Your experience/issues with chrome plated figure limbs/parts

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Deceptibot, Jan 26, 2017.

?

Have you had issues with chrome plating?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. Deceptibot

Deceptibot Well-Known Member

I've been buying a lot of Fans Toys figures lately with chrome parts such as Grenadier, Mercenary, Forager, Soar, Sever and Stomp. Up until yesterday I didn't have any issues with the chrome plating on limbs etc. Upon opening a brand new FT-07 Stomp from a well known online Toy Store, I noticed this on his right foot...

[​IMG]

I sent an e-mail to the Store explaining this and sent them the same pic as above. This morning they responded by saying they have gotten a lot of negative feedback about similar issues with the chrome plating like mine. Since there is a certain amount of inconsistency from the factories they do not honor this situation as a "factory defect" and are unwilling to exchange for another figure.

Before I send a really shitty e-mail back, I'd like to get opinions from anyone willing to, about similar quality control issues with their figures. I realize nothing is going to be perfect, and there's going to be imperfections, but how often are there issues with the gold chrome like the one I have? Is it normal? Do you agree that it's not worthy of an exchange?

So far I haven't had any issues with chrome from Fans Toys and I'm frustrated that this e-tailer is using the fact that they possibly have a bad batch of Stomps as an excuse to not exchange mine. I look at their response and see "We realize there's multiple customers with defective products, but this isn't our fault it's Fans Toys' and we're not going to take the loss because of it".

Opinions?....

2. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to be glib, but you need to find a new store.

• Like Like x 3
  3. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree that's just straight up a defect. Any other store I have experience with would replace it.

4. Deceptimatrix

Deceptimatrix Warrior Elite

Instead of asking to swap out the complete figure maybe try asking for a replacement foot?

• Like Like x 3
  5. Deceptibot

Deceptibot Well-Known Member

Trust me, I'm done with this place. I'm sticking to Toy Dojo, TCP and Robot Kingdom from now on.

Worth a shot, can't hurt at this point

• Like Like x 2
  6. Deductor

Deductor Banned

• Like Like x 2
  7. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is why i don't want any chrome on my MP figures if I have a choice. It's probably the biggest aspect of toon I prefer over toy.

Not sure if that foot can swap out easily but if so, they should definitely do that for you or maybe Fans Toys will directly.

8. XIII

XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FansToys is certainly hit or miss with their chrome. I have 10 or so FansToys figures and at least half of them have some kind of chrome issues right out of the box. My Scoria is pretty poorly done, with a big finger print on the dino nose and the "yellow" clear coat to make the chrome look gold being very uneven. I got him from a BBTS and they would not help me. I don't buy from them any more. My Stomp is fantastic. On Forager, the chrome on the wigs was way too thick around shoulder gimbal. I had to take him apart and shave some of the chrome off to make the wings work. I will say that I've never had anything chip or ware after the fact. In that regard, they are always pretty good. It was either poorly done to begin with or perfect to begin with. Never anything in between... So far.

As for other 3rd parties, Most seem to avoid the use of chrome. When they do use it, they seem to be consistently good when they use chrome. At least on the figures I have.

Takara/Hasbro is also a bit hit or miss. There chrome usually starts out fantastic but about 1/4 the time it wares very quickly or tarnishes just by looking at it.

If your retailer will not help you, than you should buy else ware... but I guess you've already decided that. I use TFSource for just about all my 3rd party figs and they have never even once failed to provide me with parts or a full replacement

9. robh

robh Decepticon

yeah basically they should replace it, if it looked like that out of the box. You are buying a new, premium figure. It should be premium. Honestly, even if that was on something I picked up at target, I'd probably take it back. Worst case, dispute it with your CC company or paypal depending on how you paid. They'll probably get you a replacement real quick once you threaten that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Weezie

Weezie COVID SUCKS TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wasn't there a similar problem with GP Grassor? I think they solved the issue with some kind of car wax.

11. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    I've only had a few problems with chromed stuff. My Stomp only had one side of the "sight" on his gun chromed, but I was sent another gun absolutely free. My Henkei Megatron has had the chrome fade from his chest, but I'm pretty sure that was from rough handlings. That's really about it, everything else I have that has chrome on it is clean.

12. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

Some scare mongering for ya.
    [​IMG]
    Mind you, these are older than most you guys.

Surprised no one fears the rubber tires like Hot Toys collectors...

13. Weezie

Weezie COVID SUCKS TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Haven't had any issues personally, but I don't doubt they exist.

14. OverBleed

OverBleed I Love This Show!

The tiny little dots are they raised or are they bubble pop marks? The other bigger scuff mark is from rubbing against the foam packaging. I've had that happen after packing some figures away without covering the chrome.