG]

Of course, in terms of Batman artists, Neal Adams is the absolute best, undeniably, but these two have an identity that help them stand out on their own, beyond just their artstyles.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

10. Darker

News Credits:
    I can't see this one, and I don't think it's just me

11. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    Ah dangit the picture poofed. It was a pic of the Batman Beyond suit. D:

12. Darker

News Credits:
    It's a pretty nice suit to matter where

Be it the cartoon...

[​IMG]

The comics...

[​IMG]

The Arkham Knight game...

[​IMG]

A female variant...

[​IMG]

Red and black may be an overused combination, but it's a fine combination still.